‹ Prequel: Up The Old Oak
Status: A slow work in progress.

Beneath the Weeping Willow

Prologue

Hoisting her skirts up Penny ran as fast as she could through the long grass towards the edge of the river. The grass shortened as she ran along the banks ignoring the reeds that slashed at her as she passed, pushing the fronds of willow out of her way. She saw the man in the red coat leaning against the trunk of a willow from a distance and called out his man. He straightened and turned to face her, smiling broadly, holding his arms out to her. She ran into them willing letting him hold her close. Sighing she relaxed against the solid comfort of his chest and turned her face up for a kiss. He smiled down at her and then complied with her silent demand settling his lips on hers. Penny just let herself drown in the overwhelming mixture of emotions Richard made her feel, willing let him draw her down onto the soft grass. She loved being with him. She loved being kissed by him, touched by him. She loved him.

Afterwards she lay in his arms, her skirts wrinkled and slightly grass stained now but a soft smile played on her swollen lips and her eyes drooped in sleepy contentment. He stroked her hair for a moment and then rolled away from her. Penny fell out of his arms and unceremoniously back onto some uncomfortable roots. A brief scowl marred her delicate features for a moment but it didn’t last she was too relaxed to care. She let her eyes close and just listened to the sounds of Richard straightening her clothes and standing.

“Penny. Penny, open your eyes and look at me.” He ordered her; she did as he asked reluctantly. “This is important, I’m leaving in a week I’ve been ordered to return to the regiment.”

She sat up quickly, looking as upset as she felt. “No! You have only been back for a day.”

“And he will be going in a day too.” Came a deep voice from behind the couple. Penny looked round sharply, paling. Richard froze his hand going to his gun. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you, step away from my sister and keep going.” Jonnie ordered stepping out of the shadows of the tree he was stood under, a pistol ready in his hand. Richard scowled back at Jon but slowly turned and walked away. Penny leapt to her feet and ran after him.

“Where are you going?” she called.

“Away like I’m told.” He said shortly.

“No!” she cried hot tears rolling down her cheeks. Jon came up behind her silently and wrapped restraining arms around her so she couldn’t keep running. Penny pummelled at Jon’s arms trying to get away but he refused to let her go. Dragging her back against him, he swept her up into his arms cradling her against him ignoring her flailing arms and legs. Turning his back on the lying bastard who had violated his sister Jon strode away back to their home. Sobbing Penny squeezed her eyes shut and turned her face away from Jon, refusing to give him the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

~

Everyone stared at Penny, seated in the window seat, pale and thin lit by soft morning light as she gazed out the window, with concern and distress. Jon cleared his throat reluctant to begin the following conversation.

“Penny, mother and I have discussed your situation and we will not allow you to marry that man.”

She turned to face them, an anguished expression on her face and tears in her eyes. “Why not? He has offered for me, he has a good income from his service in the army and we would be happy together! You can not tell me what to do I love him and I am of an age to marry who I want.”

“No you can not, you will marry no-one unless I say so!” Jon bellowed. “This is the last we will talk of this and you are forbidden to see him ever again! And can every one stop crying you are driving me insane.”

Danielle Butler let out a muffled sob, but nodded in agreement. She couldn’t believe this had happened to her little girl. Penelope got stiffly to her feet, tamped down on the urge to scream, turned her back on her family and walked away. Tabby leapt to her feet and went to run after her but Alex held her back.

“Leave her to go and paint Tibs, she needs to come to terms with Jon’s decision.”

“But it’s not fair!” Tabitha objected, scowling at her oldest sibling.

“Life isn’t fair.” Bianca said softly, “I’m going to the kitchen; any requests?”

“No thank you sweetie.” Their mother said, her voice quavering as she wiped away her tears. She stayed sat there watching her family leave wishing life could be happier for them, wishing it could be as happy and simple as hers had been with their father.
♠ ♠ ♠
This an idea for the story of Bianca's and Alex's older sister Penny. I'm not sure how much I like it, it's more depressing than my normal stories but I'm sure I'll be able to add some humour in there :S Well tell me what you think :D jules xxx