‹ Prequel: The Prince
Status: COMPLETE; in process of rewriting

A Little Bit of Love and Laughter

The Letter

Having led a relatively normal, boring life, I was rather startled by the rapping on my window, as would only have been expected at such an early hour in the morning. I turned to look at the window and, upon seeing the barn owl on the sill, dismissed the entire thing as a figment of my imagination, a mere remnant of a bizarre and strangely vivid dream.

However, when volume of the rapping increased, I, against my better judgment, got up in a daze and opened the window. The majestic bird flew into my room and landed on my side table, holding a parchment letter in its beak. The owl dropped the envelope onto the floor and bowed its head. As it flapped its wings to fly back out the window, the picture of my mother and the two men crashed to the ground. The owl flew off into the sunrise, and I went to clean up the glass from the broken picture frame. Though I had obviously known them at some point in time, my memory of the two men in the photograph – my father and brother – had become rather fuzzy. I relied on this picture daily to help me remember.

What I did know of them was from stories told to me by my mother. She had said that my father and brother had worked in a very high-profile office which had out-of-the-blue become the site for a violent shooting spree. My father and Oliver were two of the many victims who perished on that fateful day. I was only three years-old at the time.

I set the picture on my side table and directed my attention toward the mysterious letter. It was, in fact, addressed to me with my house number and street name and everything, but there was no return address to be seen. On the back was a seal with a quarter-cut crest that read ‘Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry’. My fingers trembled with confused anticipation as I tore open the envelope.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Prince,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours Sincerely.

Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress


I pulled out the second piece of parchment and skimmed the list of supplies. A History of Magic, wand, cauldron? The whole thing just seemed too bizarre.

“Mum!” I called, the remnants of the letter still sitting on my lap. “Mum!”

She rushed into my room and asked, as a mother would only be expected to, “What’s wrong?”

As I handed her the letter, her face drained of all color. “No,” she whispered. “Not you, too.”

“Not me, what?” I asked her, but she wasn’t listening anymore.

“Severus,” she murmured as she ran to the kitchen.
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter! :D Let me know what you think.
Comment. Subscribe. Rate. :)