Status: Finished

This Is My Love

This Is My Love

I was suddenly awoken by an incessant jumping on Pete and I's bed, the same way Pete and I had been woken up for the past year and a half or so now, and I didn't have to guess who the culprit was. I groaned groggily and threw my arm over my eyes.

"Mommy! Poppa! Come on! It's time to wake up!" The delicate yet determined voice sounded from above me. I smiled from beneath my arm at hearing the urgency in the little girl's voice.

"Santa came! Santa came! Wake up! I've got presents to open!" The little girl exclaimed. I could hear Pete chuckle from his side of the bed. I peeked an eye out from under my arm and smiled as I looked at Pete and I's little girl, who, at a little over four years old, wasn't so little anymore. What once was dark peach fuzz on her little head was now long strands of dark, wavy hair that was currently in a messy ponytail, with dark strands falling all about her face. And, she looked more like Pete every day, with her big, brown eyes and a smile that could melt the world. Not to mention her adventurous ways and devil may care attitude. She was definitely her father's daughter.
I peeked over to the clock with heavy eyelids and rolled my eyes in amusement.

"My dearest one, it's only four in the morning. Can't you just wait a few more hours?" I asked groggily. I could almost hear her frown.

"Oh, come on mommy," Pete whispered from beside me. "Isn't missing a few extra hours of sleep worth making our little girl happy?" He asked before winking at Detty, causing her to jump with joy.

"Yeah, mommy. Please?" She asked, the last word drawn out for added effect. I let out a joking sigh of exasperation and uncovered my eyes to look right into the face of our beautiful, rambunctious girl.

"I guess so," I grumbled playfully. Detty squealed before jumping off of the bed and running out of the room, obviously heading for the living room where the Christmas tree with all the presents underneath stood.
Pete turned onto his side and smiled down to me, causing me to smile back.

"You're a complete pushover, you know that?" I asked jokingly before pulling Pete's face to mine for a passionate kiss.
"Merry Christmas, Pete," I whispered lovingly. Pete smiled wide.
"And a merry Christmas to you, beautiful," he responded before placing another kiss on my lips. I reveled in his touch for a moment before yawning triedly. Pete laughed.

"I'll go get the coffee ready," he informed me before giving me one last kiss and rolling out of bed. I watched him leave our room before sighing contentedly and sitting up. In all honesty, I was excited for this Christmas morning. I had quite the gift for him, and I knew for a fact he'd love it.

I stood from the bed and walked into our bathroom to brush my teeth before slipping on my black, 50's style house gown and silk slippers. After that was done, I walked back into the room and, after making sure the coast was clear, walked to my closet and removed the small, rectangular gift box, which was wrapped in silver wrapping paper with a small, metallic blue ribbon tied around it from it's hiding place in my leather jacket. I smiled down to the box before slipping it in my gown pocket and making my way downstairs.

Waiting for me in the living room were Pete and Detty; Pete with two mugs of steaming coffee and Detty with an unopened gift on her lap.
"Come on! Come on! I wanna open this!" Detty demanded, impatience clear in her voice. Pete and I chuckled as he handed me my mug and I took a seat next to him on the couch.

"Do you have the camera set up?" I asked Pete. He nodded his head before gesturing to the camera on a tri pod, which was pointed to the tree, the presents under it and an excited Detty on the floor next to it all. I took a few large gulps of my coffee, feeling refreshed already before looking over to Detty, who was staring at us with a silent plea. I giggled and nodded.

"Go ahead, sweet tart. Go at it."

I hardly got to finish the sentence before Detty started tearing at the package in her hands. She made quick work of it, soon revealing a small box meant for clothes. She looked disappointed for a moment, obviously hoping for some sort of toy. I laugh.

"Open the box, silly girl," I whispered. Detty did so slowly, obviously still expecting clothes, but her face lit up when seeing what was inside.

"Oh my gosh! Beyoncé!" She chirped. She was a big fan of Beyoncé.
"Open it and look at the booklet. It's more than just any old Beyoncé CD," I stated. Detty quickly did so, and I watched as her eyes lit up even more.

"It's signed!" She exclaimed, still marveling at, not only the signature of her idol on the booklet, but also a personalized little message which Pete and I read to her. It read;
"To Detty,
Your Daddy showed me some pictures of you and you may possibly be the most beautiful little girl I've ever seen! Your Daddy told me what a big fan you are, and I wanted to say how honored I am that I have such a wonderful little girl as a fan! Be a good girl, and keep being incredible.
With much love,
Beyonce Knowles
.
Detty squealed and hugged the booklet to her chest. Pete and I exchanged smiles, knowing we had done well so far. Detty placed the CD down and ran over to us, giving both a us a huge hug.
"Thank you! Thank you! This is the best!" The ecstatic four year old exclaimed as she gave us tight hugs. I kissed Detty on the forehead and smiled.

"Poppa got it signed just for you," I informed her. She smiled her big, beautiful smile at Pete and hugged the CD to her chest.
"Thank you so very much, Poppa," she said lovingly. I loved that she picked up so quickly on the manners we taught her as she grew. And I also loved the fact that she now called Pete 'Poppa' after hearing a girl call her father it in some period piece I was watching when she was two.

"You know nothing's too good for my diva," Pete stated and poked her nose, causing Detty to giggle before going back to the presents. And it was true. If Pete had it his way, he would hand Detty the world on a necklace. I on the other hand was determined to keep her down to earth. Pete was more of a 'she'll never want for anything' and I was more of a 'she'll never need for anything', if that makes sense.
As the morning went on, the presents finally began to disappear, and so did an entire pot of coffee and three large cinnamon rolls. Finally, at around six o'clock, the last present was open. Well, at least Detty's. I still had a present for Pete I was itching to give him. After giving us one last round of huge hugs, kisses and thank you's, Detty ran to her room with two brand new Barbies, the first toys she chose to play with. I sighed and leaned back into the couch for a moment.

"But we're not done yet, mommy," Pete stated through a playful smile. I smiled back and nodded my head. "Wait here."

As Pete went off to presumably get me my present, I pull the small, gift wrapped box from my pocket and looked down at it with a smile. I knew he'd love it, yet still, nerves began to surface.

After a couple of minutes I heard the door to the basement shut and Pete returned to the living room carrying in his arms a large but long, rectangular present, about three feet wide, five feet long, but only a few inches wide across, wrapped in metallic gold wrapping paper with a large, silver bow adorning it. He smiled wide as he set it down on it's side in front of me before kneeling in front of me. He then proceeded to stand in front of me, still unable to hide his smile of excitement. I looked up at him with a smirk and a quirked eyebrow.

"Was this in the basement?" I asked in amusement. Bruno shrugged his shoulders.

"I had to make sure you wouldn't find it," he informed me. I gave an "ah" and nodded my head in understanding before looking back down at the large present. I hadn't a clue what it could be.

"Well," Bruno motioned to the present. "Open it," he urged impatiently. I giggled at his impatience but didn't argue. I got down on my knees in front of the present and began to tear at the wrapping paper, sufficiently excited myself. I turned it this way and that to get all of the wrapping paper off, and, once it was, was met with a large, black, hard case. I knew straight away what it was; a guitar case. My excitement grew. Bruno knew I could never have too many instruments.
I looked up to Bruno with a smile, and he motioned for me to open the case, his excitement growing by the second. I giggled before putting the case on it's back and excitedly placing my fingers on the clasps that held it closed. I flipped the clasps back and slowly opening the case. Slowly, a beautiful, red and white, slightly worn Telecaster was revealed. My eyes widened as I realized that it wasn't just any guitar, it was the beloved red Fender Telecaster of my all time favorite Blues artist, Muddy waters. It was the guitar that became his favorite and main guitar from the late 1950s until his death in 1983.
I ran my hand over the smoothe surface of the body, before fingering the unique amplifier control knobs with which he had put on himself to replace his guitar’s original volume and tone controls. I then ran my fingers over the extra screws that he added to the thin plastic pick guard to prevent it from buckling and down to the white pick guard itself.
I couldn't take my wide eyes off of it, even as I spoke up to Pete in a quiet voice of disbelief.

"This is... This is his guitar." Then my voice got a little louder, and a little more excited. "The guitar. Muddy Waters' telecaster!"

Pete chuckled lovingly as he knelt down in front of me. I looked up at him with still wide eyes, tears now beginning to flood my bottom lid.

"Pete. This is incredible! How did you?- when did yo-"
Pete hushed me and placed his hand on my cheek, using his thumb to stroke my skin.
"It was nothing, baby. I would cross a thousand oceans to make you happy and you know it."

I did know it, and the thought made my tears previously only flooding my bottom lid spill over and begin to run down my cheeks. Pete smiled and placed his other hand on my other cheek, now using his thumbs to wipe at the tears.
"I love you so much, Peter Gene Hernandez. You're too good to me," I whispered breathlessly. Pete frowned slightly and shook his head before leaning closer to me, bringing his face to mine.

"No, baby. Even if I could make sure you never had a single worry in the world, it still wouldn't be good enough. You deserve everything good in this world. And I'll never stop trying to give it to you. It's you who is too good to me. Just you loving me, being married to me, and giving me our beautiful daughter to love and be loved in return has given me everything good to me in this world. I will never stop trying to repay you for that. For making me the happiest, most fulfilled man in all of the world," he spoke softly but adamantly. I smiled and sniffled a bit as more tears flowed from my eyes at his words. I shut the case to the guitar and leaned over it to throw my arms around him and press my lips to his in a passionate kiss, full of love and urgency. Pete smiled into the kiss after a while before slowly pulling away and continuing to smile. He leaned back and I did the same before opening the guitar case again to marvel at the instrument again. Pete leaned over the case and looked down at the guitar before pointing to the neck.

"It even has the original strings from the last time he played it," Pete informed me. I gasped before slowly reaching down and running my fingers over the strings on the fret board. The same strings Mr. Muddy Waters himself used his finger tips to finger out amazing blues riffs and leads.

"God, Pete," I spoke softly after a while before bringing my eyes back up to his face, which held a smile of pure delight at my own delight. "This must have cost you a literal fortune to buy it from the museum."

Pete chuckled and shrugged his shoulders.
"You could say that," he replied. My eyes widened even more in even more shock.

"Are you sure we can afford this? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it so much. I love that you did this. But, a fortune. Are you sure we can a-"
Pete cut me off by placing his fingers on my lips and hushing me with a soft smile.

"Don't worry about it, baby. I'd been putting money from my royalty checks aside for five years just for this. We're just fine," he assured me. "Don't worry about any of it."
My eyes widened even more, if such a thing was possible.

"Years? How long have you been planning this?" I asked him. He smiled.
"Since a few days before our wedding I've been making calls and putting money aside," he replied. "It wasn't easy, but," he paused to lean in and place a soft kiss on my lips, "it was worth it." He leaned back a little and smiled. "Just to see the wonder and enthrallment on your face makes it more than with it."

I smiled at him and held back anymore tears that threatened to fall. Bruno chuckled lovingly before motioning to the guitar again.
"Go ahead," he urged. "Pick it up. Hold it. You won't hurt it. It's all yours."

I smiled wide at the realization that it was, in fact, mine to do with as I please. And though I knew I wouldn't play it much, that it was going on the wall of our studio in a glass case for me to admire and show off to everyone I could, bragging about what a great husband I had.
I gingerly slid my hand under the neck and the other under the body and lifted the guitar from it's case. I handled it like a newborn as I propped it up on my leg and placed my fingers on the strings of the fret board, my fingers forming a chord in the same place I knew Muddy Waters' fingers once formed the same chord on the same strings.

"Here," Pete whispered, handing me a pick. I smiled and took it from him before gingerly strumming the strings over the pick guard to let the chord ring out a bit before dying down. I then moved the fingers of my left hand up the fret board to beginning playing the lead from his song Champagne And Reefer. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine Muddy Waters playing the same song on this same guitar, with these same strings. I let my fingers flow and my body sway to the lead. Of course, it didn't sound half as good without amplification, but it was enough for me. After a little while, I strummed the last note of the lead before slowly opening my eyes to be met with Pete's smiling face.

"You're so beautiful when you get into playing like that," Pete whispered lovingly. I blushed a bit before placing the guitar back in it's case, just as gingerly as I had taken it out before giving it one last look of disbelief at it really being there in front of me and slowly closing the case and latching it again. Once that was done, I looked back up to Pete and leaned in to give him one last, sweet kiss of love and gratitude and leaning back on my heels once more. I had almost forgotten about my present to him, but I was now more than ready to give it to him. I knew that it wasn't an expensive gift, or planned out so thoroughly like Pete's gift to me, but I knew that he would love it just as much as I loved his gift to me.

"Okay, my beloved husband, it's time for my gift to you," I informed him with a smile. Pete's face brightened and he gave a light clap of his hands.

"You know how much I always love your gifts! Gimme, gimme," Pete spoke like an excited child. I giggled before standing back up, Pete doing the same.
"Now, it's not nearly as expensive or well planned as your amazing gift, but, I think you'll love it," I let him know. Pete chuckled and ran his hand through my hair before pushing it behind my ear.

"My love, I know I'll love it. It's a gift from you, after all." He smiled softly at me and I returned it, biting my lip and clearing my throat in an attempt to stay calm enough not to jump on him and smoother him with kisses like I always wanted to do when he said such sweet things.

"Okay, then," I spoke softly before sitting down on the couch and gesturing for him to do the same. Pete sat down next to me on the couch and waited patiently as I slipped my hand into the pocket of my house gown and pulled out the small, rectangular box. I fingered it a bit in my hands, biting my lip nervously, even though I knew Pete would be ecstatic. Pete chuckled and held his hand out towards me, palm up.

"C'mon, baby. I know I'll love it. Just hand it over. I'm too excited for all of this suspense," Pete joked. I released my bottom lip from my teeth and giggled before slowly placing the small box in Pete's hand. Pete's smile widened in excitement before he quickly untied the ribbon around the gift. He then proceeded to tear the wrapping paper off, revealing the gift box of the necklace he had given me when Detty was born. Pete seemed to recognize the box and looked at me with a confused expression, but didn't lose his smile. I giggled and motioned for him to remove the lid.

Pete chuckled before grabbing the lid and slowly removing it, and as he registered just what was in the box, his smile slowly faded and a look of disbelief took over as he stared down at the positive pregnancy test inside.

"Ano... You're... We're... We're-"
"Yes, Peter." I answered his unfinished question.
Pete slowly removed the stick from the gift box, placed the box down beside him and he continued to stare at the test, a look of joyous disbelief still on his face. After a moment, his slightly gaping mouth turned into a full fledged, megawatt, toothy smile of utter joy.

"Oh, Ano!" Pete exclaimed as he jumped up from the couch and stepped in front of me before gathering me in his arms and lifting me from the couch to crush me against him.
"Oh, Ano. Oh, baby. My baby. This is the greatest present I could have ever asked for! This is so incredible! I love you so much, baby! So much!" Pete rambled before placing rapid kisses all over my neck and face, causing me to giggle before moving his lips to my own and giving me the hardest, most passionate kiss in all of existence. He clung to me like I was his life force, the fingers of one hand digging into my neck and the fingers of his other digging into the small of my back. After a minute, he finally pulled his lips away, leaving us both breathless before resting his forehead against mine. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Ano, baby. You continue to make me the happiest man in the world," he whispered breathlessly but adamantly. I smiled and reached up to run my fingers through his loose, natural curls, which he had worn his hair as for the last few years, trading in the Pompadour style he used to always wear before Detty was born.

"I'm so glad, Pete," I whispered through a smile. Pete smiled as well before placing another hard kiss to my lips and took a small step away from me to look back down at the positive pregnancy test in his hands with a large smile before looking back up to me.

"How long have you known?" Pete asked me, curiosity in his voice. I smiled and shrugged my shoulders.
"About a month and a half, but I really wanted to tell you as a Christmas present. I've already been to the doctor and got an ultrasound and everything." I smiled and placed my hand on my belly, looking down at the still fairly flat surface.

Pete gave me a look of disbelief.
"So you've been keeping it to yourself for that long? That must have been so tough," Pete whispered as he, too, placed his hand on my belly. I giggled and nodded my head.

"It was. I was bursting to tell you since the moment I found out. To tell anyone, in fact. But, naturally, I wanted you to be the first to know, so, I didn't even tell my Dad, Phil, or anyone, no matter how much I wanted to just shout it to everyone who would listen." I giggled. Pete chuckled before pulling me back into his arms and burying his face into the crook of my neck.

"You're an incredible woman, Ano, and I love you more than you know," Pete whispered against my skin, sending shivers down my spine. I placed a kiss to the side of his head.
"And I, you, my most beloved."

"Mommy? Papa?" A little voice came from beside us. We pulled away from each other to look down to our beautiful first born baby girl, who still held one of her new Barbies in her hand. and smiled.
"Yes, honey drop?" I asked softly. Detty walked up to us and wrapped her tiny arms around my thighs and burying her face into my leg.

"I heard yelling. Please don't be fighting," she whispered with a bit of fear in her voice. Pete and I both cooed as I stroked the hair on the top of her head.
Pete knelt down next to her and placed his hand on her back, causing her to look over to him but not let go of her hold on my thighs.

"Sweet tart, when do know of your Mommy and I ever fighting?" Pete whispered softly. Detty shook her head.
"Never," she replied softly. Pete smiled and nodded his head.

"Exactly. You're Mommy and I would never fight," Pete assured her. I too then knelt down to her level and smiled, gently pushing a loose strand from her pony tail out of her face.

"The yelling you heard was just your Poppa, and it was out of excitement," I explained. Detty looked from me over to Pete with intrigue.
"It was out of your Poppa being very, very happy," Pete explained softly before glancing over to me with a loving smile and returning his eyes back to Detty.

"Why were you so happy, Poppa?" Detty asked, curious as ever. Pete and I exchanged glances before looking back at Detty.
"Here, come over here and sit down with us," Pete suggested before both of us stood back up. I picked Detty up and placed her on the middle cushion of the couch before taking a seat next to her and Pete taking the seat on the other side of her. Pete and I looked at each other, silently asking who should do the talking. After a moment, Pete gestured to me, silently letting me know that I should start.

"Well, Detty, you know how you came from Mommy's tummy?" I asked her. Detty nodded her head and continued to listen.
"Well, guess what?" Pete spoke up. Detty looked over to him with intrigue.
"What?" She asked in her tiny voice. Pete looked over to me, silently asking permission for him to tell her. I smiled and nodded my head, giving him to go ahead.
Pete smiled and looked down to Detty.

"Well, there is another baby in Mommy's tummy!" Pete spoke softly but excitedly. Detty looked over to me, then back at Pete. Detty had said before about wanting a little sister or brother, but, for a moment, I was afraid that maybe she had changed her mind and decided she wanted to be an only child. That maybe she won't take it so well. But, soon, my fears became obsolete. It seemed Detty was only processing the information.

"So... I'm going to have a little sister or brother?" She asked. Pete and I both answered in unison.
"That's right," we stated. Soon, Detty's face lit up and she quickly stood up, right on the couch, and began to jump up and down.

"That's great, Mommy and Poppa!" She exclaimed and she continued to bounce before flinging herself into my arms. I caught her with an "oomf" and laughed as I wrapped my arms around her tiny body and her little arms snaked around my neck. I could almost hear Pete's smile from beside us.
Detty then pulled back from me and threw herself into Pete's arms, and he laughed joyously and held her close. I laughed as well in my own joy before scooting over to the cushion beside them and wrapping my arms around both Detty and Pete the best I could. Pete did the same, easily wrapping his arms around both of us and holding us close.

"I love you, Mommy and Poppa! And I love the baby in Mommy's tummy, too!" Detty exclaimed.
"And we love you, so much, our beloved little girl," I whispered, snuggling my face into her soft hair. I could hear Pete sigh contentedly.

"You two girls, and now the baby in Mommy's tummy, too, are my entire world. And I love you so much," Pete whispered, and I could hear his voice crack, for he was obviously on the brink of tears. This made tears prick at my eyes as well, and I closed them tight as I enjoyed our little family hug.

These two people, these two people were my entire world. And now we were adding on another to our family. Another to love, and be loved by. Another little being made purely out of pure, true love. Another little being to be forever proof of Pete and I's love.
And I reveled in the moment, thinking to myself with such joy;

This is my family.
This is my life.

This is my love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

This is Detty at four years old like she is in this chapter. Isn't she precious?

(EDIT: I rewrote most of the chapter because I just wasn't happy with it, and figured you weren't either since I didn't get a single comment. Let me know what you think of the rewritten parts.)
Finally got it up! The last chapter!
Man, let me tell you how much I enjoyed writing this story. I fell so in love with the characters I so don't want it to end. But every story must end eventually. I just hope you guys enjoyed the journey of Bruno and Ano as much as me. I want to thank you so much for being such incredible readers and leaving such amazing feedback. If it weren't for you, I'm not sure I would have been able to keep up the entusiasm and passion I did for this story. You guys are incredible.
Leave me comments. Let me know what you thought overall of the story and it's ending. Plus, it gives me a chance to thank each of you personally.
YOU ARE LOVED