‹ Prequel: The Prince
Status: COMPLETE; in process of rewriting

A Little Bit of Love and Laughter

"I Beg Your Pardon?"

"Have you picked out a dress for the Yule Ball yet, Emmy?" Violet asked me as she flipped through the newest issue of Witch Weekly, sitting outside near the Quidditch pitch. "I'll assume you're going with Roger?"

I wished I could have had more time to mull everything over in the decision to be with Roger again. I regretted the rashness of it all almost immediately, and my indecision lent me the bad habit of second-guessing myself, even though we had been back together for a full week already with no discernable issues. There was only one thing that could possibly have helped me to make up my mind definitively at this point, but Fred had hardly since said more than a word to me. All my being with Roger was doing was simply chasing Fred away. What was I so afraid of?

Every moment of the day my mind was racing, every minute second-guessing myself again. Was Roger really worth the loss of my closest companion? Was simply having a date to the Ball or being with someone so important?

Violet continued, "Guess that's a 'no.'"

"My mother is sending one up," I replied, distractedly.

"And Roger?" she asked again.

"What of him?"

She sighed in slight frustration. "Is he taking you to the Ball?"

"As far as I'm aware," I said. Roger and I hadn't even spoken a word to each other about the Yule Ball yet, and there seemed to be no indication that it would come up in conversation anytime soon.

Violet was quiet for a moment before she responded, "Emmy, are you sure this is what you want? I mean, you know I'll always support you through anything and in any choices you make, but—"

"I'm fine."

"Don't seem it," muttered a voice to my left.

I looked up. "Are you talking to me again, all of a sudden?"

Fred looked troubled. "I know I call Davies a prat and all and crack jokes and whatnot, but – It's really because I'm frustrated by your own stupidity, and—"

I interrupted, "I beg your pardon?"

"And for a Ravenclaw, especially, you have absolutely no concept of what's best for you," he continued.

"What are you trying to say?" I demanded.

"That you're too bloody smart to be making the same mistake twice!"

There was an absolute silence that followed as Fred's words finally hit me. He ran a hand through his red hair, almost looking for a way to ease the resulting tension.

After a deep breath, Violet spoke up. "Emmy, I think we ought to go."

She gently pulled me away from Fred and to the large double-door entrance to the castle. On the way we passed Roger, who hissed, "Em, I really need to talk to you."

Violet let go of my hand, and I cautiously walked over to where he was.

"Listen, I... I, uh, don't really think I want to do this anymore," he explained, stuttering nervously. "You see, Fleur asked me to the Yule Ball this morning, and I'd rather go with her."

"Oh." Oh? I thought. Why aren't you standing up for yourself, Emily? What are you doing? Tell him off! Don't let him walk all over you!

Though all I wanted was to be able to call him a git or to even say, well, anything, I seemed almost paralyzed. Breathless, speechless, there was little I could do.

"I'm sorry, but... yeah." And he walked away without another word. I glanced over to where Fred had previously stood, but he was gone, too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, sorry it took so long to get this chapter up. I've gotten distracted and then was hit with a major case of writer's block. But, seriously though, the story will be moving along after this chapter.
Poor Emily... She got a decent amount of hate (or truth?) in this chapter. Have we seen the last of Roger? Lemme know what you think or even what you hope to see in upcoming chapters.
- Subscribe & comment :)

xoxo,
Chrissie