I'm Suppose to Hate You

Chapter 9.

I sat on the front step of the house the next night; Pete was sitting next to me. “You’re going to think I’m crazy if I tell you what I’m thinking about and I’m not letting you read my mind. You’re going to stay in the dark about this one,” I told Pete, looking at the road that led into town. The street where I first met William.

“Please just tell me. I hate seeing you like this,” Pete said softly. I looked at him and let out a spiteful laugh.

“Somehow, I find that very hard to believe,” I mumbled. Pete sighed.

“Is it about William? Is that it?” Pete guessed. I nodded slowly. Pete sighed and hugged me.

“I can’t believe I actually thought he cared about me,” I said. Pete nodded.

“He’s a jackass,” Pete said.

“I agree wholeheartedly,” I said. I sniffled a little and sighed. “I’m going for a walk,” I said, standing up. I walked down the street and into the deserted town. I walked over to where I was kicking William yesterday. I saw something shiny on the ground. I bent down and picked it up. It was a gold, heart-shaped necklace. Engraved on it were the words:

Emily, My Heart Will Always Belong To You.

I looked at the necklace. William was telling me the truth. He was lying to Brendon. He did care. I placed the necklace carefully around my neck and placed the pendent inside my shirt. I ran back to the house.

“Pete!” I exclaimed. “I have to go find William, right now!” I exclaimed.

“Why?” Pete asked.

“I’ll be home soon,” I said. I thought of the mansion and blinked. When I opened my eyes, I was in William office. He was looking out of the window.

“You weren’t lying to me yesterday were you?” I asked. William spun around.

“When you said that you were lying to Brendon,” I added.

“I wasn’t. I wouldn’t lie to you. I can’t lie to you. You mean too much to me,” William said, walking over to me. I pulled the locket out of my shirt.

“I know,” I sighed. He took the pendant in his hand before letting go of it and wrapping his arms tightly around me. I wrapped my arms around him. That’s when he kissed me.