Status: Finished

This Is My Love

Let Me Treasure You

I woke up to a hand and what felt like little kisses on my belly. I sighed contentedly and cracked an eye open to find Pete with his ear to my belly and a smile on his face. It was four months after the incident and Pete's arm had healed well, though he still had to use a sling for now and it still hurt from time to time, his stitches were out and the wound had almost completely healed. I was still having some problems with flashbacks, and I would never get used to seeing Pete in a deep sleep again, but the mental wounds were slowly closing to form into scars. We had appeared as witnesses at Vicky's trial, and our testimony plus the paparazzi's testimony, not to mention the countless pieces of evidence against her, put her away for two counts of attempted first degree murder. She was going away for life, and that was not as comforting to me as it should have been. Though I still hated her, I felt kind of bad, since I knew it was something in her brain that was messed up and made her go crazy and not actually her. That was a completely different Vicky I saw that day. Yet, she decided not to plead insanity. She felt too guilty about almost killing Pete, though it would have been a different story if she had actually gotten me instead.
That night was the Grammys, and the first time we would make an appearance at a public event since the incident. Pete was up for four nominations in categories such as best male artist, best song of the year and best vocals, just to name a few. I was up for three nominations, one for best vocals, where I was competing against Pete himself, for my song Hindsight Zero, and one for Rookie of the Year, as well as best cover for my rendition of Elton John's "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?". It was all so new to me and completely mind blowing, and even though Pete had been nominated for six Grammys back in '09, which he won four of, he still seemed surprised to even be nominated again. They were also honoring Pete with an award for bravery, everyone now knowing that he had absolutely saved not only my life, but, unknowingly, the life of our unborn baby. I loved that he would be getting the honor he deserved, but Pete wasn't so sure about it for a while. He said that what he did was what anyone should have done, he was only protecting me, and that it was an act of love, not honor. But I talked him into it, asking him to do it for me, because I believed there was honor in willingness to take a bullet for someone you love, and that I wanted him to be rewarded for it. Pete rolled his eyes at first, imploring that the safety of me and our baby was reward enough, but when I gave him a scolding look, he finally dropped his shoulders and sighed in defeat.
Pete lifted his ear from my belly and placed another kiss right above my belly button, using his fingers to stroke my little baby bump.
"I'd better enjoy getting sleep while I can, huh, little baby? Because you're going to keep me up all night once you're here, aren't you?" He whispered to my belly. I giggled, bringing Pete's attention to the fact that I was awake. He looked up to me and smiled.
"I can't believe there's a little baby in there. Our little baby," he stated as he glanced back down to my belly for a moment. I smiled and nodded my head in agreement.
"I can't, either. But they're in there..." I trailed off as I stared down at my hill of a belly. Pete splayed his fingers out over my bump, his hand big enough to cover the whole thing it was still so small, and laughed.
"It's the cutest little baby bump I've ever seen," he whispered before looking back up to me. "And you're the most beautiful pregnant woman I've ever seen."
I rolled my eyes but couldn't hide my smile. He was so sweet, it was too much sometimes.
"Oh, stop," I whispered playfully before sitting up against the backboard of the bed. Pete smirked before inching himself closer to me. He placed a kiss on my lips and smiled.
"I can't wait to show you off tonight," he spoke softly before kissing my lips again. I smiled into the kiss and shook my head.
"Oh, stop," I repeated myself.

After picking up my dress and Pete's tuxedo from the dry cleaners and getting my make up and hair done in a pulled back pompadour to slightly match Pete like we did for every event, Pete and I started getting ready for the red carpet. As I sat at my mirror in my black slip, putting the little diamond ear rings Pete had surprised me with when we found out about my nominations, my phone went off. I grabbed it and glanced down at the screen before a large smile made its way onto my face. My Dad was requesting to chat through FaceTime, something he had been doing a lot ever since Pete taught him how to use it before they left for Hawaii four months ago. I loved that we could chat face to face whenever we wanted, and, apparently, so did my Dad, since he used it all the time. I quickly accepted the request and smiled brightly as my Dad's face came onto my screen.
"Hey, pops!" I greeted him. My Dad smiled and waved.
"Hey, Honeydew," he replied. "Woah, don't you look pretty."
I smiled shyly and waved him off.
"So, what's up?" I asked him. He shrugged, as if it was nothing at all.
"Just have some people here who wanted to see you guys," he stated before, to my delight, Pete's parents popped up beside my Dad. We all laughed.
"Hi, guys!" I exclaimed. They both waved.
"Oh, honey, don't you look gorgeous!" Pete's mom complimented me, and Pete's Dad nodded his head in agreement. I giggled.
"Thanks, Mom," I replied. "Let me get Pete quick so we can both talk to you."
I stood up from my seat in front of my mirror and walked over to the bathroom door before knocking on it gently. Pete opened it, standing there in his tuxedo and with his hair perfectly coiffed. He held his fedora in his hand and smiled at me. I whistled appreciatively as I looked him up and down and nodded my head in approval.
"Lookin' good, hubby," I said through a smile before holding my phone up, screen facing him. Everyone shouted a hello and praised him on looking handsome, causing Pete to smile broadly. I moved to stand beside him so we were both in the camera's lens.
"So," Pete's mom started, "lets see it!"
I rolled my eyes playfully and giggled as Pete took the phone from my hand, both of us knowing what she was talking about, and taking a few steps in front of me. He pointed the lens at me and I turned to my side before holding my slip down over my belly to show my little baby bump to them. Pete's mom practically squealed and they all clapped excitedly. I giggled.
"She's the most beautiful pregnant woman you've ever seen, right? Besides you, mom, of course," Pete chuckled. Everyone agreed, making me blush and wave them off. Pete and I then stood side by side again and smiled down at the screen.
"Well, we just wanted to say congratulations!" Pete's Mom exclaimed.
"And good luck," Pete's Dad said.
"And that you deserve to win all the way," my Dad stated. Pete and I thanked them immensely, before we all said good bye.
"Love you, grandma and grandpas!" Pete smiled, causing his Mom to coo. She loved the idea of becoming a grandma again. They all couldn't wait. And I loved the support and love that my new family gave me. It was amazing. But, of course, I wished every day that my Mom was there to enjoy it with us as well.

I stepped into the living room, finally done getting completely ready. Pete's eyes lit up and he looked me up and down before starting to clap.
"Amazing," he applauded, "a work of art!"
I giggled and gave a playful turn with my arms at my sides, making Pete clap more, before sighing contentedly. I loved my man so much, he made me feel so... Perfect. Pete walked towards me and pulled me into his good arm, having to wear his sling over his tuxedo to keep his arm immobile, and placed a soft kiss on my lips.
"I love you, Bruno," I whispered against his lips. He smiled and kissed me again.
"I love you too, baby," he replied. "And I love this dress," he said through a smile as he stepped back before taking my hand in his and lifting my arm to look at my dress again. It was a red, floor length, silk dress with what looked like little roses across the cross over shoulder strap that went from the left side of the dress, over my right shoulder. It was curve hugging, but still loose enough for me not to look like an expensive prostitute. It was classic, and, underneath I wore simple, black heels.
"It accentuates everything, especially the little baby bump." He winked and I giggled.
He honestly couldn't get enough of the bump.

We sat in the back of the limo, slowly inching our way to the entrance of the red carpet behind a bunch of other limos, Pete to my right so that he could get out first and me clutching a glass of ice water as Pete sipped at some champaign. I wished I could drink so badly, for my nerves were getting worse with every passing second and every flash of a camera I saw at the beginning of the line. But I was snapped out of my fixation when Pete gently bumped my knee with his. I flicked my eyes over to his face and he smiled reassuringly.
"You know, getting worked up isn't good for either of you," he stated as he gestured to my little bump. I nodded my head in understanding and took in a deep, steadying breath.
"I know, but you know how I get at these kinds of things," I whispered nervously. Pete smiled softly.
"I know, baby. I know you better than anyone, and I know that you can't stand being the center of attention unless you are performing your music... Then you adore it," he stated through a teasing smile. I smiled softly, lovingly, for he had no idea just how dead on he was even though I'd never said it out loud, which made it that more amazing, and leaned in to place a kiss on his lips. After giving him a gentle kiss I rested my forehead against his just as it was our limo's turn to pull up to the beginning of the red carpet.
"I'm so happy you're in my life,' I whispered to Pete. Pete smiled.
"Good, because you're stuck with me whether you like it or not." He placed a kiss on my nose. "Forever."

Pete turned and opened the door with his good hand before giving me one last reassuring smile and stepping out. Immediately, flashes began to go off and people started shouting his name while some girls simply screamed. I slid over the seats as Pete reached his hand towards me. I took it gratefully, knowing I would need the extra support so as not to fall, and placed my heeled feet on the carpet below. I got out of the car as stepped closer to Pete as the man in a tuxedo closed the door so the limo could pull away. As soon as we linked our hands together and turned to face the crowd with smiles on our faces, people began to applaud. And I don't mean they clapped excitedly, I mean they applauded in appreciation.
"Good job, Bruno!"
"You're a hero!"
"We're her for you, guys!"
"We love you, Mr. and Mrs. Mars!" Were just some of the things people shouted, and the support and love was overwhelming that by the time we began to walk, I was tearing up. We stopped to pose for pictures, large smiles on our faces as the press snapped picture after picture. Then, Pete did something adorable... He took our intwined hands and raised our arms up in a victorious way, a large smile on his face. People cheered and the flashes of the press' camera went off like strobe lights, everyone competing to get that perfect picture. Pete looked over to me and smiled lovingly.
"You're a hero, Pete," I whipping through a returning smile. "You're my hero."

"And the award for best vocals goes to..." My hand tightened around Pete's in a death grip and I gave him a fearful look. I didn't like being up against him. If he won, I'd be happy for him, if I won, I'd be happy, but I would feel bad, because I felt very strongly that Pete deserved it more. Honestly, I felt like anyone else deserved it more, though I didn't know if that was my low self esteem, or the fact that I was also up against Adele, Carly Rea Jepson, Selena Gomez, Justin Timberlake and Beyonce. The presenters of the award, Joseph Gorden-Levitt and Taylor Swift, opened the envelope and smiled before yelling into the microphone;
"Marley Medley-Mars for 'Hindsight Zero'!"
My new stage name was announced, which linked me To Pete's. My song began to play all around us and Pete jumped up from his seat and began to clap his hand against his leg in applause with everyone else as they stood as well. I looked around in surprise at all the smiling faces before looking back up to Pete. He had his hand extended to me and a big, toothy smile on his face. I took his hand and let him pull me up, a stunned expression still on my face. I couldn't believe it... I just won a Grammy against some of the biggest names in music. My first Grammy...
Pete pulled me into him and crashed his lips against mine in a hard, passionate kiss, causing everyone to cheer louder. He ended the kiss and brought me into a big hug instead, holding me tight against him.
"You're worthy of this, baby. Don't think you're not," he whispered, once again reading my thoughts and never failing to be able to soothe my unspoken fears. I let out a little sob and smiled for the first time since my name was announced. Pete pulled back from the hug and smiled. "Now go get that Grammy."
I smiled and nodded my head before wiping a tear from my eye and walking past him, receiving quick hugs from my band mates as I made my way to the end of the row. I focused on not tripping as I walked down the aisle, smiling at all the congratulations. I made my way up the stairs to the stage to be met by Joseph Gorden-Levitt. He handed me the Grammy, and I was surprised how heavy it was. Joseph gave me a secure hug, which also surprised me, and gave a little rub of my back.
"Congratulations, Mrs. Mars. I'm a big fan and you definitely deserve it," he whispered before giving my cheek a light kiss and pulling away from the hug. I thanked him immensely before giving Taylor Swift a hug and thanking her. They settled a few feet behind me while I stepped to the little stand to give my speech. The prompter in front of me read "keep it under a minute", and that wouldn't be a problem. I could hardly think of thirty seconds worth of words right now. I looked down to the Grammy in my hands before looking back out into the crowd of famous faces and fans. I let out a steadying breath and laughed.
"I just beat my husband out for a Grammy!" I exclaimed, and everyone laughed. I spotted Pete, and he was smiling proudly. "What can I say? I wasn't expecting this at all, especially considering the amazing artists I was up against. They're all so incredible. But, I'd like to give some thanks. First of all, to all the fans who have supported me, thank you, I wouldn't be here without you. You're amazing. To my incredibly talented band, I would be lost without you guys, and I can't thank you enough for believing in me enough to take this amazing journey with me. To my father, because I wouldn't know how to play a single instrument without his guidance, I love you, thank you. To my mother, who I hope is smiling down on me right now, I love you, I miss you, and I thank you, because without you I would sound like a dying cat every time I tried to sing." People chuckled and I continued. "And last but someone who has never been least, my wildly talented, simply incredible husband, Mr. Mars..." I looked him in the eyes and smiled, my voice softening at the mere thought of him. "What can I say? You gave me a friendship I would never have found otherwise, you shared and kept my passion for music alive, you showed me how amazing love is... And you literally saved my life..." Tears threatened to fall and the room went silent, straining to hear more. "I don't know what I'd do without you, and I pray to God every day that I'll never have to find out... Thank you. I love you, Bruno." I smiled lovingly at him as he blew me a kiss before wiping my eyes and letting out an exaggerated breath. "Woah, alright, thank you everyone!" I exclaimed through a smile before waving, turning and walking towards Joseph and Taylor, everyone erupting in applause and cheers behind me. Joseph and Taylor smiled softly at me before escorting me behind the stage as the music came back on. I stole one last glance behind me before I disappeared behind the stage to find that everyone was giving a standing ovation, and that broke the dam. The support was overwhelming, even from the people I was competing against. And the look of love and pride in Pete's eyes while I was giving my speech... God, don't punish me for being happy anymore, please.

I went on to win Best New Artist of the Year and Best Cover, and Pete won all his nominations except Song of the Year, where he lost out to Lady Gaga. It was now nearing the end of the ceremony, and Pete and I were waiting back stage. I was waiting to go out and announce as well as present the award for bravery to Pete, and he was waiting to come out and get it.
"Marley?" A man with a pair of headphones with a little microphone attached walked up to us. "You're on in thirty seconds."
I took in a breath and nodded my head. I was so nervous, I'd never presented an award before. Plus, I had to speak a little about the whole thing before I called Pete out to present it.
The announcer announced the award and introduced me as a presenter.
"Please welcome Marley Medley-Mars." Applause broke out and music began to play. I gave Pete a quick kiss.
"I'll see you out there," I whispered before turning and walking to the stage. The lights were bright as I made my way to the little podium and the cameras followed my every step. I made sure to smile when I reached the podium, Pete's award waiting for me there. The prompter had my speech written out for me, in case I forgot. The music died down, as well as the clapping, and I was cued to start speaking. I placed my hands on the podium and leaned towards the microphone and started to speak.
"In Greek Mythology, a hero is defined as a man or woman who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for their bold exploits and are favored by the Gods," I started. "And Bruno Mars, the man we honor tonight, has the courage of men like Alexander The Great, and the strength of Perseus himself. As for being favored by the gods, I can't say, but I can say that someone must be watching over him, for he wouldn't be here to receive this award otherwise." I bowed my head for a moment in sadness at the memories before continuing. "On the morning of October 11th of last year, four months ago almost to the day, Vicky Livings came into our house and held us at gunpoint with the intent of shooting and killing me. I had come into the living room to tell my husband that I had just found out I was pregnant, we were going to have a baby, but I never got the chance, yet still, right before that gun went off, he jumped in front of it, taking a bullet to the Brachial Artery in his arm and saving my life as well as unknowingly saving the life of our unborn baby." Applause and cheering broke out and lasted for a little while before dying down so I could continue to speak. "God surely had to be watching over him, for he could have died in a matter of minutes if the ambulance had not been called prior to the shooting. Then, a blood clot made it to his brain, something that should have given him a stroke, but it didn't, yet it did put him in a coma. The doctor's didn't know when or if he would wake up, but he did. Against all odd, he's alive, he's healthy and it is my honor to give him this award for outstanding bravery. Ladies and gentlemen, my hero, Bruno Mars," I announced, and everyone broke into applause again, standing up to give him a standing ovation. I turned around and smiled as Pete made his way towards me from behind the stage. I held the award towards him, but he bypassed it and kissed me instead. I smiled into the kiss before wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him into me for a hug.
"You deserve this, Pete. You're a hero," I whispered before pulling back and smiling at him, tears forming in my bottom lids. He smiled back and nodded his head before kissing me one last time and taking the offered award. I stepped aside as he stepped towards the podium and began to clap with everyone else. Once the clapping died down, Pete began his speech.
"When I was told I would be receiving this award tonight, my wife had to talk me into accepting it," he looked back to me and smiled. "I felt that I did what anyone would have done, that there are people out there doing heroic things every day that deserved this more, but, Marley felt strongly that I should be honored for it, and so I did it for her," he stated. "And, in a way, my wife is a hero as well, for, I probably would have never woken up from that coma if it wasn't for her. She gave me something to fight for, something to be here for. Her and this baby are everything to me now, and I'd fight god himself to stay with them." People applauded again and Pete smiled back to me as he placed the award down on the podium and extended his hand towards me in a gesture to join him. I rolled my eyes playfully but took his hand and moved to stand next to him. Once the applause died down, Pete spoke again. "So, as honored I am for this, I must be honest and say that the well being of my wife," he pulled me into his side and wrapped his arm around my waist so his hand would land on my stomach, "and the baby is enough for what I did to be eternally worth it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the latest chapter out of the ones I thought I posted but didn't :-/ silly me.
Enjoy!