Casimir Pulaski Day

We lift our hands and pray over your body

I sat down with Finn beside and me and looked at the priest. He sighed and brought his bible over to where we were sitting.
“I would just like for you to pray for me just this once….I know it’s hard to do but…I feel like I need this
Harry.”
Harry was the town priest and was well known for his good deeds and kind heart. But I knew him to be stingy and grumpy. I never understood what people saw in the man.

My hands had a clammy cold feeling to them and I tried sticking them underneath my armpits to make them warmer but it didn’t work.
Harry sighed again and opened his book. I turned to look at Finn who was waiting patiently. As Harry opened the bible, Finn took my hand. I smiled slightly and listened to the prayer.

The sun lit up the old church house and I breathed slowly, letting mother earth heal me. As I had lain in my bed the night before, I had decided I was coming to the church. I knew my mother would have wanted it and it comforted me to know that maybe when I got up to heaven, god would at least know who I was. At this point, that was all I could ask for. I had never been a god-fearing individual but I distinctly remember my mother telling me that having something to believe in was sometimes the only thing that kept you going. And that was what made me come today. I didn’t regret it in the least. If Finn hadn’t of come I probably would have liked it a lot less but it felt healing to redeem my soul, even if Harry was a grumpy old man.

The prayer finished and Harry closed his bible and looked up at me. I stood and so did Finn. Finn touched Harry’s shoulder and said
“Thank you…” Harry nodded solemnly and then glanced at me. I waved goodbye as we walked back out the door, hand in hand.

“Thanks for coming Finn.” I said as soon as we got out. Finn turned to look at me and smiled a boyish smile.
“It actually wasn’t that bad.” I chuckled slightly.
“Yeah besides having to stare at Harry’s ridiculously long gray nose hairs” That made Finn laugh and we began the walk home.

We were headed to Michael’s tomorrow, and I was excited. It had been a while since I had been out and about and I was ready to restart my life. A huge part of my subconscious mind wanted to pretend that everything had been a dream and that I could forget it and move on with my life. But once again, as always I knew that I couldn’t. It was some horrible depressing mind cycle. And I was done with it. So I was decidedly going to go see Michael’s band play with Finn and hopefully not see Jessica there.