Status: Fin.

Mythical Beings & Mystical Feelings

Wasn't Him

“Carlisle, will she be alright…?”A familiar voice rang out.

I thought about it and I knew it was him. Embry…

“I’m not sure, there’s a chance, but it’s too early to tell.” He sighed out, obviously aggravated and tired. “I’m thankful we were able to stop the bleeding, however.”

“She was right, Devin’s tricky.” Sam said, irritated that he admitted I was right. Possibly more irritated at the fact he wouldn’t be a quickie to kill like the other vampires that would pass through La Push.

“I’m going to kill that son of a bitch for what he did to her.” Embry growled lowly.

“Calm down, dude,” Quil told his friend. “I’m sure she’ll make it. When she’s better we’ll all go after that damn asswipe.”

“Yea, so save your energy for later.” Jared added.

I shakily used my arms and began to prop myself on them, my eyes slowly opening to see most of the pack—Jacob being the only one absent—and Carlisle standing there in a circle, still conversing.

Embry looked over, saw me and smiled. “Allia!” He shouted with enthusiasm.

Carlisle quickly turned and saw me as I tried to sit up straight. “No, no, no, Allia, don’t move.” He urged quickly, and stopped me from moving any further. He placed me sitting upright himself and I thanked him quietly. “You’re far too weak to do any sort of activity right now.”

I looked down and noticed I was wearing clothes. “Who changed me…?” I asked softly.

He gave a weak smile. “Alice did as I was stopping the bleeding.” He explained.

“Thank you,” I uttered, finally realizing that he was right when even talking was a challenge for me to overcome. “Can you explain what happened…?”

Carlisle nodded and began to tell his side of the story. “Alice and I were hunting when we heard a sort of commotion in the distance. We heard a hiss and heard you growling, and so we went towards you to find out what was happening. We suddenly smelt blood and when we got there we found you lying on the ground unconscious, your jugular was ripped open. We quickly brought you here and I began to treat you. Thankfully we were able to stop the bleeding before you completely bled out, but it was definitely a close call.” He pointed towards a stack of empty plastic bags and I recognized the strong smell. “I’ve been giving you blood transfusions to get your levels back to normal and I believe they’re working.”

“Thank you Carlisle,” Sam said. “for saving her.”

“I was glad to help.” He responded and put a hand onto my shoulder. “If you need anything, please don’t be hesitant to ask.”

“Sure thing, Carlisle,” I nodded.

He gave a quick, reassuring smile as if to say that I had nothing to worry about, and walked out of the room, leaving me alone with the pack.

“So how are you feeling, Ali?” Embry questioned, walking over to me quickly and putting a warm hand on my shoulder.

“Crappy, but it could be worse so, I’m not complaining.”

“What happened, Allia?” Sam question.

“Well, after he used his ability on you, he ran and I chased after him. We got to the border and we got into it. I was able to maul his arm, but he ran at me and cut me up. I blacked out a few seconds later, and that’s all I know.” I explained. “Where did he transport you all to? He said he transported you home, but—”

Paul scoffed. “Yea right, that damned leech sent us to the Canadian border.” He growled. “Well, all except Seth.” He said.

“Hey, where did he send you anyways, Seth?” Jared asked.

He grumbled lowly, obviously mad, but soon gave a reply. “The dog store…”

Everyone burst out with a booming laughter, though I tried not to. I didn’t want to do anything that might hurt my throat. Sure enough, even with a few light chuckles, there was a slight searing pain in my esophagus, like someone was giving me small paper cuts everywhere. I coughed and Embry began to pat my back softly.

“You okay?” He asked.

“Yea, I’m fine,” I responded, and gave a small reassuring smile.

“We’re going to head back to the reservation now.” Sam declared. “We’ll try and find that bloodsucker, see if he left a trail. Jacob will stay here and when you can leave he’ll bring you back.”

“Alright,” I nodded. “Good luck.”

They all walked out, but Embry remained with me. He smiled and reached inside his pocket, pulling out a small folded piece of shiny paper. “Here,” He grabbed my hand, placed it into my palm, and closed fingers over it. “I thought you would want this.”

He made a mad dash out of the room and I heard the front door slam shut downstairs. I opened it up and saw the picture of Elizabeth and me, most of the mud and dirt gone except for a few stains. My lips curved upwards and I looked out a window seeing the familiar gray wolf with black spots sitting pretty on the dirt floor.

“Thank you, Embry!” I shouted, and smiled down at the friendly animal.

He replied with a wolfish grin and a long and pleased howl before racing into the woods, following the pack.

I relaxed back into the sheets and pillows on the bed, soon falling asleep, grasping the picture tightly within my grasp, holding it to my chest with a deep urgency…

-{}-

“Allia, time to wake up.”

I woke to see a pale faced Carlisle hovering above me with one of his delightful and caring smiles.

“Hey, Carlisle…” I mumbled, still groggy and getting my senses to fully awaken.

“Hello, Allia, how was your nap?”

“Great,” I yawned out, looking over at the doctor. “I feel much better.”

“That’s good,” He nodded. “I’m going to take your vitals, see how you’re doing, alright?”
I nodded and sat up in bed. He then got out his needed supplies and checked my temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate.

He gave a pleased sigh. “Everything is normal, you’re completely fine.” He stated. “You can leave whenever you’d like, Jacob is just putting little Renesmee to rest in her room. I’ll have him come up here to help you downstairs.”

He walked out of the room and I slowly began to pull myself out of the comfortable bed, which I most definitely did not want to do. I pushed the blankets off of me and then shoved myself from the bed and onto the floor. Grabbing the sheets and blankets, I began to make the bed, not wanting to leave it alone for them to do themselves.

“Hey, need help?” I turned to see Jacob in the door frame, leaning up against it comfortably.

“Please…?” I gave a weak smile and he nodded as he walked over to my side.

The two of us began to flatten out the blankets neatly on the bed and fluffed the pillows. I was taking my time, wanting to stay here with him as long as possible.

We finished a few minutes later and soon we were walking down the hallway.

“Jacob…?” A quiet voice whispered.

We both turned to see a small girl who stood in the doorway, looking lonely and vulnerable. She had dazzling green eyes with specs of hazel mixed in, fair, light skin, and long, straight chestnut brown hair.

I realized it was Renesmee…

I realized it was my so-called “competition”…

“Renesmee, you’re supposed to be asleep,” He cooed softly, smiling down at the girl with an emotion in his eyes that he had never shown me before—love.

I grew jealous. I grew lonely. Most importantly, I grew to realize that my feelings towards him were, in fact, all for not. I would never be able to compare to this young girl. Not in his mind, at least…

“C’mon,” He said with a grunt as he picked her up, kissing her cheek lovingly. “I’ll put you back to bed.” He walked towards her door and stopped, looking back at me. “You can wait for me in the car; I’ll only be a few minutes.”

“Alright, take your time.” I said, pushing the last few words out with force.

I walked downstairs and said my goodbyes to everyone before heading outside. It was warm inside the house—perhaps a bit too warm, and so as the chilled air grazed my body gently, I felt relaxed. The pine smell greeted me and it was like I was breathing for the first time, it had never smelled so sweet before.

After taking in the ambiance, I walked over to Jacob’s Rabbit, getting into the passenger seat and waiting patiently.

Ten minutes passed, twenty minutes had passed, thirty minutes had passed… soon a complete hour had gone by.

Why am I still sitting here like a pathetic loser…? I questioned myself. No matter how much you want him to, no matter how much time you give him, you know that he won’t come out—not for you. Not when Renesmee’s involved.

Sighing, I got out of the car and walked towards the woods. I heard their laughter and I walked faster. My heart was slowly breaking…

You don’t need an imprint. You don’t need Jacob Black. I told myself repeatedly. Being alone isn’t as bad as they say…

-{}-

The surroundings seemed familiar now, and I knew I was back on the La Push reservation. I heard twigs snapping and leaves rustling, someone was coming.

There was a whine and I turned to see Embry’s familiar coat of fur.

I smiled and walked over, meeting him halfway. “Hey Embry,” I said, and petted his silky fur.

He nudged me in the side with his head and he walked away, most likely shifting. I found I was right as he walked out, wearing his usual denim shorts.

“What are you doing out here, Allia?” He asked. “It’s late and way too dangerous in your condition.”

“Well, Carlisle said I was fine.” I shrugged, and crossed my arms across my chest, getting extremely cold. “Besides, I was going to head home right now.”

“Jacob didn’t bring you, did he…?”

“He forgot about me, but it’s alright, I like to walk. It gives me time to think.” I played it off as if it were nothing.

“Allia,” He stared me down and saw through my lie. He pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back. “That idiot…” He mumbled. “I swear to God, he needs to get his priorities straight.”

“They are straight, Embry. Renesmee’s his imprint, so she’ll always be first. I’m just not that important.”

I felt his chest rumble as a low growl formed in his throat. “Don’t say that, Lee, you’re important.” He retorted. “Jacob’s too ignorant.”

“Are you patrolling right now?” I asked.

“No, I just finished. I was heading back when I picked up your scent and I came to look for you.”

“Oh, well, thank you.” I hugged him tighter and we let go of each other. “Do you wanna just sit here? I don’t feel like going back home right now…”

“Sure, just not for too long,” He replied as we both sat down onto the ground, leaning up against a tree.

“Embry, do you want to know anything?” I inquired. “I know you have to be curious about what Devin said earlier.”

“I am, but only if you want to talk about it. If you don’t it’s fine, I can understand.”

“No, I wanna tell you.” I said, and I got comfortable leaning into his chest. “It was during the first world war. My mom had died a few years before and I was officially alone in the world. One day I was shot by poachers and was able to get away. It started raining not too long after and I collapsed from exhaustion. I must’ve changed back because when I woke up I was in a home with new clothes. The people who had brought me there were named Heike and Elizabeth Unschuld. Heike was Elizabeth’s mother and they told me to stay with them while I recuperated.”

“That was nice of them,” Embry commented.

“Yea, it was.” I nodded. “So once I was better, I ended up not leaving. Elizabeth and I had gotten to know each other really well and were best friends. I rejected Devin one time and he left—he didn’t come back for a few weeks. Elizabeth and I were in the woods and he showed up. I didn’t realize it at the time, but Devin was a vampire, he had changed during his absence. We fought and during the fight, Elizabeth had gotten hurt. She died later that night after I brought her home.” I sighed out shakily and tried to relax into Embry. “Sorry, I’ve never told anyone about this before.”

“Consider me honored than,” He joked, and pulled me into a hug. “Allia, you’re like my little sister. Remember that you can always tell me anything and I promise not to let the others in on it if you don’t want them to know.”

“Thanks Embry, you’re like my older brother,” I laughed. “even if I am older than you. And the same goes for me, you can tell me anything.”

“C’mon, my gut’s just telling me that Sam’s wondering where we are.” Embry said, standing up and helping me up as well. “Let’s go before they send out some sort of search party or something.”

“Well, at least your gut can tell you something that isn’t just about eating food.” I mumbled, earning a fake gasp as Embry began to tousle my hair wildly. “You’re so spastic!” I shouted through my laughter.

He scoffed, acting insulted. “You’re only jealous.” He said, walking in front of me, hips swaying.

“You’re so weird…” I mumbled, rolling my eyes with a small smile.

I ran up to him and jumped on his back, catching him off guard. “Go!”

“I’m not a dog ready to be given orders!”

“That can be debated.”

“Shut up, Ali!” He laughed out.

He grabbed my thighs to make sure I didn’t fall off his back and began to walk forward, heading back home.

At least I knew I could always count on someone… even if that someone wasn’t him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't know this until like two days ago, but this girl is going to be playing Renesmee in the movie, Breaking Dawn.

Image

Anyways, for me, school starts up tomorrow, so updates will sadly not be as frequent. :'(
I'm sorry about this one not being as long as the others, but I wanted to give you all something to just kind of hold you over till the weekend when I can (hopefully) update again.
I'd like to thank you all for reading and for being gracious with your comments.
THANK YOU!

Oh yes, and Happy New Year! I hope 2011 is filled with love, family and friends and a lot of great memories! :D