What If I Never Hold You?

The Ghost

I woke up and got ready. Same as I did every morning. Bounty hunter wasn't my dream job, but like many other people I had reason's of doing it. I chased down drunk drivers that had gotten away. I don't know why, it wouldn't bring her back. But it would save other people the pain of losing a loved one, maybe. Since I'd started in 2003 it had went up as far as how many drunk drivers there were. I hated them with a passion.

It had been 3 years since that night. So many days had been filled with pain as she was still all around. 3 years ago exactly my best friend was killed by a drunk driver. Everyone who met Val became a friend. She had left behind her husband Matt, and their son and daughter. She had twins about 6 months before the accident. Abby and Hayden. They were sweet kids. Then there was her parents, older brother, and her twin sister. Needless to say I haven't saw Matt since she died. We reminded each other of her and that just hurt way too much.

So i guess that night changed everything. As far as I know Matt is still in his band Avenged Sevenfold, and is a single parent. Val had done every thing she could to help Avenged get somewhere and anything she could do to help she did. Matt knew after what she did for his band to make some thing out of themselves he couldn't quit. The phone must have rang while I was in the shower. I had a new message. I hit play.
"Sweetie it's mom, I just called to say hi have a good day and ask how are you holding up?" The message said.

I ate breakfast while I talked to my mom, then finished getting ready.
"So what if I never hold you?" I heard a voice that was well known to me sing. I looked at my t.v. Avenged Sevenfold'ss Seize The Day was playing. The song was about Val, he didn't need to tell me that. He loved her with all his heart. I watched the rest of the video and then turned the t.v. off.

I sighed deeply as more memories filled my head.

"Kassi?" I heard a female voice said. I looked around.

"I'm going crazy." I said to myself.

"Kassi? Over here. In the kitchen." It said again. My mind was playing tricks on me, and yet I
still went into the kitchen.

"Oh my gosh." I said stumbling backwards.

"Kassi, it's okay. I won't hurt you."

"Are you a g-ghost?"

"Yes. You can see me. You and only you. Matt can't." Val said

"Val." I said trying to hug the ghost. That didn't work.

"I've been trying to cross over, but I can't. I can't leave knowing things aren't right down here."
She said.

"So why come to me?" I asked

"Because Matt wouldn't listen to me even if he could see me. He doesn't believe that ghosts are real, so he'd never see me." She said.

"I don't believe in ghosts either." I reminded her.

"You believe things when you have reason to. I called your name, and you knew it was me." She reminded me.

"What's not right down here?" I asked.

"Kassi, Matt and I were together for a very long time, and we loved each other very much. But I'm gone now and well Matt's alone. He's raising our children alone. Don't get me wrong I know he can do it, but he doesn't deserve to be alone for the rest of his life." She told me.

"But Val what am I supposed to do? We haven't even talked since your funeral." I told her.

"I know. I need you to somehow get close to him, and tell him I'm here. If you can make him believe then I can show myself to him. And tell him myself. Kassi please." She pleaded.

"How am I supposed to get close to him?" I asked.

"Like this." She said handing me a paper.

"Sound tech?" I asked.

"Call it." She urged. I dialed the number and since I had worked as a sound tech before I
was hired again. That night with Val helping me back I prepared for something that people would call me crazy for.

"Thanks again Kass" Val thanked me.

"Val you were my best friend, still are. I'd do anything for you." I said with a smile.