‹ Prequel: The Prince
Status: COMPLETE; in process of rewriting

A Little Bit of Love and Laughter

Muggle

I sat on my bed in the girl’s dormitory, unpacking and repacking my trunk, when a voice broke my concentration. “Hi, I’m Violet.”

Looking up, I replied with a smile, “Emily.”

“That’s a nice name,” she said and reached into her pocket. She pulled something out and offered it to me. “Chocolate frog?”

“No, thanks.”

Violet unwrapped the chocolate frog and stuck it in her mouth. “So, what are you?”

“What am I?” I asked in confusion.

“Yeah, what are you?” She paused. “I, for one, am pureblood. Both of my parents came here when they were younger; both Ravenclaw, of course.”

It seemed as though everyone managed to follow in their families’ footsteps, except for me.

“My dad was a wizard,” I said. “But my mum wasn’t.”

She nodded. “Muggle, eh?”

“Beg pardon?”

“Muggle,” she said again. “That’s what we call non-magic folk.”

“Oh.” There was so much new information to take in, new names, new faces, new scenery. I felt extraordinarily out of my element here, like I was an outsider in a world that everyone knew more about than did I.

She took out a book from her trunk, “Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles”, and as she continued reading, mouthed, “What?”

My eyes wandered the room, and I noticed that the decorum was largely based off of the house colours: blue and bronze. Most of the other girls had their curtains drawn and were asleep, well aware that it was beneficial to be fully rested for classes tomorrow morning. I sifted through the various textbooks in my trunk. A Beginner’s Guide to Transfiguration; Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them; Hogwarts, a History; Magical Drafts and Potions; The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection; The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1. In the morning, my first class was Potions, and there was no doubt that this year was already off to a rather interesting start.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was short, I know. But it's the third in one day and is mainly just a filler, so no big deal.
- Comment
- Subscribe
- Recommend
- Rate