Status: Pretty Active

Oh Amelia

Some Nights I Call It a Draw

"Amelia, please just go. I promise you'll like him!" My friend Maggie pleaded.

"Maggie, I really don't want to do another blind double date with you and Luke. There's a reason all of these guys are single." I told her as I flipped through channels on our couch.

"I'm literally begging you to go. He's in a band, he's an artist, he's really cute..." She rambled.

"And probably really full of himself?" I shot back.

"No! He's so down to earth! Luke knows him from the soccer team at the rec center." She told me.

"Oh, really?" I asked curiously.

"Yeah," She replied, "He loves soccer just like you!"

"Well I guess I'll go but if I'm having a bad time I'm going to make an excuse to leave." I warned.

"No need. You'll love him."

After deciding to wear a nice high waisted skirt with a blouse and leather jacket, Maggie and I met our dates at the bar. I spotted my guy sitting next to Luke when we walked in and my heart started to pound in my chest. We approached the table and both men stood up.

"Hey Amelia, this is Andrew. Andrew, Amelia." Luke introduced.

He was wearing a t-shirt and skinny khakis. I noticed his sleeve of tattoos and got a little worried, stereotyping him. Then I looked up into his kind eyes and broke into a grin.

"Hi, I'm Amelia." I smiled as I stuck out my hand.

"Andrew." He smiled as he shook my hand. "I'm a big fan of your writing, Amelia Jones."

"Y-you know who I am?" I questioned, caught off guard.

"Of course! ESPN FC is my home screen! Your article on Lionel Messi was brilliant." He beamed.

I grinned and we took a seat. That night we sat in that bar until closing time talking. We were so immersed in our own conversation we hadn't even noticed that Maggie and Luke were long gone. After we were kicked out we walked around LA for hours and then ended up having breakfast. It was hands down the best first date of my life. He even walked me all the way back to my door.

"Larry David Bowie? That's actually a pretty good one." He chuckled as he stroked his chin.

"Thanks!" I laughed as we approached my apartment. "This is me."

"I had an amazing time tonight, Amelia." He smiled as he put a hand on my arm.

"So did I." I nodded, leaning in a bit closer.

We both stared at each other for a minute before leaning in. We pressed our lips together and immediately both smiled into the kiss. It felt so natural and perfect. I pulled away and giggled.

"What?" He asked.

"Nothing. I'm just really happy."


Since Andrew's death I had been applying to new jobs. I loved writing about soccer but I knew that in order to heal better I would have to distance myself from it. I had finally been offered a job in community relations with the Arizona Diamondbacks in Phoenix. Being the independent woman I am, I packed a u-haul full of my stuff with help from my LA friends and had driven it all the way to Arizona by myself. The drive wasn't bad, but it was a little lonely. As I pulled up to my new condo I saw a group outside waiting for me. I smiled as I parked the truck.

"Amelia!" I heard from all directions as I hopped out.

I smiled and opened my arms for all the hugs bound to come my way. Once I had greeted everyone including Tim, Jared, Garrett, John, Eric, and Pat we decided to start unpacking everything. I let them begin to unload while I took a look around my new place. I opened the door to see a nice hardwood floor just like the picture. The whole place was brand new and I was in awe. My kitchen was a nice size with stainless steel appliances. My bedroom wasn't huge but it was big enough for me. The back porch was my favorite part. It had a perfect view of the Arizona sunset which couldn't be beat.

"Nice place." I heard as the door slid open.

"Yeah, it's great." I smiled.

"I live like 4 blocks away if you ever need anything." He mentioned as he placed his hands on the railing and looked at the sunset with me.

"Thanks, John. I'll keep that in mind." I nodded.

We were silent for awhile before he spoke up again.

"You know it's kind of a rite of passage to have a party at your new place."

"Oh, is that so?" I chuckled, looking at him.

"I mean, it's been what, six months since we've seen you? I think we could all use some catching up." He smiled sincerely.

"You know what? That actually sounds like fun. Let's run to the liquor store while they finish unpacking." I suggested. I couldn't bring my car and the u-haul so Maggie and Luke were going to bring it up next week when they came to visit.

"I'll get my keys."

The drive to the store was quiet with a little music in the background. I had never seen John's truck before but I wanted to know why he chose to drive the classic around. Once we pulled in I went inside and grabbed a few cases of beer. I didn't know if it would be enough but it was all I could carry. After that we decided to stop and get a few pizzas.

When we finally arrived back at my place John helped me carry everything in. I put the beer in the empty fridge and he placed the pizza on the counter. After giving John some sass about leaving them to do all of the hard work, the guys helped themselves to the pizza and beer.

"This is a sick place, Amy." Eric said, using his nickname for me.

"Thanks, it's actually not a bad price for being so close to Phoenix." I told him.

"Well on behalf of all of us I'd like to say that if you ever need anything you have our numbers." Jared announced.

Even though it had been almost half a year since my husband's death I still felt like the guys were babying me. Sure, I'm still very upset and I have my share of bad days but I'm not some time bomb who's going to crack at any minute. Even when talking about him I could more than keep my composure. I couldn't blame them for being overly sensitive about the subject though. When they had left my place in LA after the funeral I barely left my bed to say goodbye.

"Thanks guys, but I'll be fine." I smiled as I took a swig of Land Shark.

"Seriously Amelia, if you need anything-" Tim started.

"I'm fine!" I snapped.

Everyone went quiet for a few minutes.

"I-I'm so sorry. I'm just really stressed out with the move and-" I felt tears coming into my eyes but I took a deep breath and blinked them away.

"Hey, it's alright." John stated quietly as he placed a hand on my back.

I looked up at him with a thankful smile. I took another deep breath and felt much better.

"So, tell me about this new band you guys started?" I questioned.

That night we sat around talking, laughing, and drinking just like old times. It was nearing two in the morning and with everybody sober enough to drive I was saying goodbye to them one by one until it was just John and I.

"Well looks like I should head out too." He said as he slipped off the counter and started toward the door.

"It was really nice seeing you again, John." I told him sincerely.

"You too, Amelia." He replied as he opened the door.

I gave him a quick hug like I had with everyone else.

"Hey John?"

"Yeah?"

"I had fun. Thanks."

He walked out and I turned around only to have the boxes marked Andrew staring me in the face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like I said, I know this isn't quite up to par with what I used to write but I'm working on it.

Please comment, subscribe, and all that good stuff.

Thanks to lovelyhope for her sweet comment! Glad to be back!

Like I said, tell me what you'd like to happen in this story. These first few chapter are just kind of developing backstories, relationships, and characters so the real plot development won't be for a little while.

Thanks for reading!!