Lessons In New Jersey

If you say Goodbye Today I'd ask You to Be True...

Image

I decided to walk home that day. I had told Kelsie that I had a lot of homework and that I would call her later. As I continued walking I heard a car pull up.

"Madeline. I thought you were gonna go to Kelsie's after school." I turned to see who it was. It was my mom.

"No not today. What are you doing going home so early?" I questioned her.

"Oh just thought I'd get ahead on dinner. And I was done with my work anyways. Hop in." She replied.

"Um. No I'm just gonna keep walking. But you can take my bag." I replied and handed her my bag.

"Okay. Don't be late." she replied.

"I'll try not to." I said with a laugh.

"Oh and I probably should give you this now." she reached in her purse and pulled out a cell phone.

"Since your always out with Kelsie I thought you could use one." she replied.

"Thanks." I gave her a kiss on the cheek and she drove off. I looked at it realizing it was a sidekick mobile. "cool." I said to myself and put it in my pocket. I decided to run the rest of the way. I was on my way to Gerard's house when I stopped and heard music. A common thing among most. I ran up to the Garage and saw all of the boys. Gerard, Mikey, Ray, Bob, and Frank.

"MADDIE!" I heard Gerard yell as he dropped his mic and ran up to me. I laughed as he picked me up and swung me around.

"Well Hi to you too." I replied with a laugh. Frank just looked at me and sat down on the speaker.

"Someone brought some color into your life there huh?" he questioned me while putting me down and examining my wardrobe.

"You should of seen her in the dress she wore when we were at the mall." Mikey replied. I laughed at his comment.

"Yea its amazing how someone can sell out so quickly." Frank then replied. I just looked at him and back at Gerard.

"Cool it Frank." I heard Ray say.

"It's not what the person wears its how they are on the inside." Ray finished and put his arm around me.

"What if the person on the inside is a total snob and a sell out how about that ray. She doesn't even talk to me in school anymore. Is that what a person does. If they were supposed to be your friend." Frank shot back. The guys just looked at me.

"I talked to you today Frank. And why does it have to be me to talk to you. Why can't you talk to me. Despite the people I hang out with." I replied.

"Even the fact of the people at school. You never come around anymore. What happened to the girl we knew. Who played the guitar who can almost play as good as me. She's dead thats what happened. Your just a shell. Nothing more. You can try to convince me that it's not true. But I know and I don't care. You found some people who are better. And what is this. Why did you decide you wanted to come today and see us." He replied.

"Because I wanted to see you!" I yelled at him. "I see you everyday Frank. At school. I miss you. I miss you guys. I seriously try to come over more. But with every look you give me Frank. Your the one who makes me feel like I'm not wanted around you guys." I could feel my eyes starting to get wet. My phone then started to ring. For a moment I forgot I even hand a phone. I looked at the number and instantly remembered whose it was. I wiped my eyes and answered it. "Hello?"

"Hey. congrats on the new phone I called your house and your mom gave me this number." It was kelsie.

"Kelsie I can't really talk right now." I replied.

"Just leave! Go with your new friends and stay out of our lives!" Frank yelled.

"Fuck You!" I yelled back and walked away still on the phone.

"What's happening?" Kelsie questioned me.

"Nothing...Will you just...Pick me up at the park please?" I questioned her.

"Yea sure. I'll be there in a few." I then hung up and walked to the park.

I reached the park and sat on one of the swings. I could feel the tears streaming down my face. I swung open the screen and started messing around with the phone. I found where I could write notes. I had exactly what I wanted to write and started typing away on the key pad.

"So I met a guy
He's from New Jersey
Took me out to get some food
What you do I asked I play the guitar
Well baby I play the guitar too

Do you have plans for Saturday
Do you think that you could watch me play
I don't know it depends on what's goin' on backstage

So we talked some more of scales and chords
And when I first attempted to
And he told me that's not the way to go
I said baby I don't get you

Don't you ever play what you feel inside
No baby I ain't got the time to figure out
what makes you smile or makes you tend to lie

So he started playing a melody
And wanted me to start soloing
I don't know quite what to do
He said pick it up and I'll help you through

Don't you ever play what you feel inside
No baby I ain't got the time to figure out
what makes you smile or makes you tend to lie

It's too late now
I'll show you how
Put that guitar down
Put that guitar down

Dadalaladada
Dadalaladadada [x4]

Time oh time it slips so fine
It kills me about every time
I decide that time has come
Figure I'll go get me some
That's not what your supposed to do
Don't dare go back the failures too
Maybe I'm a failure too so lets get on with it

Don't you ever play what you feel inside
No baby I ain't got the time to figure out
what makes you smile or makes you tend to lie
It's too late now
And I'll show you how
Put that guitar down
Put that guitar down

So I met a guy
He's from New Jersey
Learned a little more than I thought I would.
Love Me
Love Me
Love Me
Love Me"