Status: Pretty Active

Oh Amelia

I Run From The Feeling and Reach For The Drug

I sighed as I got in my car and blasted the AC. Working in sports was fun and rewarding but whoever decided to put a baseball field in Phoenix must have been fucking insane. I wiped the sweat off my forehead as I started on my way home. I'd been in Arizona for a little over two months and I was starting to warm up to it, no pun intended. The season was about halfway over which meant things were winding down a bit. I turned on my Jack's Mannequin pandora station and set the cruise control as I drove home.

My music went silent and my phone started to vibrate. I hit the answer button and spoke.

"Hello?"

"Hey Amelia, it's John."

"Hey John."

"Hey, um, so I was just bored and hungry. I wanted to know if you were down to go to wing night?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm starving. I was on my way home now but I'll just meet you at the restaurant."

"Yeah, that's awesome. I'll see you soon."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and the song picked up where it left off. John and I had been hanging out occasionally. We'd go for drinks or dinner every now and then, sometimes alone and sometimes with a few others. We were nowhere near dating though. We'd usually meet at the destination and go our separate ways afterward. I think I've only been to his apartment twice and once was to walk his dog Ruby. Andrew would have loved her.

The relationship I had with John was actually like that of a brother and sister. But not in the way other girls say when they cuddle with the man in a way they clearly would not do with a brother. We were very platonic.

Don't get me wrong, he's a nice and attractive guy but he's not Andrew and he never will be.

As I pulled into the restaurant I started to feel tired and out of it. I argued with myself whether I should or shouldn't. Would he know? Probably not.

I made my decision and reached into my purse and pulled out the small baggie. I picked out one of the pills and swallowed it, taking a sip of water to wash it down.

I walked inside and asked for a table to two. As I took my seat I spotted John pulling into the parking lot. I read the menu as I felt relaxation wash over my whole body. I leaned into the booth to get comfortable and rested my head on the wall.

"Hey." I heard as John approached and took his seat across from me.

"Hey." I replied with a small smile.

"You look tired." He chuckled as he picked up his menu.

"Yeah, just a little." I replied with a small smile.

We made small talk as we waited for our wings to arrive. He ran a hand through his long hair as he looked at me.

"I hate to bring this up but you seem a lot better today than usual." He commented.

I felt my stomach turn with guilt.

"Yeah, I'm starting to feel more normal." I nodded, hoping he would believe it.

"That's really great, Amelia." He said genuinely. "So, a few of the guys are coming over to hang out Saturday night if you wanna join."

"I have a home game Sunday night so I can't be up terribly late but I'll come." I agreed.

"Cool, I'll text you when we get everything." He told me.

Just then our food arrived and I started to slowly pick apart the wings. They tasted like the best things I'd ever eaten. I don't know if they really were that good or if it was the drugs but I savored every bite.

"Alright, well I'll see you on Saturday, then?" He asked as we left the restaurant.

"Yeah, for sure." I smiled as I reached out to hug him. He rubbed my back as he wrapped his arms around me. "I'm really proud of you." He said softly.

I frowned, but he couldn't see. We pulled away from the embrace and walked to our cars. He gave me one final wave as he pulled out and I pretended to be on my phone. As soon as he was out of sight I broke down and started sobbing on my steering wheel. While I was crying I heard my phone buzz with a new text.

I got some more if you want it

Yeah how much?
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a super short yet important chapter. Although Amelia seems like she's moving on okay, she's not. I feel like I really know where I want to take this story now so I'm excited to write the rest of it. Please, please, please let me know what you think?

Thanks to lovelyhope again for the comment!