Status: Fin.

Mythical Beings & Mystical Feelings

Allia Accalia

I ran.

I protected.

And I fought.

This was the lifestyle I adopted. No... this was the lifestyle that was forced upon me. I, however, didn’t want this new and foreign way of living, it didn’t feel right. I didn’t have much of a choice though, ever since what had happened all those years ago.

It was not just something that I had to do—it was an obligation.

And in all seriousness, it was a duty, it was a job. I had a responsibility to keep them safe—the humans, I mean—from the…

Vampires. I thought, sniffing the air that surrounded me. I shifted my weight around on my four paws and crouched down into a position where I could easily run in a second.

Once I heard a twig snap, I went darting off towards it. My heart pounded wildly in my chest and my adrenaline rush made me pick up my pace. The crunching leaves felt good against my feet and the wind going through my fur made me feel the sensation of flying.

The scent was strong now—it was far too sweet and made me want to suffocate myself. I saw a flash and I knew it was him. It was the man who attacked the girl mercilessly with the intent of dining on her blood. The damned, filthy leech.

He looked back and smirked at me, exposing his elongated and pearly white fangs. His black hair flew wildly in the wind and his red eyes looked cold and vicious.

I went nuts at his taunting and my speed increased greatly, my feet barely touching the floor as I ran.

Suddenly… he came to an abrupt halt, flashing me a smile of victory as the scene around me began to change, shifting into a different world.

No…! Not again! I thought in despair as the hard, dry dirt floor beneath my feet became more soft and slippery—muddy. I can’t let him get away! I have to kill him and avenge her!

Thunder claps went off all around me and he was gone from sight. It was then total downpour among my new environment. Large, tall trees surrounded me and dark clouds were above me.

Damn it…

I started to walk in a random direction, hoping it would lead me to someplace where I could get a good night’s rest away from the rain, and kept my guard up as I walked. I didn’t know this land, this new territory, and this could’ve been swarming with bloodsuckers.

I had walked at least five miles before I smelt something that didn’t sit well with me in the least. My nostrils flared and I felt my claws extend as my natural instincts took over. I crouched down closer to the floor and stealthily moved closer towards the smell.

In the distance, I heard growling and then a snarl ripped out as I heard a fight commence between what I suspected to be another shape shifter and the vampire. I was taken by surprise. It was rare to find another shape shifter, though I had seen my fair share due to my many years on this planet, but for the most part, I traveled alone.

I ran towards the fight, using my sensitive hearing to guide me. I jumped over fallen logs, dodged trees and their many branches that jutted out from their sides, and tried to keep myself as quiet as I could so I could keep the element of surprise on my side.

The stench the bloodsucker emitted made me want to choke myself, and then I jumped into the clearing. A large, light gray wolf jumped onto the leech and began to thrash the creature around. It looked like it had everything under of control.

Maybe I should just go… I thought.

The bloodsucker than tossed the wolf off and she landed against a tree. It shook violently, but didn’t fall down. The wolf got back up and tried again for the monster. The vampire backhanded the animal and backwards into yet another tree. I heard a sickening snap, but I knew it wasn’t from the tree.

The wolf didn’t get up this time, and I knew leaving was now out of the question in definitely. I snarled and attacked him from behind. He yelled and hissed in surprise and anger, attempting to get me off his back. I dug my claws deep into his arms and I snapped and bit at his head and neck. I guess that I was venting from losing the damn bloodsucker from before…

The damn leech…

I jumped off him and he fell to the ground. I got on top of him and then ripped off an arm with my strong teeth and he growled and hissed at me. I raised a paw and then struck him, slashing his face with my long, hard nails.

I decided that this was taking much too long, and decided to end it right there by biting at his head, and wiggling it away from his neck and the rest of his body, beheading him. His movements ceased and I chewed him to bits and pieces to make sure that he would stay that way—dead.

I looked over at the werewolf that was conscious, but was slowly slipping away. Suddenly, she changed and reverted back into her human form in the nude. I averted my eyes from her private parts to give her the privacy she needed, and I knelt down beside her. She used the last of her strength to climb onto my back, and then pointed.

“Please… go that way…” She muttered. “La Push…” With that, she fell into an unconscious state, and I began to dash in the direction she pointed out.

Within a good ten minutes, I came to an area where I felt the presence and smelt the scents of other shape shifters and people. I slowed my running down to a mild jog, and listened for any sound.

A low growl was heard in the distance and I stopped walking.

Figures jumped out from the trees and bushes, and I was surrounded by an entire pack of Kentucky Derby-sized wolves. They growled viciously at me once noticing I carried one of their mates on my back while looking incredibly harmed.

They began to advance on me and then the girl regained consciousness right in time.

“Stop it, Sam.” She mumbled. “She saved me.”

The black, and largest, wolf of them—possibly the Alpha of the pack, loosened up his stance and let his guard down. The others did as he did and stopped their growling, though they were still on edge about my presence.

He went behind some trees and reappeared with denim shorts. He was tall, muscular and tan, much like many of the other few shape shifters I had come into contact with, and his eyes held a sort of dominance to them. The rain that fell and collided with his skin turned into steam, making a soft sizzling sound.

“My name is Sam Uley, alpha of this pack.” He said. “Come with us.”

I gave a slight nod of the head and he went back behind the tree, returning back to his wolf form. A few of the other wolves walked with me, surrounding me to make sure I wouldn’t try to escape or run away from them.

I was led to a cabin that was a bit more secluded from the rest of the small town. A woman came out with an umbrella to shield her from the rain and smiled, but frowned once seeing the girl was upon my back. She rushed back inside and returned back outside with a large white towel and threw it upon the girl. The man named Sam scooped the girl into his arms and carried her inside with an emotionless face. He came back out with a shirt and a pair of denim shorts.

“Here,” He put them onto my back. “Shift and get dressed.”

I walked behind a few trees and then looked at the clothes. They obviously thought I was a boy by giving my tattered and holey shorts and a black shirt that read “Bro’s B4 Hoe’s”.

Guys… so predictable… I thought with a roll of the eyes.

I shifted back into my human form and lost my balance, falling back onto the tree for support. I hadn’t been on my feet in years. I dusted myself free of the dirt, and then slipped into the clothes, the fabric feeling odd and unusual on my skin. I felt a bit constricted actually and incredibly uncomfortable. I ran my hand through my dark brown, wavy hair a few times and patted it down a few times to make it seem more tamed than it actually was, the rain wasn’t helping and was making it frizzy and more wild.

I took a deep breath to prepare myself, and I walked out from behind the trees and into the clearing. The fully clothed guys that were waiting for me, once seeing that I was in fact a girl, gawked and stared in shock.

One smirked, and whistled, walking over to me smoothly. “Hey babe,” He greeted. “Name’s Paul Reece, wanna go out sometime?”

“Not if my life depended on it,” I replied curtly.

He looked shocked at my blunt and rather rude reply, and the guys behind him began to howl with laughter—no pun intended. He growled and began to vibrate angrily. Was he really going to loose it over a stupid rejection?

“Paul!” Sam’s voice roared. “Calm down.” He ordered, and his attention turned to me. “Come inside, we’ll talk there. It’s more private.”

I nodded and I walked smoothly into the household. The woman who had brought out the blanket for the injured girl, smiled at me warmly as to welcome me into her home.

I returned the small smile and she guided me to the dining room table. “Would you like a glass of water?” She inquired kindly.

“If I may…?”

Her smile grew and then disappeared, reappearing with a tall glass of clear liquid. My mouth began to salivate with the want for the item and I greedily took it into my grasp, drinking it all in a few seconds.

“Would you like some more?” She asked with a small laugh.

“Please,” I blushed with embarrassment.

She took the glass back into the kitchen to refill my cup, and I was left with the guys. The female who was injured was lying on the couch, her black hair visible from the dining room. Sam turned to me, preferring to stand while the others sat at the table alongside me, and began his interrogation.

“What is your name?” He asked.

“My name is Allia Accalia.”