‹ Prequel: The Prince
Status: COMPLETE; in process of rewriting

A Little Bit of Love and Laughter

"This Seems Like Trouble If I've Ever Known It"

The Great Hall was crowded once again, as it always was during the start of the new school year. Decorated in shades of scarlet and yellow and green and blue, the Hall seemed much brighter, and the ceiling reflected the clear, night weather outside. I sat at the Ravenclaw table next to Violet, with whom I had become rather good friends, and watched as Professor McGonagall took out the all-too-familiar Sorting Hat, and I heard the all-too-familiar whispers of the confused first years. Every year had been essentially the same, varying only slightly from year to year, if at all. I liked that. I enjoyed the lasting tradition of the school. As the students were sorted, I made sure to introduce myself as a prefect to all new Ravenclaws.

My eyes caught those of Roger Davies, another Ravenclaw prefect, and he smiled at me. Roger was that guy, the one that every girl fancied. He was quite attractive and a captain on the house Quidditch team. Personally, I'd had my eye on Roger for quite some time now, but I was nothing special.

The feast began before there was an official welcome, which seemed peculiar. I hadn't complained because I, like most other people within my line of vision, was quite hungry. The familiar smells of chicken, potatoes, and pumpkin juice filled the air as food materialized on our plates. A third year on my right dramatically exclaimed, "Finally! I nearly fainted merely from the stomach pains!"

Once everyone was more or less finished eating, Professor Dumbledore stood at the front of the Hall, getting ready to make his annual welcome speech. It was the same as last year and the year before: the Forbidden Forest is off-limits to first years, no magic in the corridors between classes, etc.

Then there was more. "Unfortunately, there will be no Quidditch—" He paused for a moment as the students all groaned. "— this year due to a much larger event that will be taking place at the castle. I am pleased to announce that Hogwarts will be—"

There were more interruptions, of course, one being the entrance of the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, who was introduced as "Professor Alastor Moody".

Dumbledore then continued, "I am pleased to announce that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

'The Triwizard what?', I thought. The other students murmured and whispered to each other in a state of almost shock about the announcement.

Then came Fred's voice, clear as crystal from the opposite side of the room. "You're JOKING!"

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. He was such a clown.

Dumbledore explained the tournament and its rules and regulations. There were three schools – Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang – with one "champion" each. The champions were to compete in various magical tasks. These tasks, he explained, were oftentimes deadly, and it was because of the death toll that the tournament was discontinued.

At the sound of the words death toll, my heart skipped a beat. I prayed that Fred and George wouldn't be brave enough, or perhaps stupid enough was more accurate, to enter in such a barbaric contest. Though, I was nearly sure that they would.

"Due to the dangers of these tasks, the Ministry has sought it fit to impose an age restriction on competitors. This competition will be restricted to only those who are at least seventeen years of age." More groans throughout the Great Hall. "This is a necessary precaution, and I therefore advise you to not even bother with the consideration of entering if you are under the age of seventeen."

I sighed in relief, as these new rules made it so that I didn't have to worry about the competition. I had only just turned sixteen, and the twins would not turn seventeen until April. Still, I made sure to sneak away from the rest of Ravenclaw house to quickly catch up with Fred and George.

"They're not stopping me entering," Fred was telling George, teeth clenched, as I made my way over.

I shook my head and jokingly reminded him, "What was it that I said about not going off looking for trouble?"

"I'm not!" he argued defensively. His brow was furrowed, and there was no denying his frustration.

"This seems like trouble if I've ever known it."

"You haven't." There was that smirk again. He had visibly calmed down.

"Have so. I've gotten detention," I replied matter-of-factly.

"Yeah; once." He rolled his eyes, and George, who had been merely an observer throughout the conversation, began to chuckle.

"Still, it counts!"

"Hardly."

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!" Our faces were mere inches apart, and Fred had a triumphant look on his face, as if he was under the assumption that he was going to win this argument.

"Emily, are you coming?" called Roger Davies, as he led the last of the new Ravenclaws out the door.

"One second," I replied, then hissed at Fred, "Does so!"

He dropped the argument and looked rather bothered. He bit his lip and shifted about uncomfortably. "Don't know what you girls all see in him. Bit of a prat, if you ask me."

"I never did ask you, Fred. But I do appreciate your input."

"We'd better be off," George said, looking concerned as he tried to pull his brother off in the direction of the Gryffindor common room. "Night, Em. See you in Potions, bright and early."

Taking a deep breath and trying not to think about what Fred said of Roger, I walked up the stairs to Ravenclaw tower.
♠ ♠ ♠
:) Hope you guys liked it. This chapter was mainly information for what is to come and to really set the time period and all that jazz. I know it's a little boring. I tried to spice it up a bit at the end. Let me know what you think! :)
Comment/ Subscribe/ Recommend/ Rate
- Chrissie