‹ Prequel: Secrets Will Kill You
Sequel: Killing Me Slowly

Secrets Will Kill You The Sequel

God Left the Building A Long Time Ago...

We started to look inside everything we were able to pull out and then I found some kind of party invitation. “Hey, this looks familiar” I said aloud.

Then, Dean got to my side. “Hey isn’t that…” he started but stopped when the whole scenery changed.

We were surrounded by a bunch teenagers dancing, drinking and grinding on one another with music blasting. “Where are we?” Sam asked over the music.

“I remember this…I had this party when my dad and mom went out of town…talk about a cliché…I remember begging Sam and Brittney to just baby sit Lindsey for me…” I smiled at Brit.

“Yea and she came at us with a ping pong ball gun” Brit glared playfully. “This was a prize moment for you?” Sam asked.

“I don’t know why…” I said, unsure as I continued to look around.

“Looks like two delinquents are heading for the bedrooms. I hope you washed your sheets that night, Mel” Dean chuckled as we all looked to see two of the teenagers heading upstairs.

“Umm Dean you should look again at who you’re talking about” Sam said with a smirk playing at his lips. “Those delinquents are us!” I claimed as my eyes widened.

Dean and I headed upstairs while Sam and Brit went looking around for new paths. We hung out in the doorway while we watched ourselves make out on my bed. "This is a favorite moment for you? We do this all the time" he mentioned.

I didn't even look at him though. "Keep watching" I replied and nodded my head at them on the bed as I folded my arms.

Now he was hovering over her and he suddenly stopped to stare into her (my) eyes. "Mel..."

"Is something wrong?" she asked, putting his head into her hands.

He stared down at her like she was the most fragile thing in the world...and I noticed Dean still stares at me the same way, today. "No...no. Everything’s perfect...I just..." he stopped again, grabbing one of her hands away from his face but he held onto it.

"Dean, just say what you want to say" she laughed.

"I love you" he finally blurted.

She stared at him in shock as I felt myself start to smile. "I love you, too" she replied.

He didn't do anything at first...but then they picked up right where they started. "It was the first time I ever said that to a girl..." big Dean murmured as I felt his eyes were sill glued on the younger versions of us.

"It was the first time I ever heard it and believed it from a guy...and it was the first time I ever said it, too" I murmured back at him.

Then I shut the door and looked at him as he looked at me. "This is also what gave us Jesse" I added.

"So a year from now we'll be at the ski resort and get into that accident"

"Yea" I sighed.

He looked back at the door, leading into my room. "This is one of my favorite moments, too" he admitted and then looked back at me.

I just stared up into his eyes as he stared into mine. But then he scenery changed again and I felt my feet get surrounded by sand. I looked down and saw I was wearing a bikini and Dean had no shirt on. I looked up and over at Sam and Brittney who were dressed like we were.

"We're at the lake" I grinned.

"This is one of my moments...my parents always worked so when you guys came to the lake, I would tag along...it was a legit family vacation" Brit explained to the boys.

I looked over and saw my dad playing the piano with John, Mary, mom and Lindsey standing around him. "And this is my moment because I always loved coming here to swim in the lake and hear my dad play" I said absentmindedly.

We all went to walk forward but it changed again. "I’m going to get whiplash from scenery changes" I commented. "Maybe Heaven is just trying to make all of us happy by playing all of our memories at once" Brit suggested.

I looked around and saw we were in some cabin. “Well, now, where are we?” Dean grunted as we all looked around.

“No way” Sam said in awe as he looked around. Then, a beautiful dog came running into the room. “Bones!” he cheered as he knelt down and started to pat the dog.

“Doggie!” I cheered as well as I got on my knees to pet the dog, like a little girl. Brit laughed. “Uh oh, we lost her now. Dogs are Mel’s weakness” she said.

But, I ignored her. “Where’s your home little fella?” I cooed. I noticed Dean was looking at me in a funny way but I ignored him too. “It’s right here. Bones was my dog” Sam grinned.

“Your…your dog?” Dean questioned. “Yea” he said as he sat on the couch and opened up a pizza box.

“Is this Flagstaff?”

“Yea…hey boy” he said, excitedly, still petting Bones.

“This is a good moment for you?”

"Yea, I mean I was on my own for two weeks. I lived off of Funions and Mr. Pibb”

“Wow”

“What?”

“You don’t remember, do you?”

I looked up at the sound of some hurt in Dean’s voice but no one else caught it. “You ran away on my watch. I looked everywhere for you, I thought you were dead. And when Dad came home…” he said, getting annoyed and angry.

Sam sighed. “Dean, look, I’m sorry, I never thought about it like that”

“Forget it, let’s roll,” Dean said, sharply as he headed for the door as Brit followed.

“Awe” I said and kissed the dogs head before standing to my feet.

Sam smiled at me and then reluctantly said goodbye and told Bones to stay as I hooked my arm around Sam’s arm and we walked out together.

We got outside and it was dark out again as we stood in front of an old, shack-looking house. We turned around and Sam‘s cabin was gone. "Alright, come on. It's a road" I said but saw Dean wasn't going to follow. He stood his ground.

"Wait a minute..." he said and looked at the old, rotted house in front of us. "This a memory...what memory is this?” Dean narrowed his eyes at everything.

“No idea…come on” Sam tried but Dean still didn’t budge, he just looked around. “Dean, road to God, remember?”

“Hold on, hold on…this? This is the night you ditched us for Stanford, isn’t it?" he accused venomously at Sam. "This is your idea of Heaven? Wow. This is like one of the worst nights of my life"

“I can’t control this stuff.” Sam said gently.

“Seriously? I mean this is happy memory for you?”

“I dunno. I was on my own, I finally got away from Dad"

“Yeah, he wasn’t the only one you got away from,” Dean replied, bitterly.

“Dean, I’m sorry, I just…”

“Oh I know, you didn’t think of it like that"

Brit and I slowly inched toward each other, gettin out of the way of the brothers little war. We both crossed our arms. “Dean..."

“Come on man! Your Heaven is somebody else’s Thanksgiving! Okay? It’s bailing on your family! I mean what do you want me to say?”

“Man, I never got the crusts cut off my PB and J. I just don’t look at family the way you do"

“Yeah, but I’m your family..." he started and then pointed at me and Brit. "Mel and Brit. They're your family..." I could hear the vulnerability in his voice was showing more.

“I mean we’re supposed to be a team. It’s supposed to be the four of us against the world... okay, if it's not the four of us..." he shot daggers at us. "Then it's you and me against everyone, right?"

"Dean, it is" Sam said lightly. "Is it?" Dean asked, not believing Sam.

There was silence after that...and in that silence I looked up at Brit. She looked at me. Dean was right. We were all supposed to be one team, with all of us on the same side, against the world. But if anything...Brit and I were supposed to be in this together. Right now, we're only sill workin together because of the guys. They’re the only reason why we're sticking together professionally.

I don't want that. I need us to have some kind of friendship between us...otherwise nothing will go right and we're going to die without even some kind of closure. And I can't have Dean blame me for something too. He'll blame me if something happens to Sam or Brit...if we loose them again...it'll be my fault....

All of a sudden, the spotlight beamed down on us. Brit and I lunged forward to grab Sam and Dean. "Come on, we have to get out of here" I said and we all took off racing into the woods.

With me and Brit leading the way, Sam and Dean were close behind and I jumped over a log and ducked down behind it as they all did the same. “Wow. Running from angels! On foot. In Heaven. With out-of-the-box thinking like that, I’m surprised you kids haven’t stopped the apocalypse already" we heard Zachariah’s voice.

Then all of a sudden, I heard fingers snap and it was day now. “Guys! Come on, what’s the problem? I just wanna send you back to Earth, that’s all. I mean, that is after I tear you a cosmos of new ones. You’re on my turf now, boys and girls. And by the time I’m through with you, you’re going to be begging to say yes"

Then there was silence. "Okay, ready?" Dean whispered.

We all nodded and then jumped to our feet and started running, careful not to trip and fall…but then Zachariah appeared a few feet in front of us.

“Guys. Come on. You can run...but you can’t run. And like I said, you’re on my turf so you can't feel my presence, princess" he said to me but we took off in the opposite direction.

We were jumping over logs and branches, dodging trees...and then there was someone in a mask, wearing a cape a few fee in front of us. "Shhh hurry! This way!" he said in a deep voice. Really, we had no other choice. So we followed him.

He led us to a rusty, old , metal shed, drew a symbol on it and then swung the door open. We all walked in. It was pretty big on the inside, bigger than what it looked like anyway. There was a bar, tables, chairs and a pool table. From what I could see in the dark, it actually looked familiar....

"Wait. Who are you?" Brit asked.

“Buenos dias, bitches" he said and pulled off his mask and took off his cape. My mouth dropped as I stared wide-eyed at Ash.

"Ash?" Sam asked in disbelief.

He clapped his hands and the lights came on. “Welcome to my blue heaven"

We looked around. “My God...it's the Roadhouse" I said in awe as I smiled and looked around. “It even smells the same" Dean said, smiling as well.

“Bud, blood, and beer nuts. It’s the best smell in the world,” Ash said as he went behind the counter. “How about a cold one? Up here, no hangover" he said as we all walked over to him and he took out some beers.

“So um…no offense…” Sam started.

“How does a dirt bag like me end up in a place like this? Been saved, man. I was my congregation’s number one snake handler”

“And you said this was your Heaven?” Brit asked.. “Yep, my own. Personal” he said and drank from a tiny hole in the side of the can.

“And when the angels jumped us, we were…”

“In your Heaven,”

“So there are two Heavens?” Sam assumed.

“No, more like a hundred billion. So no worries, it’ll take them angel boys a minute to catch up”

We all exchanged a look “See, you gotta stop thinking of Heaven as one place. It’s more like a buttload of places, all crammed together. Like Disney Land. Except without all the anti-semitism.”

“Disney Land,” Sam and Brittney repeated.

“Mhmm! See, you got Winchester Land, Stern Land, Hails Land…Ash Land. A whole mess of everybody-else-lands. Put ‘em all together…Heaven. Right? And at the center of it all is the magic kingdom. The garden”

“So everybody gets a little slice of paradise” Dean said.

“Pretty much. A few people share. Special cases, what-not”

“What do you mean, special?” I asked.

“Ah, you know, like…soul mates” he gestured to all of us.

We looked at each other discreetly as things suddenly became slightly awkward.

“Anyways, most people can’t leave their own private Idahos”

“But you ain’t most people,” Dean guessed.

“Nope. They ain’t got my skills. Hell, I’ve been all over. Johnny Cash. Andre the Giant. Einstein.” He looked at Sam and Brittney. “Sam, Brit, that man can mix a White Russian. Hell, I met Garrett Hardin”

“Who?” Brit asked.

“Wrote the Commons Consulta. His heaven? Sweaty, confusing…”

“All coming from a guy who used to sleep on a pool table” I smiled.

“Yeah, now I’m dead, I’m living, a whole lot more”

“So how’d you find us?” Sam asked.

“I rigged up my own heaven-place scanner” he said and showed us a computer and there were high pitch sounds coming from it. “Those are angels. Fluent” he said and shut it off.

“I heard you were up…of course I had to come find you…again

“Again?” Dean repeated.

“This ain’t the first time you’ve been here. I mean, you guys die more than anyone I’ve ever met”

“Really…”

“Ah yeah…you don’t remember. God, angels. Must’ve Windex’d your brain”

“So uh, I mean, have you found anybody else? Ellen and Jo?” Sam asked.

“Ellen and Jo are dead?” Ash asked, just staring at us.

His eyes landed on me as I hung my head down slightly. I felt the others put their eyes on me as well but I just sat there. “Uh yeah, a few months now. Sorry” Sam answered.

Ash shifted in his spot as he swallowed. “Uhh, they went down fighting?”

“Yeah. ‘Till the end”

“Yeah, lot of good it did,” I muttered, shaking my head.

I felt Sam and Brit give me looks, I ignored them and just looked up at Ash with slightly sad eyes. “What about our folks?” Dean asked, changing to subject for me.

“I’ve been looking all over for John Winchester and William Stern. Mary, too. So far, nada. I’m sorry,” he said, sincerely. “But hey, there is somebody that I know for sure wants to join with you. Hold up” he said and went through the back door.

When he came back, he was leading Pamela out to us...and she had her eyes back. “Nice to see you kids again” she smiled at us.

~~~

While Sam and Brit were sitting with Ash at the bar with the angel computer thing, Dean and I were sitting at a table with Pamela. “So” she said, looking at both of us. “So” Dean said. “So…” I said, more slowly.

Then, she smacked Dean in the head and tapped my cheek lightly. “That’s for getting me killed” she said and I shifted in my spot.

"Yeah. Well that’s probably less than we deserve,” I said. “If it makes you feel any better, we got Ash killed, too.” Dean tried.

“I’m cool with it!”

“He’s cool with it” Dean nodded his head once.

I laughed lightly, under my breath. “So, are you good?” I asked her.

“I’m good” she nodded. We both eyed her lightly. “Really. Remember my death scene? Gut shot, coughing blood? You told me I was going someplace better”

“I was lying,” Dean said.

“You were right. My Heaven? It is one long show with the metal lands. It’s amazing! You should see it”

“Yeah” we both smiled lightly at her.

“You don’t believe me,” she realized.

“No, we do. It’s just, you know…spending eternity trapped in your own little universe while the angels run the show…that’s lonely,” I said. "That’s not Nirvana, that’s the Matrix.” Dean added.

“I dunno. Attic’s still better than the basement,”

“Yeah but…you know, this place…it feels real, but it’s Memorex. Real is down there”

“Yeah well, close enough,” she said and took a sip of her drink. “Look, Dean, Melissa…I’m happy. I’m at peace.”

“What, are you trying to sell me a timeshare? What’s with the pitch?” Dean smiled.

She laughed lightly. “I know that Michael wants to take you both out for a test drive”

“Pamela…” Dean started, sternly.

“Just saying. What happens if you play ball with him? Worst case”

“A lot of people die”

“And then they come here. That really so bad? Look…maybe you don’t have to fight it so hard. That’s all I’m trying to say” We both just stared at her.

“Hey…found a short cut to the garden,” Sam said as they all looked over at us.

We all walked over to the front door. “All access pass to the magic kingdom,” Ash said as he was drawing some stuff on the door.

“Good,” Dean commented. Ash looked up at us. “Not good?” I questioned.

“That Zach fella’s gonna be watching every road to the garden” he said and then went back to drawing.

I watched as Sam hugged Pamela, then so did Brit. “Watch your ass” she said to both of them.

They nodded. Then she faced me and I smiled at her with open arms. She smiled as well, hugging me tight. Then, she put her mouth to my ear. “You and Dean an item, finally?” she asked.

I laughed a little. “We are but we aren’t” I replied. “You want to test him out, see what I go through all the time?” I laughed a little.

“Can I?” she asked, pulling away to look at my face. “Go for it” my smile broadened.

I stepped to the side and saw everyone giving us looks. But, she just faced Dean as he had his arms open for her. She went to him but kissed him instead. I saw how his eyes twitched to me and he saw me just standing there, smiling with my arms crossed and then he shut his eyes and they kissed for a long moment. Then, she pulled away.

“Yep, just how I imagined” she said, patting his cheek. She looked at me. “You are one very lucky girl” she whispered to me, with a thumbs up.

I just smiled at her and then got to Dean’s side. Ash shot up to face all of us. “Ah, gentlemen. Ladies. I don’t mean to be a downer or anything, but uh…I’m sure I’ll see you again soon” he said and opened the door for us.

“Well, keep the scanner up looking for us” I said. “Will do” he nodded. I saw Dean wink at Pamela and then we all walked out.

All of a sudden, we were in the Winchester’s house again, the lights were off and it was dark outside. “What the hell? Why are we back home again?” Dean questioned. “I dunno” Sam replied.

“So what’re we gonna do?” Brit asked. “Keep looking for the road again, I guess,” Dean answered.

“Honey! Why are you up?” Mary asked gently as she came into the room in a white nightgown, staring at Dean.

“Um, look. I’m sorry…I love you, but you’re not real and we don’t have time” he said.

“Did you have a nightmare? Tell me,”

“…I gotta go,”

“Then, how about I tell you my nightmare, Dean? The night I burned?” she said.

We all froze as we just stared at her as blood started to appear on her nightgown. “Dean, Sammy, lets get out of here” I said and tried to get them both to move. “Yea, come on” Brit tried helping and we all took a few steps away.

“Don’t you walk away from me,” she said with anger. We froze again and looked back at her. “I never loved you. You were my burden. I was shackled to you…look what it got me” she continued and her eyes turned yellow.

I looked up at Dean as he continued to stare at Mary and tears were filling his eyes. “Dean” Sam spoke up.

He turned to look at him but then suddenly, everything became eerie as green light bordered doorways and windows and we saw that brick walls were replacing the doors and windows, keeping us blocked inside.

Mary’s yellow eyes disappeared. “The worst was the smell. The pain, well. What can you say about your skin bubbling off? But the smell was so…you know, for a second I thought I left a pot roast burning in the oven?” she continued.

I turned to try and see if the brick walls would budge…they didn’t. “But it was my meat…and then finally, I was dead. The one silver lining is that at least I was away from you. Everybody leaves you, Dean. You noticed? Mommy, Daddy…even Sam. Ever ask yourself why? I mean, it’s only a matter of time before Melissa leaves you too. And Brittney for that matter. Maybe it’s not them. Maybe it’s you” She smiled.

“Easy now, kitten,” a voice said and Zachariah walked on in. “You did this,” Sam said, venomously.

“And I’m just getting started. I mean, guys…did you really think you could just sneak past me into mission control?”

“You son of a bitch,” Sam hissed and started forward as I was right at his side but then angel-dudes popped up behind us, holding us in our spot.

“You know, I could actually say the same thing about you, Sam, but I have actually grown quite fond of your mother…or at least the blessed memory of her” he said and kissed Mary’s neck.

The guys looked away while Brit and I were staring him down. “I think we’re gonna be logging a lot of quality time together. I’ve discovered she’s quite the…MILF”

“You can gloat all you want, you dick,” I spat. “You’re still bald” Dean finished.

“In Heaven, I have six wings and four faces, one of which is a lion. You see this because you’re… limited” he said, stroking Mary’s arm. Then, he snapped his fingers and she was gone.

“Lets get down to business shall we?” he said and walked over to us, in front of Dean.

"You gonna ball gag us until we say yes huh” Dean said but then Zachariah punched him in the stomach. Dean grunted, bending over as I jumped slightly.

“I’m gonna do a lot more than that. I’ve cleared my schedule. Get him up” Zachariah ordered and the angel, pulled Dean back up and he punched him again.

Then, he backhand me across the face. I felt a small welt forming, fast. “Let me tell you something. I was on the fast track, once. Employee of the month, every month, forever. I’d walk these halls and people would avert their eyes! I had respect!…and then they assigned me you” he said, looking at all of us.

“Now look at me. I can’t close the deal on a couple of pathetic, flannel-wearing maggots and their little whores? Everybody’s laughing at me…and they’re right to do it. So, say yes, don’t say yes…I’m still gonna take it out of your asses. It’s personal now, kids. And the last person in the history of creation you want as your enemy is me. And I’ll tell you why. Lucifer may be strong, but I’m…pity. I’m gonna be the angel on your shoulder for the rest of eternity”

“Excuse me, sir?” a different voice said.

Zachariah turned to look at the oldish-looking man standing behind him. “I’m in a meeting” he said, irritably, as if it wasn’t obvious while he gestured to us.

“I’m sorry, I need to speak to those four,” the man pointed to us.

“Excuse me?”

“It’s a bad time, I know. But I’m afraid I have to insist,”

“You don’t get to insist jack squat”

“No, you’re right. But the boss does. His orders”

We all exchanged a look. “You’re lying,”

“Wouldn’t lie about this. Look…fire me if you want. Sooner or later he’s gonna come back home. And you know how he is with that whole wrath thing” Then, Zachariah looked back at us for a second…and then him and the other angels were gone.

But, when we looked around, we weren’t in the house anymore. We were surrounded by plants and tall trees in some kind of dome.

This is Heaven’s garden?” Brit asked.. “It’s nice…ish. I guess” Dean said.

“You see what you want to here. For some, it’s God’s throne room, for others it’s Eden, you four…I believe it’s the Cleveland Botanical Gardens. You came here on a field trip. All of you did in fact. You didn’t even know you were all in the same place at the same time with no memory of each other. You did see each other though…even shared a few words, I believe” he told us.

“You’re Joshua,” Sam realized. “I’m Joshua,” he nodded and smiled.

“So you…talk to God,” Brit said.

“Mostly, he talks to me,”

“Well um, we need to speak to Him. It’s important,” Sam said. “Where is He?” Dean asked.

“On Earth”

“Doing what?”

“I don’t know,” Joshua answers. “Do you know where on Earth?” Sam asked.

“No, sorry. We don’t exactly speak face-to-face”

“I’m sorry, I don’t really get it” I said. “God’s not talking to nobody, so…” Dean started.

“So why is he talking to me…I sometimes think it’s because I can sympathize. Gardener to gardener. And between us…I think he gets lonely”

“Well my heart’s breaking for Him,” Dean says. “Well can you at least get Him a message for us?” Brit asked.

“Actually, He has a message for you,” We waited for him to continue. “'Back off’.”

“What?” I asked.

“He knows already. Everything you want to tell him. He knows what the angels are doing, He knows that the apocalypse has begun, he just doesn’t think it’s his problem,”

“Not his problem,” Dean repeated.

“God saved you already. He put you on that plane. He brought back Castiel. He granted you salvation in Heaven. And after everything you’ve done, too” His eyes went to Sam and Brittney and now they were out of the conversation.

“It’s more than He’s intervened in a long time. He’s finished. Magic amulet or not. You won’t be able to find him”

“But he can stop it. He can stop all of it!” I stressed.

“I suppose he could. But he won’t”

“Why not?” Dean demanded lightly.

“Why does he allow evil in the first place? You could drive yourself nuts asking questions like that”

“So he’s just gonna sit back and watch the world burn?” I said, incredulous.

“I know how important this was to you, Melissa…Dean…I’m sorry”

“Well forget it, Just another dead-beat Dad with a bunch of excuses, right? Well I’m used to that. I’ll muddle through” Dean said and I shook my head, completely agreeing with him.

“Except, you don’t know if you can this time. You can’t kill the Devil, and you’re losing faith. Both off you are. In yourselves, your brother and sister, and now this. God was your last hope. I just…I wish I could tell you something different”

“How do we know you’re telling the truth?” Sam asked.

“You think that I would lie?”

“It’s just…you’re not exactly the first angel we’ve met,” Brit explained.

“I’m rooting for you kids! I wish I could do more to help you, I do. But, I just trim the hedges”

“So what now?” I asked, monotonously.

“You go home again,” he replied, stepping a few feet away from us. “I’m afraid this time, won’t be like the last. This time, God wants you to remember” he said and held up his hand. Then, there was a bright flash of light too strong for any of us to keep our eyes open.

~~~

I gasped for air as I shot up in my spot and felt myself sitting in a little bit of my own blood. The others did the same. “You all alright?” Sam asked, catching his breath. “Define alright” I replied. Then, Dean stood and grabbed my hand to help me to my feet.

We called Cas and told us to meet us here and as we all got cleaned up and started to pack our things. we told him what happened with Joshua. “Maybe…maybe Joshua was lying,” Cas said, staring out the window.

We all looked up at him. “I don’t think he was, Cas, I’m sorry,” Sam said.

I stared at him with sad eyes as he stared up. “You son of a bitch. I believed in…”he started, venomously but then he stopped and faced us. He took out Dean’s necklace. “I don’t need this anymore” he said and tossed it to Dean. “It’s worthless” he added.

“Cas, wait!” Brit tried but he didn’t listen, he just vanished. “We’ll find another way. We can still stop all of this” Sam said.

“How?” Dean and I both asked, monotonously.

“I dunno…”

“But we’ll find it. The four of us. A Team. We‘ll find it” Brit added.

Dean and I didn’t respond though. I grabbed my bag as he grabbed his and we all watched as he walked over to the door and stopped. He hung the necklace from his hand and then dropped it into the trash can before walking out. God really wasn’t going to help us…our last hope…
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333