Status: Finished

This Is My Love

She's Somewhere Out There

This Is My Love

I glanced over at Pete from the driver's seat of my car as we made our way to the airport. Eric was kind enough to book the trip for all of us on the first flight out, since I didn't dare leave Pete's side in our bed. Pete sat in the passenger's seat beside me, his head against the head rest and his face towards the window, gazing blankly at the trees that flew by. I sighed softly through my nose and set my eyes back on the road in front of us. The silence was deafening but I didn't dare break it. I could feel the sorrow radiating off of Pete, and I wanted so badly to erase it, but it would be a hopeless mission.
About five minutes away from the airport, I was pulled from my thoughts by the warmth of Pete's hand on my knee. I almost jumped at the unexpected feeling and tore my eyes off the road to glance down at his hand, then up to his face. His head was still resting against the head rest of the seat, but it was now turned towards me. His eyes were puffy but penetrating, and his bottom lip was softly quivering. He gave my knee a gentle squeeze and sighed.
"I'm so thankful you're here. I couldn't do this without you," he whispered hoarsely. I frowned and looked back to the windshield as I parked the car before turning to face him completely.
"Pete, we'll get through this," I spoke softly but adamantly. Pete closed his eyes for a moment and gave a solemn nod of his head as he gave my knee another gentle squeeze. Tears began to prick at the corners of my eyes as I saw the doubt and pain on my husband's face, but I didn't blame him. It must have felt like the end of the world. When you lose a parent, it feels like you'll never get over it. And you never do, but the pain does fade to a small throb... Eventually.
After a moment of silence, I took in a soft breath and placed my hand over Pete's, causing him to bring his eyes up to me.
"Ready?" I asked softly. He took in a steadying breath and nodded his head.
"Yeah," he whispered. I wiped at the tears that had formed in my lids and opened my door before climbing out as Pete did the same. As we walked to the bustling entrance of LAX, Pete surprised me by grabbing my hand tightly and pulling me to his side, stopping us right in the entrance of the airport and causing the people to have to redirect themselves around us, many grumbling as they did. But Pete didn't seem to care. He brought his arm around my waist and pushed his face into the crook of my neck before inhaling deeply and letting it back out in the form of a sigh.
"I love you," he whispered hoarsely, before squeezing me tightly against him for a moment and then pulling away. I looked over to the pained face of my husband and felt my stomach clench with the need to sob as I saw his pain. A pain that Pete looked to me to soothe, and it killed me that I couldn't.
I sniffled a little and gave Pete a small, sad smile.
"I love you, too, Pete," I whispered back before taking his hand again and leading him through the airport.

As we made our way to the waiting area to wait for our flight to be called, we spotted Eric and his wife and son waiting for us. As we approached, Eric stood and made our way over to us, his face pained and his arms open. As soon as he got to us, he engulfed Pete in a hug, both of them clinging tightly onto each other as tears streamed down their faces.
"I can't believe it," Eric whispered hoarsely. Pete nodded his head and sniffled before pulling back from the hug.
"Have you talked to Dad again? How's he holding up so far?" Pete asked, concern lacing his words. Eric nodded his head.
"Yeah, he's really torn up. He's really having a hard time. But Presley and Tahiti are there with him," Eric responded. Pete nodded his head and wiped at a couple of the tears that had run down his cheeks.
"Good, good," he whispered. Eric turned to me and I gave him a sad smile before walking into his arms as Eric's wife hugged Pete.
"I'm so sorry, Eric," I whispered from over his shoulder before pulling back but resting my hands on his upper arms. Eric gave me a small smile.
"Thanks, Ano," he whispered before looking down to my huge belly and smiling. "You look like you're about to pop," he chuckled. I smiled and nodded my head.
"I feel like it," I responded. I then proceeded to hug Lindia, his wife, and then Liam, who then placed his little hands on my baby bump and pressed a kiss against it. I smiled down to the little boy and placed my hand on his head.
"How are you, Liam?" I asked him. He frowned.
"I'm sad," he whispered. I frowned as well before crouching down to get on his level before running the back of my hand down his pudgy cheek.
"You know you're grandma is in a better place now, right?" I asked him. He gave a small nod of his head.
"I know. She's in heaven now," he whispered before biting his lip and seemingly thinking for a moment before looking directly into my eyes as he spoke. "Do you think she's with your Mommy?" He asked slowly. My eyes widened in surprise at the mention of my mom, not realizing the little boy would remember that I had lost my Mom, since I had only told him at Pete and I's wedding, when he asked where my Mom was. I didn't think he would really think about it after that. The fact that he did meant he cared, and a small sob escaped my throat and the realization. I studied the boy's face for a moment before softening my features and giving a small nod of my head.
"Yeah... Yeah, I think she is," I whispered hoarsely. Liam nodded his head and gave a small smile.
"Good. They have each other," he whispered. I bit my lip to keep it from quivering at the simple yet comforting logic of the young boy before stroking my finger tips through his hair and smiling.
"You're absolutely right," I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short and it took so long to update.
I've been busy and it's been hard for me to write lately, especially this story. On October 22nd, at 54 years old, my mom died suddenly and unexpectedly, but peacefully, in her sleep. She was the best person I knew, and we were so close. She loved reading my writing, and loved this story. I used to run to her after every time I wrote a chapter. So, it's hard when I want to run to her still but remember she's not here anymore. Plus, now writing about the death of Bruno's mom... It's hard. Really hard. But, I know she's in a better place now. I just miss her.
Hope this chapter holds you guys over until I can update again.
Comments are very much appreciated.

Post Script.
I know women shouldn't fly if they're eight months pregnant or more, but I didn't feel like worrying about that. But I Just wanted to let you guys know that I knew.