Princess Sunburst

How the News Broke

It had been by nightfall, as the moon shone brightly over Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in which the news first broke that Voldemort was dead, killed by Harry Potter. The news was revealed on a special broadcast of Potterwatch held by Lee Jordan in Myrtle’s bathroom, the only private location left now that the Room of Requirement was destroyed by Vincent Crabbe’s careless actions, actions that cost him his life. Rather than broadcasting in secret, it was done openly; now that Voldemort was no more, they were allowed to broadcast. Kingsley set it up when he went to get a handle on the Ministry. With Fred (Rapier) and Remus (Romulus) dead, and Kingsley (Royal) dealing with the Ministry, Lee (River) handled the broadcast on his own. Out of everyone in the castle, only two students were permitted to sit in on the broadcast: Harry James Potter and Apollonia Lily Evans Snape.

It was Harry who suggested the idea that the news first get released over a final broadcast of Potterwatch, done as a show of gratitude for all those people whom refused to believe in Voldemort’s hypocritical Pureblood agenda. Then there was the fact that the Prophet was still untrustworthy, choosing to report fictitious dribble, á la Rita Skeeter, rather than the truth. No, it was best if the news got broken over the last broadcast of Potterwatch; it was only right, especially given that most of the Potterwatch listeners either fought valiantly in the war and died, or were Potter supporters. They deserved to hear the news first, given that they were loyal followers of the renegade program during its infancy. And so, Lee Jordan, Harry Potter, and Apollonia Snape began the final broadcast of the beloved program Potterwatch.

***

As he sat in front of the microphone, Lee Jordan was shaking. The dark, dreadlocked young man had spent months doing this; it was his baby. Now, that the war was over, now that one of his best friends—the one that helped make this show such a success—was gone, the confidence that Lee once had for the commentator job that had been his since second year when Fred and George became Gryffindor’s beaters, much to everyone’s—including older brother Charlie’s—displeasure was gone as well. Lee had seen how the loss of his other half affected George; and, it affected Lee as well. Not only him actually, but all the Weasleys, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Apollonia Snape, Angelina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet, Katie Bell, and Oliver Wood as well. And, the way that it affected Lee was through his passion for commentating. Would Lee be able to do this one last time?

A hand was laid on his shoulder and the young man looked over to see Apollonia Snape give him a comforting look. Lee nodded; Snape’s daughter was nothing like him. They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, or at least that how the Muggle phrase went, but in this case, they were so very wrong. “Come on, Jordan; you can do this,” the Snape whispered.

Once again, Lee nodded and began announcing. “Well, folks, it’s River here and I’m sad to sad that this will be our last broadcast. Yes, yes, I know you’re all out there complaining about losing your favorite program—I would be too if I was out there with you—but, just as dawn broke this morning, some fantastic news was brought to light. Harry Potter killed Tom Marvolo Riddle; for those of you who don’t know and must have been living under a rock for some time now, that’s the bastard Lord Voldemort who has terrorized us for so long. Yes, you heard it here first folks, the war is over and the wicked old wizard is dead.

***

In all parts of the Wizarding World, cheers could be heard in celebration of the news. The tyranny had ended. The persecution had ended. It was time for them to start living again. However, there were a few pockets of Voldemort supporters plotting, planning to take revenge for the fall of their belief system.

***

Lee was grinning to himself as he made that first announcement to the world, rather pleased that Harry would grant him the opportunity to make this announcement; it was a true honor to be the one to tell everyone. It was the news the world had been waiting to hear for the last nine months. And, it was nice that the program was being broadcast throughout the Wizarding World, to all homes tuned into WWN so that everyone would know of the events that transpired early in the morning of May 2nd, 1998. For the majority of the magical community, Voldemort’s tyrannical rule brought them nothing but suffering; there was pain and suffering everywhere one went. Until now, only Potterwatch gave people hope, kept them from succumbing to the insane rule that Voldemort had over the Wizarding World. Harry’s triumph over such a monster was exactly what the world needed. And, he did what everyone else dared not do, put Voldemort in his place.

However, there were losses sustained in the thrilling battle that ended Voldemort’s tyranny and Lee had no choice but to announce them as well. It was a part of the program, announcing the names of those killed and a moment of silence for them. “Yes, yes, the news of his triumph over the Dark Lord Voldemort is spectacular news. However, there were heavy losses sustained in the six hours that the battle raged.” And, so Lee began reading off the names of the known dead, as well as how they died if that was known. Finally, it came down the last five names of the fifty that were dead; there were the most important of the group, the ones that were active participants throughout the entire ordeal.

…Colin Creevey also perished in battle, fighting valiantly on the front lawn before being killed. Remus Lupin, otherwise known as Potterwatch’s beloved correspondent Romulus, perished as well, killed at the hand of Antonin Dolohov. His wife Nymphadora Tonks-Lupin is also gone as well, killed by her aunt, Bellatrix Lestrange. As he fought alongside older brother Percy, Fred Weasley was killed in the collapse of a seventh floor wall. For those of you who do not know, Fred Weasley was Potterwatch’s correspondent, Rapier. And finally, just one last loss was sustained in the battle, that being Severus Snape; killed by order of Lord Voldemort using pet familiar, the snake Nagini. And now I’d like all you listeners out there to join me in a moment of silence for all those killed, all those who fought valiantly in the battle of Hogwarts and lost their lives for what they believed in.

***

As they were Muggles, there was no way for the Creevey family to hear about their older son’s death. No, it was a letter from their son Dennis that allowed the parents to become aware of their son’s demise. Mrs. Creevey was hunched over, tears in her eyes as she grieved for her son. Mr. Creevey had an arm wrapped around his wife, a tight grip on the letter from Dennis. It would take a long while for the pair to get over this one, the loss of a son.

***

Andromeda Tonks was listening to the final broadcast of Potterwatch when she nearly fell from her chair at River’s announcement that Remus and Nymphadora were dead. She had wondered why neither one returned and feared the worst. Nymphadora’s death was especially heart-wrenching. Not only was she killed after sneaking out to help her husband fight, but she was killed by her aunt. Bellatrix always was fully immersed in the Pureblood mania, especially fawning over Voldemort; Andromeda blamed Grandma Irma for that one.

Little Teddy was asleep for the night and Andromeda was glad for that. It would not do well for the boy to hear of his parents’ deaths. Not yet at least. But, in knowing what happened, Andromeda began expecting a Floo Call from either Harry Potter or Apollonia Snape. They were, after all, the boy’s godparents. Arrangements would have to be made regarding Remus’s and Nymphadora’s funerals, as well as what would happen to Teddy now that his parents were gone. It was going to be an interesting couple of weeks as the Wizarding World was restored to the order it lost when Rufus Scrimgeour died.

***

Yes, sad stuff, sad stuff indeed,” Lee was saying. “And now, due to the loss of Romulus and Rapier, as well as Royal’s—that’s Kingsley Shacklebolt to those of you who don’t know—duties to clean up the Ministry and restore it to its natural order, we have a special guest for all of you here tonight. He’s spent nine months on the run and just this morning defeated the darkest wizard of all time. Ladies and Gentlemen, witches and wizards of all ages, it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you the one, the only: Harry Potter!

Said young man, the boy-who-lived, shook his head at the theatricality in which Lee felt the need to announce his presence. Why did he agree to do this again? Oh, yeah; it was to make the Wizarding World aware of the truth. The Daily Prophet was never an option; Skeeter always created fiction, making the story more interesting than it actually was, rather than reporting the truth. The Quibbler was an option, just as it had been in years past. However, the Lovegoods were recovering from what happened and might not be able get a new issue out. No, Potterwatch seemed like the best option, as Lee was always someone he could trust. And, his commentating skills were legendary here at Hogwarts. Perhaps a little embellishment on his part, but Lee Jordan always told the truth, supported Harry in everything that was happening. And, that was Harry’s reasoning behind allowing the news of Voldemort’s destruction to be revealed over Potterwatch, for loyalty’s sake.

Thank you, River,” Harry replied. It didn’t make any sense to Harry that Lee had not yet revealed his identity. He revealed Remus’s, Kingsley’s, and Fred’s, but not yet his own. “It’s been a long nine months for some of you out there, myself as well. In the past nine months, I have seen things that no witch or wizard should ever have to see again. I spent much of my life battle a maniac, who turned out to be a distant relative of mine.” That disturbed Harry; that it was a distant relative trying to destroy him. “In making such a revelation, it occurred to me: if we’re all related in some way or another, why is it that we’re fighting with one another. Yes, we’re all of different blood, whether it be Pureblood, half-blood, muggleborn, or anything in between, but it does not make a difference in our magic abilities.

Since first entering the Wizarding World at age eleven, it was mentioned by Hagrid that there were those who thought they were better than everyone because of their pure blood. Well, technically, it was mentioned the following year when Malfoy called Hermione a Mudblood, but it was implied during first year. In any case, no one did anything to change it, never mind the fact that most people were related to one another. Well, it was time to do something about that. It was time to rally together, put aside the differences and focus on the common bonds. “I do not want to see that happen again. From this day forward, I refuse to permit any intolerance towards others. It cost me too dearly and I almost lost out on something I could have needed.” Harry nodded to his sister as he spoke. It was his intolerance of Severus Snape that cost Harry the opportunity to get to know his sister. She forgave him for that, but still; the knowledge of his sister eluded him for the past seven years because of the man’s attitude towards him for what happened in the past. And, Harry was not about to let anything like that happen to anyone else.

***

Thank you, Harry, for those words of advice. I think everyone would do well to follow it,” Lee said jovially. “And, we have one more guest here tonight before we conclude here tonight. She’s here at Mr. Potter’s special request to make something known to the world. And, people, even I don’t know what is about to be revealed here tonight. It’s a surprise to me as well. So now, without further ado, may I introduce our final guest for this evening: Ms. Apollonia Snape.

Apollonia grinned and took control of the microphone from Lee. It was agreed that not even Lee would discover that he was sitting beside Harry’s sister. There were perhaps a dozen people given knowledge of Apollonia’s identity, half of which were now dead: Tonks, her parents, James, Dobby, Dumbledore, and Fred; the last of which she now owed a favor to. That was all of the people allowed to know before she revealed the truth here tonight; it made the young Snape glad that Draco knew, for he would never willing listen to Potterwatch. The only other one that Apollonia wished had knowledge of the news that she was about to give was George Weasley. Given what he lost, it was only fair. However, the Potterwatch broadcast occurred before Apollonia got the chance to say anything to him about that. She would deal with that later though, when it came time to confront the Weasleys.

Hello, all! I’m sure you all recognize my last name. Many of you might remember Severus Snape as the Potions Master at Hogwarts or even his Death Eater persona. But, to understand Dad’s motives for everything he did, one must first understand me. Although, I will admit that it’s a little difficult since much of my life was spent invisible. However, if one did get to know me, they would understand that I am the most important person in my father’s life. I am the reason he did everything, for all he did was to protect me.” In weaving this little story, it delayed telling everyone that she was Harry’s sister. Unfortunately, she was still unsure how the Weasleys, especially Ron, would take that news.

The Slytherin looked over and saw that Lee Jordan was looking at her with rapt attention. Obviously Dad’s true loyalty really stirred up a few questions. No one actually understood the real story behind what happened; it was the reason she was doing this now. “During the final battle, Harry Potter raised questions about my father’s loyalty, stating that it was the love for Harry’s mother, Lily Potter, which led to his loyalty change. Have you figured it yet? I’m sure that some of you have. Because it’s the truth. Lily Potter meant everything to my father. It was the discovery that Voldemort would go after her that led to his spying days.

Lee eyed her suspiciously. “But, that would mean…

Oh yes, River; that it does. Lily Potter is my mother. I came here tonight so as to inform the Wizarding World of that. Of the fact that this secret might have died with my father. Harry Potter is my brother. Until now, it was the most well-kept secret in the world.

***

The announcement that Apollonia Snape made on the evening of May 2nd, 1998 on the final broadcast of Potterwatch rocked the very fabric of the Wizarding World. For Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy—who were hoping to escape what happened at Hogwarts and were flipping through the programs on the wireless when they came upon the Potterwatch broadcast—each one had different reactions. Lucius flew into a flurry of rage when he heard that news, for he had come within inches of making Potter’s sister into a Death Eater.

Narcissa was slightly more understanding of the situation. She had watched the young Snape grow up over the years and cared as much about her as she did her own son. It occurred to the woman that she had not only protected Potter but his sister as well, mostly by accident. There was no indication, no tell-tale sign that Apollonia had a brother, particularly the one that the Malfoy family opposed so vehemently. “I never knew that Apollonia had a brother, let alone it being Harry Potter,” the Malfoy woman said.

“Neither did I,” Lucius scowled.

“I wonder if Draco heard,” Narcissa mused.

It was at that point in which the young Malfoy heir happened upon his parents talking about. He heard the word Apollonia and immediately went in, guessing they heard about the secret that Apollonia was keeping from them for the past twenty months, even though she wasn’t exactly around them since before learning this truth. The only reason he wasn’t affected by the news was because he figured it out and had time to accept the news. “Mother, Father, what’s going on in here?”

“Snape’s daughter is Potter’s sister,” Lucius sneered.

Thought so, the young Malfoy thought. His parents were eventually going to learn that Apollonia was Potter’s sister. It was better if they found out sooner rather than later. “I know.”

What?

***

For the second time that night, Andromeda Tonks was shocked by the news that was revealed on this broadcast of Potterwatch. Apollonia Snape was Harry Potter’s sister. If that was so, why was this never mentioned before? She would have to ask the pair of siblings when they came to speak with her about what would happen to Teddy. It was rather interesting; a pair of siblings acting as one boy’s godparents; how did that one happen?

***

The Weasleys returned to the Burrow for the evening; Hogwarts was not the best place for them to stay. It was a warzone at the moment, for there were still bodies littering the Great Hall. As the group gathered around the wireless for the last broadcast of Potterwatch, which Lee told them to listen to, everyone was wondering how this broadcast would change. Romulus and Rapier were gone; was it really possible for them to do this last broadcast? When Apollonia mentioned that she was Harry’s sister, everyone had different reactions.

In hearing what Apollonia said on Potterwatch’s last broadcast, Bill nodded in understanding, realizing what the young Snape meant by wanting to know what was going on with Harry; she was concerned for the sake of her brother and wanted to know how he was doing. It also explained why Tonks stuck up for her when it seemed she had no reason to; the metamorphagus was aware of this secret and had been for the last year. Bill wondered about that, why she would be so insistent that she be told about what Harry was doing. It was starting to make sense now. Apollonia’s motives for everything made a lot more sense with this discovery.

To the French woman that was seated by her husband, learning that the girl who saved her husband’s life turned out to be Harry Potter’s sister caused things to make a lot more sense. Why would a random student step in to help him, even if she did know him from when she was a little girl? The way Fleur saw it, the fact that Apollonia Snape was actually related to the champion of the Wizarding World helped explain why the daughter of a Death Eater—whether he was loyal to Dumbledore or not—wished to help William so much.

For Charlie Weasley, his mind was buzzing. He had insulted Harry Potter’s sister. He spent years annoyed by the fact that Apollonia Snape would prank him like that; she was as bad as Fred and George were; only that it was concentrated to this particular prank. Why else would she have done it to him, Fred, George, and Ron? Now, he discovered that the little girl he insulted was Harry Potter’s sister. Damn it! What the hell was he thinking? The pair would probably hate him for the rest of his life after the way he treated Apollonia over the years. Yes, that was fair; after the way that Charlie treated her, it was only right that he get shunned. Turnabout was only fair play, and he would accept whatever Harry and Apollonia planned on doing to him; he’d let them have their revenge on him.

Upon hearing the news that Apollonia Snape was Harry’s sister, the only thing that was going through George Weasley’s mind was the fact that Fred would never know about this. It was upsetting to know that this was one of the first things that he and his twin could not share together. And, it appeared as if he would not be able to cash in that favor; Apollonia offered to grant a reasonable favor if either he or Fred could figure out her biggest secret. Obviously that wasn’t going to work since it had to be before Harry found out. Well, he definitely knew now. There was no way that he could get any favor out of this now. It was actually kind of funny now that George thought about it; Apollonia Snape offered to let him and Fred sell her Mottled Dye potion while it was her brother whom invested in the shop and eventually let to Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes opening in the first place.

Percy Weasley was genuinely shocked by the news that Snape’s daughter was actually Harry’s sister. He had not expected that one, not in the very least. In the few times that he had seen the young girl wandering about the castle, it never appeared as if Apollonia Snape was his sister. While Harry was impulsive and often had trouble find him, especially with the Ministry, Snape’s daughter often made it seem like she didn’t exist, quietly focusing on her studies and not looking for danger as her brother did; it was two opposing ends of the spectrum: an impulsive trouble magnet and a quiet, studious girl that spent most of her life not getting noticed all that often, not like most of the other Slytherins. They did not exactly seem like the typical siblings; though, he was nothing like any of his siblings.

Discovering the news that Apollonia Snape was Harry’s sister seemed to relax Ginny a little bit. There had always been a part of the Weasley girl, specifically after she and Harry broke up, that felt slighted that Apollonia would get involved in everything that was going on. She, Luna, and Hermione were the only girls that seemed to support Harry wholeheartedly over the years, at least that was what it seemed. Ginny was immensely grateful that a Slytherin was willing to help, but was annoyed because it seemed as if Apollonia was encroaching on her territory. Learning that Apollonia was Harry’s sister allayed such fears.

Only one thing was going through Ronald Weasley’s head when the announcement was made on the wireless: it couldn’t be true! There was no way that a Slytherin could ever be related to Harry. Slytherins were the reason for everything that happened over the last seventy years; they were all dark wizards and witches, especially that Snape. No, there was no way that Harry could have a slimy snake for a sister; she had to have placed an enchantment over Harry. “No way!” Ron raged. “There’s no way that snake could be Harry’s sister; he doesn’t have any siblings. No family at all! They were all killed.”

Both Arthur and Molly attempted to calm their youngest son down; he was being unreasonable. After everything that they just fought for, after everything happened because the rivalry between Gryffindors and Slytherins was so severe, their youngest son was willing to believe that Slytherins would never change. Both of them could see the sweet girl underneath that Slytherin label and the explanation that it was Lily Potter’s daughter only reaffirmed the girl’s nature, to be exactly like her mother. Neither one could see why Ron had such a problem with this. Arthur had watched as the young Slytherin checked in on the Dursleys, cared enough about the Dursleys to protect them, which could be explained by being related to them. Molly was just thankful that Harry had someone he could rely on.

Everyone in the house seemed to have different reactions to this unexpected news. But, one thing was definitely certain; when Harry and Apollonia returned, there was going to be a very long discussion held. There were some people in this house, as Hermione could obviously tell by the reactions everyone was having, that needed to work through this. And, as she expected, it was Ron who had difficulty accepting the news that Apollonia was Harry’s sister.

***

For miles around the Parkinson Manor, all of which was land owned by her father, a scream could be heard from a room filled with pink. Upon hearing the news announced on the wireless—she was trying to get her mind off of everything that happened over the last twenty-four hours and she was hoping that there would be some Pureblood propaganda she could hear; too bad she hadn’t expected that everyone would be so quick to restore the Ministry to what it once was—it was the only thing that Pansy Parkinson could do. Within the last twenty-four hours, Pansy insulted Harry Potter; and now she discovered that she spent years torturing his sister. Nothing good could come of this, of that, Pansy was absolutely certain.

After spending much of their sixth year insulting the girl, Pansy discovered that she was Snape’s daughter. The discovery that it was also Potter’s sister only seemed to intensify the problem. What was going to happen to her now that she insulted the two people she hated the most, the two people that seemed the most important at the moment: Potter for what he did early this morning in defeating Voldemort and Snape because her father turned out to be loyal to Dumbledore. What was her life going to turn into because of this faux pas?

***

That is one interesting little secret there, Snape. Definitely not something that I ever expected. Well, in any case, that’s concludes our final broadcast for the evening. I’m Lee Jordan and thank you for listening and supporting Harry Potter over the past year,” Lee said, closing out Potterwatch’s final broadcast. He then turned to look at Harry and Apollonia. “Siblings.”

“Finally!” Apollonia said, letting out a sigh of relief. “I thought I’d never be able to get that secret off my chest.” It had to be done though. The longer she kept this secret from the world, the bigger the backlash there might be. No, the secret had to be told at the earliest possible convenience. “And yes, Lee; Harry really is my brother; there’s a blood test to prove it.” She saw Harry smirk at that. “Yes, yes, shut it, Harry. I can see that your idea turned out to be a good idea. It might be the only possible way that Ron would believe me.”

Harry nodded. “It’s the only way he’d believe.”

“He probably wouldn’t trust it,” Apollonia scoffed.

“And that’s why the fact that it can’t be faked comes in handy,” Harry pointed out. “I’ve spent seven years listening to Ron; I know how he thinks. He’s going to try to come up with any excuse that says you’re not who you claim. Hermione has all the proof we need to explain all of this; she can help us prove to Ron that what he believes is false.”

“How will he react to you being Slytherin’s descendant?” she asked. Surely the fact that Harry was related to Salazar Slytherin would come up during the conversation, especially since the proof to Ron also mentioned that particular fact. She laughed. “You were accused of being the Heir to Slytherin five years ago. Turns out, that accusation was actually the truth.”

“Explains why I almost went to Slytherin,” Harry muttered.

“I almost wish you were,” Apollonia responded in a quiet voice. “I might have found you sooner.” It had been obvious that the two of them were siblings. Yet, there was no way for her to uncover that fact, not until she saw the image in her father’s memory. And, if she hadn’t done that, the secret might have died with him, for no one else would have been willing to tell her.

By the time they ended the conversation, Harry and Apollonia had helped Lee with his things and were on their way out of the castle, heading for the edge of the grounds and getting ready to apparate back to have a chat with the Weasleys. “See you two later!” Lee called. “I may stop by the Burrow some time this week to see how George is doing.”

As Lee apparated away, Apollonia was reminded of her promise to Fred. It was the last conversation she had with the young man, and she agreed to watch over George for him. The fact that Fred’s spirit bound her to such a promise made the upcoming conversation with the Weasleys that much more important; it would make her aware of how she went about helping George, whether it be in secret or around the rest of the family. She grimaced slightly as they approached the school’s bounds. “Well, it’s time to deal with the Weasleys.”

Harry nodded. “Let’s hope it works.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I've always wondered how the news of Harry's victory would become known to the world. I went with Potterwatch, as that seemed to be the one that Harry would trust the most after being exposed to the nine months under Voldemort's rule. It kept the hope alive during those months, so Harry would be more likely to trust Lee with this.

Comment and subscribe.