Princess Sunburst

Forgotten Torture

Gabriel Selwyn. The monster that decimated the Prince family. Because of his decision to kill his own sister, Apollonia was now in the same boat as Harry. It was not what Harry wanted for his sister, to have lost her family in the same way that he did. They were all each other had left. And, it was thanks to the blood prejudice that Voldemort bolstered over the last year, the year that he was in control. Selwyn has to be destroyed. He nearly killed me in the Battle over Little Whinging; attacked Xenophilius Lovegood when he tried to help us, though he did try to turn us in; and killed my sister’s family. I won’t let him do something like this ever again.

Time and time again, Apollonia Lily Evans Snape proved to everyone around her that she was more than willing to help Harry in his quest to destroy Voldemort. But, for her father’s role in Dumbledore’s death, she was shunned for a little less than a year. Now was Harry’s chance to make up for that, for all that he had done to her in the past year. Making sure that the monster that killed her family would help; it would help make up how he treated her. It’s truly my only chance at helping to keep my sister from going through any more pain. Thanks to the influence from Augustus Rookwood and Gabriel Selwyn, his sister had to suffer through several bouts of the Cruciatus. He wanted them in Azkaban for that.

Many had suffered by the hands of Augustus Rookwood and Gabriel Selwyn, none more so than Apollonia and George. For that, they were the Death Eaters in which Harry wanted more than anything to see go to Azkaban. Rookwood was still out there, somewhere. But, Selwyn was here. In just a few minutes, it would be known by all that Gabriel Selwyn was nothing more than a monster, a monster willing to kill his own family for the sake of blood purity.

As Selwyn was brought into the courtroom in chains, Harry could not help but notice the look he gave Apollonia. There was a twisted smile on his face, which could only spell trouble. Harry kept a hand on his sister’s shoulder to prevent her from reacting. “Don’t react,” he warned. “He wants you to react. After what he did to your family, he’s expecting it.”

“He killed them though,” Apollonia whispered.

“I know. And he attacked me during the Battle of Little Whinging,” Harry revealed to his sister. “He’s attacked the both of us at some point during the war, you more so than me, it appears. But, don’t react. Falling for his bait will only mean that he’s won.”

“But…”

“He’s a twisted monster,” Harry reminded her, “and he’s getting under your skin.” The young hero remembered his sister’s words from earlier in the day. “You said that you wouldn’t be able to handle watching as Selwyn recounted his crimes. Perhaps you were right.”

“No,” Apollonia argued. “I need to see him sent away.”

Harry stared at his sister in confusion. Before Umbridge’s trial, she said that she might not be able to listen as Selwyn recounted his transgressions. However, now that it was time for Selwyn’s trial to commence, she seemed intent on learning all that he did as Death Eater; no matter how difficult it might be for her listen to Selwyn’s account of how his – and her – family was killed. Harry had to wonder what changed her mind, why she was willing to listen to her cousins’ murder now, knowing that it would haunt her for the rest of her life.

Apollonia shrugged. “I just need to know that he’ll go to Azkaban,” she said quietly. “Knowing how they died, it’s a necessary sacrifice to know that he’ll be out of my hair forever.”

“Well, remember that I’m right here to help,” Harry said.

“I know,” she said.

Shortly after Harry had the chance to remind his sister hat he would be right there at her side throughout the trial, Kingsley began the trial. It was time for Selwyn to be judged.

***

Just as with his older sister, Gabriel Selwyn was administered the standard three drop dose of Veritaserum. As the man’s dark eyes grew glassy and the truth serum took effect, Minister Shacklebolt prepared his questions for the man. Since the war’s end, this was only the third trial for a Death Eater that had been conducted, as the last few weeks were spent trying to catch the remaining Death Eaters. Today’s trial would begin a string of trials; all the Death Eaters that had been captured in the last few weeks would be tried and sent to Azkaban. And, strangely enough, today’s trial continued a rather peculiar commonality, something that Kingsley did not count on; it was the third Death Eater connected to Apollonia Snape. That was weird in and of itself. Lucius Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. Gabriel Selwyn. Somehow, the first Death Eaters tried for their crimes against the good of the Wizarding World all had a connection to Harry’s half-sister.

While the Malfoys’ connection to Apollonia was understandable, it was Selwyn’s connection that never made any sense. How could the man have such a connection to the young Lady? Truthfully, he already knew the answer. But, the Minister was unable to believe it. Kingsley glared at the man. “What is your name?” he asked.

“Gabriel Balthazar Selwyn.”

“When were you born?”

“October 27th, 1949.”

“Are you a Death Eater?”

“Yes,” he said.

“What did you do after Hogwarts?”

“I worked for the Ministry of Magic in the Department of Magical Accidents and Control as an Obliviator,” Selwyn said, a maniacal grin on his face. It was almost as if he was enjoying this.

***

The discovery that Selwyn worked as an Obliviator caused Apollonia to worry. At any point during her capture, the man could have obliviated the knowledge of how her family died. But, he never did. Selwyn wanted her to live with the knowledge that he was the one to tear her family away from her. “Azkaban. Azkaban. Azkaban,” Apollonia chanted under her breath. Since her kidnapping last week, Apollonia’s mind had been swirling with unanswered questions, how Selwyn could be so heartless that he would kill his own family. Apollonia needed to make certain that her cousins’ uncle got thrown in Azkaban.

“What’s with you?” Harry asked.

“He was an Obliviator, Harry? Do you know what that even means?” Apollonia asked. An Obliviator within the ranks of the Death Eaters. There was no telling as to what Selwyn might have done with his obvious talent with Memory Charms. “Harry, so long as Voldemort had an Obliviator within his ranks, the Death Eaters could have gone on raids without anyone becoming aware of it. Hundreds of Muggles could have disappeared without the Ministry even realizing what happened.” She was freaked out by the fact that Selwyn was capable of such thing. And, she was even more disturbed that he would allow her memory of his confession to remain. He was risking his own safety just to torture Apollonia.

“But, that means…”

“There’s more to this than we thought,” Apollonia finished. Before Kingsley could ask any more questions of Selwyn, the young Lady stood from the gallery. She knew what her cousins’ uncle could do. Apollonia glared at Selwyn. “How many? How many Muggles did you kill or torture and then hide the evidence using your status as an Obliviator? And, by the same token, how many witches and wizards went through the same thing and you obliviated them?” She was pissed. Hell, pissed wasn’t even the word to describe it. Livid was more like it really. Selwyn told Apollonia how her family died, simply for the sake of torturing her. For that, Apollonia wanted him in Azkaban, or given the Dementor’s Kiss.

“Ms. Snape,” Kingsley warned.

“I have to know, Minister,” she explained. “He’s done it to everyone he’s ever tortured. Everyone except me.” She glared at Selwyn. “You slipped up, Selwyn. Not obliviating me cost you.”

Kingsley nodded. “Answer the question.”

“Two hundred forty-seven Muggles. Seventy-four witches. Twenty wizards,” Selwyn said with a smirk. It was almost as if he was proud of all that he accomplished over the years, which was not all that surprising considering how twisted the Death Eaters were.

“How many were children?” Apollonia yelled.

“A third of them,” Selwyn said.

Emerald eyes looked upon the Minister. “He’s been abusing his power, sir, for the sake of his Death Eater duties. Probably shirked his duties to the Ministry to serve Voldemort. And, of all the people he tortured, I was the only one to retain knowledge of what happened to me.” She threw a murderous look at the Death Eater. “Tell them what happened on August 15th, 1996.”

“Is that…” Kingsley asked.

“It is, sir,” she nodded.

Three pairs of eyes were intently focused on Gabriel Selwyn as he was forced to recount the day he killed his family. “August 15th, 1996. That was the day of my niece’s wedding. I went there knowing that my niece would never sully herself by marrying a muggleborn wizard. Her younger sister, Delaney, made it very clear that she would not support such a marriage, so she helped me smuggle a few Death Eaters into the wedding. Between us, the entire wedding party was killed; muggle and magical alike.”

Apollonia looked up at the Minister sadly. He knew who they were to her. Only he and Harry knew that Apollonia had a connection to the Prince family. Selwyn knew as well; however, he was unaware of the title she received after he murdered the Prince family. It was his fault really. If he never murdered his own family, Apollonia wouldn’t have gotten the title. Nor would Selwyn be facing the charge of kidnapping a Lady last week.

“What happened the night of July 27th?” Kingsley asked.

Through this tale, Apollonia realized what happened while she was busy protecting the Dursleys. Selwyn chased after Harry and Hagrid up until Voldemort decided to go after Harry himself. And, at some point while this was occurring, her father blasted off George’s ear with the Sectumsempra spell as he was trying to attack another Death Eater. Apollonia elbowed her brother. “Who was there anyway?” she questioned.

“The seven Potters?” he asked. Apollonia nodded; she wondered what happened when Arthur and Kingsley disappeared. Several hours into the journey to the safe house, both wizards disappeared to deal with the seven Potters battle. Afterwards, Arthur returned and Privet Drive was placed under the Fidelius, so that the Dursleys would have a home to return to. “Well, there was me, Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, Fleur, and ‘Dung. As for who accompanied us during the trip – or the Battle over Little Whinging, if you prefer – Hagrid was with me; Dora with Ron; Kingsley with Hermione; Arthur with Fred; Remus with George; Bill with Fleur; and Moody with ‘Dung.” He scoffed, realizing something as he did. “It’s no wonder Moody died; ‘Dung was never all that decent of a wizard. It’s why we had to steal Slytherin’s locket from Umbridge.”

“And you lost Hedwig,” Apollonia remembered.

Harry sighed. “She was my first birthday gift.”

“That you remember,” Apollonia said.

“That I remember,” Harry affirmed.

As Selwyn recounted some of the things he did between August 1st, 1997 and May 2nd, 1998, Apollonia decided something. She doubted that it would do much, but it would at least help.

It took five minutes before Selwyn was finished recounting all that he did during the last year. And, by the time he was finished, Apollonia was ready to strangle him. During the last year, one of the things that Selwyn had done was attack Xenophilius Lovegood as he was trying to help Harry and Hermione. He and Travers came after the man shortly after Luna was kidnapped, using her as leverage so that Mr. Lovegood would comply with the puppet Ministry’s reforms. “I want him dead. He should get the Dementor’s Kiss.”

“He destroyed your livelihood,” Harry knew.

“His own family,” the young Snape reminded him. “If he would kill his own family for the sake of upholding the blood purity that Voldemort preached, there’s no telling as to what he might do if he were to eventually get out of Azkaban. It would be better if he got the Dementor’s Kiss. He’d never be able to do anything more to hurt anyone.”

“I was thinking the Veil,” Harry said quietly. “It would do the same thing that the Dementors would; only that there would no longer be a body. He’d be gone forever.”

“Like Sirius?” she asked.

“Don’t remind me,” Harry muttered.

“Sorry. But, at least you have the portrait,” Apollonia reminded him. “At least you have a chance to know him through the portrait he made. You’re at least able to know him. But, Selwyn killed my cousins; knowing them is impossible.” She tapped the Resurrection Stone gently. “Even with the stone in my possession, I won’t truly know them.”

“You have the…?” Harry started.

“After Rookwood and Selwyn took the snake pendant, it became my opportunity to protect the stone. I was able to fashion a necklace using some of Mum’s jewelry.”

“Mum helped protect the stone?” Harry asked.

“Clever, huh?” she laughed.

“If there was any doubt that you were my sister,” Harry grinned, “there would no longer be any doubt. That sounds like something Mum might do. Dad passed the Invisibility Cloak on to me and Mum is helping you protect the stone using the items she passed on to you.” Harry had a thoughtful expression on his face. “It’s kind of funny, you know; even beyond the veil, my parents are helping us. They’re helping us protect the Hallows.”

“Good thing too,” Apollonia said.

It was during this time that Kingsley and the rest of Wizengamot debated Selwyn’s fate. Already, it had been decided that Selwyn was guilty. Apollonia’s story was proof enough that Selwyn did monstrous things. He told her how her family died to torture her. An obliviator who chose not to obliviate someone, allow them to keep the memories of a torturous encounter; it was far more torturous than not remembering at all.

After a few minutes of deliberation, Kingsley appeared at the podium with a decision. “Gabriel Balthazar Selwyn, you have been found guilty of crimes against not only Muggles and muggleborn witches and wizards, but the last member of an ancient and noble family. For all that you have done over the years; you will spend the rest of your days in Azkaban.”

Selwyn was dragged away from the courtroom and Apollonia silently cheered, as did a few others. They’ve been avenged. Zara and the others can rest in peace. It took two years from the time of their deaths, but Apollonia was able to see to it that her cousins’ murderer did not go unpunished. “Thank you, Harry. Thank you for making sure that Selwyn went away.”

“George was the one who captured him, you know,” Harry said.

“And I still have to thank him as well, for saving me from Selwyn torturing me,” Apollonia said quietly. Thanks to Fred, Apollonia was the only one even remotely capable of helping George through his grief. With that connection to Fred, it appeared as if George wanted to help the one person who was able to help keep him from sinking into depression. That was part of the reason behind Selwyn’s incarceration, because George made sure that he was captured. Now all I have to do is make sure that Rookwood is sent there as well. He helped send my cousins’ murder to Azkaban and I must do the same.

Not wanting to be attacked by reporters, Harry and Apollonia slipped out the side door. Any trial in which the man-who-conquered attended; reporters would mob Harry, hoping for an interview. It was not an option. Not today. Two dark-hearted siblings destroyed the lives of two light-hearted teenaged siblings; the woman tortured the brother and the man tortured the sister. It was not a story that should get out to the public.

“Where should we go?” Apollonia wondered.

“I was thinking Grimmauld,” Harry said.

“You’re thinking of studying the Marauder file, aren’t you?” Apollonia asked with a smirk. Grimmauld Place was where the Marauder file was kept safe; Harry never moved it to the Burrow, so that Ron would never discover what the two siblings were doing. And, as the son of a Marauder, it was his duty to continue that legacy. She shrugged. “Might not get another chance.”

So, upon slipping out of the Ministry, the two siblings apparated out to Grimmauld Place; it had been only a few days since finding the Marauder books, but it seemed as if Harry wanted a jumpstart on continuing the Marauder legacy. Remus, the last of the Marauders, had only been gone a month. Did Harry really want to do this so soon? Harry tore up the stairs and it soon became apparent to Apollonia that her brother had every intention of becoming a Marauder. I don’t know about this, Apollonia thought. It might not be a good idea to start this. Not yet. We might want to wait a few months.
♠ ♠ ♠
Twisted, ain't I?

Comment and subscribe.