‹ Prequel: Secrets Will Kill You
Sequel: Killing Me Slowly

Secrets Will Kill You The Sequel

Tension and Pain

“Is this really necessary?” Dean questioned. “Well, I mean, we got our hands full, Dean...a house full of flight risks” Sam said.

“I’m not letting him do it”

“Who, Adam? No, I'm...I'm not, either” Sam said

“No, you're not getting me, Sam”

“No, we get you perfectly. But we aren’t letting you two do it either”

“That kid's not taking a bullet for me”

“Dean…” Brit started.

“I’m serious. I mean, think about how many people we’ve gotten killed, guys. Mom, dad, Jess…” Dean started.

“Jo, Ellen, Ash…Brit, your parents, mine, including Katherine. Lindsey…” I made the list even longer as I started to pace a little and my voice began to crack but I tried to hide it. I put a hand to my forehead. “Should I go on?” I threw my hand up in exaggeration.

“It’s not like we pulled the trigger” Sam said, gently.

“We might as well have” I said, more quietly.

“We’re tired, man. Tired of fighting who we’re supposed to be” Dean said.

“Well, do you think maybe you two could take a half a second and stop trying to sacrifice yourselves for a change? Maybe we all could actually stick together?” Brit said.

“I don’t think so, Short Stuff” Dean said, lightly.

“Why not? Dean, seriously. Tell me. I want to know” Sam said, matter-of-factly.

“I just…I…I don’t believe” Dean whispered and I saw the tears build up in his eyes as he stared at Sam.

Brit and I weren’t part of the verbal conversation anymore, we were just implied…but I guess that’s what we were destined to do anyway…just be there, not having any say…only our presence.

“In what?”

“In you” he answered, truthfully. There was silence. “I mean, I don’t…I don’t know whether it’s gonna be demon blood or some other demon chick or what, but…I do know they're gonna find a way to turn you…both of you”

“So you’re saying we’re not strong enough” Sam said and I could see his tears coming to his eyes as well.

“You’re both angry, you’re self-righteous…passive…” he looked at Brit.

She crossed her arms and held her head up high. She was showing him that it was different this time…shes changed…but was it enough….

“Lucifer's gonna wear you to the prom, man, with Brit as his date. It's just a matter of time”

“Don't say that to me. Not you…of all people” Sam choked back his words.

“I don’t want to. But it’s the truth. And when Satan takes you over, there's got to be somebody there to fight him, and it ain't gonna be that kid. So, it's got to be me”

There was more silence. It was worse though. Filled with tension and pain….

Then, Sam and Brittney left the panic room, leaving us alone. “You had to say that to him?” I questioned but there was a little attitude in my voice as I started to pace some more.

“Oh no, don’t you turn on me too. You were thinking the same thing” he said and I could see and hear that he was still fighting back tears.

“Yea, but to say that you don’t believe in him anymore, Dean…to actually say it to his face…it’s different than saying it in your head” I kept my voice light and flowing.

“Keeping things from each other is exactly what grew us all apart!” He kept his voice hard.

“But, having us all not be one team is what ruined us”

I stopped pacing to just stare at him from across the room. He contemplated what I had said for a moment…then he threw the side table down to the floor so the lamp smashed into pieces. I didn’t move or flinch. I just stayed in my spot as he kicked some pieces across the floor and tried to even out his breathing as he just stood there.

That’s when I walked over to him and put his face in my hands. I wiped away his few tears that had slipped and I stared into his eyes for a moment and then I kissed him. It was a simple and sweet kiss…like one that felt like we would do it over and over again until we died.

I let go of his face to bend down and pick up a shard from the lamp. I sliced it down the palm of my hand. “What are you doing?” he asked as he sniffled a little.

I walked over to the cabinet to draw some of my blood onto the door of the cabinet. “We’re not letting Adam do this and he will still try to escape whether he has me as his weapon or not and I’m kind of sure the angels would still accept him saying yes if this really is their plan, but something just isn’t right. I have this feeling…” I babbled a little as I finished up the sigil.

“So you have a plan” he assumed, bypassing what I had just said to just get to the point of my thought. “Yea. I have a plan” I said and used the sheets to clean up my hand a little.

I couldn’t use my sense to our advantage in here because…well, it’s a keep away demons room so it keeps my sense away too…but it didn’t keep away my instinct. I pulled Dean to the side by the cabinet and we waited. He didn’t ask why because he now knew why…and as if on cue, Cas was calling out to us, looking through the peep hole. Then, he shut it and opened the door. He stepped in.

“Dean? Melissa?” he tried again. “Cas” I spoke up.

He turned to face us and I slammed my hand down on the sigil. There was a bright light, Cas yelled out a little and then he was gone. Dean and I stepped out of the panic room, cautiously and carefully and made our escape out the basement window.

~~~~~~~~

Dean and I made our way on foot into town. We saw a preacher on the sidewalk trying to warn everyone about the apocalypse and the angels and all that nonsense…he was kind of yelling it instead of just warning everyone about it. I sighed as we walked up to him.

“Hey! I’m Dean Winchester and this is Melissa Stern. Do you know who we are?”

His face went pale as he stared at us like a deer in headlights. “Dear God”

“I’d take that as a yes” I voiced.

“Listen, we need you to pray to your angel buddies and let them know that we’re here” Dean instructed.

The dude fell to his knees and folded his hands as he stared up to the sky. I shoved my hands into my pockets as I looked around at the people avoiding us. “Our father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name…” he started.

But, I jumped slightly as Cas came out of no where. “You pray too loud” he grunted and touched the preacher’s neck. He fell to the ground, unconscious.

Then, Cas gripped my wrist so tight, I thought it might break off then and there. He also grabbed a hold of Dean and dragged us into the alley right next to us. He let go of me and threw Dean up against the wall and punched him.

“What, are you crazy?” he grunted.

Cas didn’t answer, he just swung at Dean’s face again…and again…and again…. “Cas! Cut it out!” I finally yelled.

I jumped forward to pull him off and before he could punch Dean again, I grabbed his arm but he caught me off guard when he swung around quickly and his fist collided with my face. I stumbled back a bit.

“Shit, Cas!” I grunted as I felt the welt already.

He didn’t stop though. He came after me, swinging left and right. I didn’t want to take a swing at Cas, so I continued to dodge and duck, avoiding his hits and I was doing pretty well, anticipating his moves in the vibration of his feet…but his anger was just doing better. The next thing I know, his knee collided with my stomach, his fist collided with my face twice, my back collided with the wall as I went spinning to the side and he grabbed my shirt to slam me back into the wall.

“I rebelled for this?! So that you could surrender to them?” he shouted and punched me once more so I fell to the ground.

He spun to get back to Dean and continue to kick the crap out of him. “I gave everything for you two. And this is what you give to me!” he yelled.

I couldn’t even find the strength to get up. At first, my face was flat on the pavement but I managed enough energy to get on my knees and hunch over. I watched as he finally lightened up and touched Dean’s forehead so he became fully unconscious. Then, he came over to me and just stared down at me. I watched as his hand was twitching, becoming a fist again.

“Come on, Cas. It’s okay if you’re not done…take another shot at me” I said weakly as I used the brick wall beside me to help me stand to my feet. “You have every right to be more than angry at us…” I added.

“I don’t understand, Melissa. You should know…” he started but stopped. His anger was taking over his words.

“I don’t know anything, anymore, Cas. Maybe I am supposed to try to convince Dean that what we’re aiming for is all wrong, but maybe I’m also just supposed to go with it, be Michael’s weapon…”

“But, the prophecy says you are supposed to die in the battle, Melissa…”

“I’m very aware. But, if Dean’s saying yes…then so am I, Cas. I wont let him feel like hes doing it alone…and to be perfectly honest, fighting destiny is tiring. It’s hard. And it hurts…” My emotions started to take over my words as well.

We both watched each other carefully. He stepped toward me with determination and we were face to face, inches apart. Then, he reached up to touch my forehead and I became limp. I felt him catch me in his arms as I was, now, unconscious. I got into a fight with a freakin psycho angel and got my ass kicked…and I did more than just lost.

~~~~

When I started to come to, I tried moving my hand but I felt a cuff around it. I opened my eyes to see I was cuffed to the bed in the panic room. So was Dean but he was laying on the floor. I squinted a little as I saw Sam and Brit sitting a few feet in front of us.

“Holy crap, my head hurts” I buried my head into the pillow. “Handcuffs: very kinky” I said into the pillow and gave a thumbs up but I knew they still heard me because when I looked up again, they were smiling lightly.

Then, Dean started to come to as well. “How you feeling?” Sam spoke.

“Word to the wise: don’t piss off the nerd angels” Dean grunted. Silence. “So how’s it going?”

“The angels have Adam” Brit informed us. “Where?” I asked.

“The room where they took you two”

“You sure?” Dean asked.

“Cas did a re-con” Sam said.

“And?”

“And the place is crawling with mooks…pretty much a no-shot-in-hell, hail-Mary kind of thing”

“Ah, so the usual….what are you guys going to do?”

“Well, for starters…we’re bringing you both with” Brit said as she stood and walked over to us.

“Excuse me?” Dean voiced and just stared up at her, confused. She ignored it and just unlocked our cuffs.

“There are too many of them. We can’t do it alone. And you two are pretty much the only game in town” Sam said.

“Isn’t that a bad idea?”

“Cas and Bobby think so. We’re not so sure” Brit said.

“Well, they’re right. Because either it’s a trap to get us there to make us say yes, or it’s not a trap and we’re gonna say yes anyway. And we’ll do it. Fair warning”

“No, you won’t. When push shoves, you’ll make the right call. You both will” Sam said.

“You know, if tables were turned…I’d let you rot in here. Hell, we have let you rot in here"

“Yeah, well…I guess we’re not that smart” Brit said, simply, shrugging as she glanced at Sam. He nodded in agreement and she just looked back at us with another shrug.

“I…I don’t get it. Sam…Brittney…why are you doing this?”

Because…” Brit started as she sat down beside him and wrapped her arms around him. “You’re still our big brother and sister” she said and looked up at me.

He hesitantly hugged her back as I saw how he was being overwhelmed. Sam gave us the same look, meaning she said the words he didn’t need to say out loud. We were all silent again…but this time, it wasn’t tense or filled with pain…we were having a moment.

~~~~

“Where the hell are we?” I asked as me, Dean, Cas, Sam and Brit were walking outside some abandoned warehouse. “Van Nuys, California” Cas answered.

“Where’s the beautiful room?” Dean asked.

“In there”

“The beautiful room is in an abandoned muffler factory in Van Nuys, California?”

“Where’d you think it was?”

“I don’t know. Jupiter? A blade of grass? Not Van Nuys

“Tell me again why you don’t just grab Adam and shazam the hell out of there” Sam said.

“Because there are at least five angels in there”

“So? You’re fast” I noted.

“They’re faster” he answered and took off his tie to wrap it around his palm. “I’ll clear them out. You four grab the boy. This is our only chance”

“Hold on a sec. you’re gonna take on five angels?” I asked, incredulous as we reached a door.

“Yes”

“Isn’t that suicide?” Dean questioned, sarcastically since we all knew the answer.

“Maybe it is. But then I won’t have to watch you two fail” he said and honestly, those words really hurt, coming from Cas. "I’m sorry. I don’t have the same faith in you that Sam and Brittney do” he added. My eyes went sad as I stared at him and he held his eyes on mine. He had his own plan.

I listened carefully as I heard Cas fighting off the other angels inside me…and I wanted nothing more than just to run in and help him…but I did trust that he knew what he was doing. Then, I heard multiple yells and I felt Cas’ presence was distant. I started to open the door slowly and peeked in. No one was around. We all snuck in, cautiously and headed over to a small shack in the middle of the warehouse. Dean and I headed on inside and we were now in the angel green room that Dean and I were in last time Zachariah wanted to talk to us…which was when Lucifer had risen.

Adam was on the floor against the wall on the other side of the room with blood stains going down the sides of his mouth. Dean raced to his side as I was doing my best to sense out Zachariah.

“You came for me” Adam said, weakly. “Yeah, well, you’re family” Dean replied, helping him to his feet.

“Dean, it’s a trap”

“I figured”

“Guys, we have to…” I started as I spun around quickly but came face to face with Zachariah. I jumped back and glared at him.

“Dean, Melissa, please. Did you really think it would be that easy?”

“Did you?” we countered.

Then, Sam came rushing forward with the angel-killing sword but Zachariah spun round and threw Sam back. He flew into Brittney and they both flew into the wall, crumbling to the floor. I clenched my jaw.

“You know what I’ve learned from this experience, guys? Patience” he said and waved his hand so Adam fell to the floor and started to cough up some blood.

I tried to help Dean keep him up but he just continued to cough so we carefully lowered him to his knees so he wouldn’t hurt himself. “Adam?” Dean tried to help but what could he do, really?

“Let him go you son of a bitch” I spat.

“I mean, I thought I was downsized for sure. And for us, a firing...pretty damn literal. But I should have trusted the boss man. It's all playing out like he said...you two, me, your hemorrhaging brothers and sister” he said and twisted his fist.

I saw Sam and Brit start to cough up blood as well. “You're finally ready, right? You know there's no other choice. There’s never been a choice”

“Stop it. Stop it, right now” I pleaded. I could barely find power in my voice though.

“In exchange for what?”

“Damn it, Zachariah. Stop it, please…” Dean begged.

“We’ll do it” we both said.

We didn’t even look at each other. I was afraid I was going to break down…I wouldn’t dare look over at Sam and Brittney. “I’m sorry. What was that?”

“Yes…the answer is yes” Dean said.

He eyed him, then looked at me. I nodded slightly as the tears were threatening me. I couldn’t find my voice…couldn’t process sounds…couldn’t feel my hands or my legs…I could barely see anything…and then a thought occurred to me…another idea.

“Okay? You hear us? Call Michael down, you bastard!” I yelled and my voice cracked. “How do I know you’re not lying?” he asked, cautiously.

“Do we look like we’re lying?” Dean asked.

Zachariah began to smile with excitement. I looked up at Dean as he looked back at me and our facial expressions didn’t change…we both looked helpless and lost and like we had no other choice…but as I just stared into his eyes and he stared into mine…we had a plan.

Zachariah spun around and began to speak in Enochian. I looked over at the angel-killing knife that Sam was yielding and I focused on it. It disappeared from its spot and appeared in my hand. I stuck it in the back of my jeans.

“…he’s coming” he whispered as the whole room started to shake

Dean and I looked over at Sam and Brittney as they stared back at us, confused but with tints of pain and disappointment. Then, I started to smirk and Dean winked at them. “Of course…we do have a few conditions” I spoke up and he turned around to look at us.

“What?”

“The few people whose safety you have to guarantee before we say yes” Dean said.

“Sure, fine. Make a list”

“But most of all…” I started. “Michael can’t have us until he disintegrates you” Dean said, venomously.

It seemed like Zachariah had to do a double take, as if he didn’t hear what Dean had said. “What did you say?” he took a few steps toward us.

“You know what he said…before Michael gets one piece of this sweet ass and his…he has to turn you into a piece of charcoal” I folded my arms.

“You really think Michael’s gonna go for that?”

“Who’s more important to him now? You…or us?” Dean questioned, rhetorically.

Then, he shot forward to hold us both up against the wall by our necks. I felt some air leave my lungs quickly as I reached behind me at the same time but I stayed un-phased

“You listen to me. The two of you are nothing but a maggot inside a worm’s ass. Do you know who I am…after I deliver you to Michael?”

“Expendable”

“Michael’s not gonna kill me

“Maybe not”

“But, I am” I grunted and thrusted the long knife up into Zachariah’s throat.

Dean got a free arm and jammed it even further up. We pulled it out so he fell to the floor and Dean raced to Adam’s side as I raced to Brit and Sam.

I helped them both get up as the piercing noise was getting louder and louder as the room was shaking more and more…letting us know that Michael was almost here. Then, I went over to Adam and Dean.

“You okay?” I asked Adam.

“Yea…”

“Okay, come on” I said quickly and we all rushed for the door.

After I made it out, behind Sam and Brittney, I spun to see Dean make it out as well…but Adam didn’t. The door slammed shut before he could make it out.

“Damn it!” I cursed as I lunged forward to try and break the door down. It didn’t budge.

“No! Dean! Help! It won’t open!” he was calling to us.

“Adam! Just hold on! We’ll get you out!” I yelled over the noise.

Dean went to grab the doorknob but he got burned and ripped his hand away. “Adam! Can you hear me?!” Dean yelled.

I gripped the doorknob with two hands and tried to ignore the pain as I was trying so hard to just get the door open. But, I couldn’t do it and I flew backwards, off my feet, onto my back as I felt the nerves on my hands burn off. Sam and Brit helped me up…then there was a silence. Dean attempted to get in again and this time he did…but it wasn’t the angel green room anymore. Just an abandoned office.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It was dark again and we were all in Bobby’s pickup truck, heading back to his place. The guys were in the front with Brit and I sitting in the back. She just got done bandaging my hands. “You think Adam’s okay?” she asked.

“Doubt it” Dean and I both answered. “Cas either. But we’ll get em” Dean said.

Some more silence. “So…” Sam started. “So what?” I asked.

“We saw it in both of your eyes. You guys were totally rockin’ the ‘yes’ back there”

“Yea, what changed your minds?” Brit asked, leaning forward, sitting more in the middle, now.

Dean’s eyes went to the rearview mirror to look at me. I just smiled. “Honestly? The damnedest thing. I mean, the world’s ending. The walls are coming down on us, and I look over to you guys and all I can think about is, ‘these stupid sons of a bitches brought us here’…” he laughed lightly.

“Then, I look at Mel, see she’s thinking the same thing…I just didn’t want to let any of you down”

“You didn’t” Brit said gently. “You almost did. But you didn’t” Sam smiled.

“We owe you an apology” I spoke as I slid next to her so we were both leaning forward, in the middle. “No, you don’t…” Brit said.

“Yes. We do…I do…” Dean said and then looked at Sam, letting him know, he was just talking to him. “I don't know if it's being a big brother or what, but to me, you've always been this snot-nosed kid that I've had to keep on the straight and narrow. I think we both know that that's not you anymore…” he stopped, trying to find his words.

“You both have grown up so much…you found faith in us when we couldn’t…so the least we can do is return the favor” I said but looked at Dean in the rearview mirror, questioning weather or not those were the words he was looking for.

He nodded slightly. “Right…so screw destiny, right in the face. I say we take the fight to them, and do it our way” he finished and looked at all of us, then back at the road.

I looked at Brit and smiled as she smiled back at me. Sam looked at us as well and we all just spoke without saying anything. “Sounds good” we all voiced.

Believe it or not…I think we were a team again…or the closest thing to it…but ya know what? I’ll take it.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?
like? dislike? not sure?

<<333