Everybody Has a Reason

Drunken Mishap

Days turned to weeks, and the weeks turned to months.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly, hardly ever any glitches. 3 full months together, and completely in love. It was now early October. And the sun had hardly ever showed over the summer, but now it was seriously cold.

Lila was waiting patiently outside her house, Conner was meant to come pick her up about ten minutes ago. She waited, dismissing any thoughts.

Minutes. Turned to an hour. An hour…turned to several hours. Conner was never late. Ever. Lila had already gone back into the house, and called, text Conner repeatedly. She was worried, what if something had happened to him?

It soon hit the evening, Maria was sitting beside Lila waiting for any news. Lila even went round to Conner’s house, but no one knew where he was, Buttercup was missing.

It was then, at half eight. She heard the sweet sound of a door slam outside. Lila rushed to the front window and looked out, the porch lights were on and she see Buttercup’s fading yellow colour. Conner was back.

Grabbing her coat, Lila rushed out and ran down the hill, to where Conner had parked. He was getting his guitar out the boot and picking up a plastic bag full of bottles, beer bottles.

“Conner!” calls Lila, slowing her pace, crossing her arms to keep herself warm and to show Conner she wasn’t best pleased. Scratch that, she was furious.

Conner slammed the car boot and turned around slowly, as Lila neared she saw Conner’s face looked different somehow, pale, tired looking and his eyes slightly red.

“Conner?” she asks unsure. Conner stumbled slightly, leaning back against the car. It dawned on her that Conner was in fact drunk, completely.

“What!” he spits coldly, the smell of beer flowing to her. She scrunched up her nose and looked at him.

“Where have you been? I’ve been worried sick Conner. You didn’t even ring me” Lila says honestly, but she was mad after all.

Conner rolled his eyes, and stood up unstably. “Well, sorry for not wanting to talk to you!” he snaps harshly and Lila’s heart broke slightly, hurt welled inside her.

“Conner, we arranged a date today. You never forget usually…” she says unsure but she never got to finish as Conner exploded.

“Why does everything have to be about you Lila! Can’t I have one day to myself!” he shouts and it was so loud that the front door of Conner’s house opened, letting more light out; The figure of Maggie and Paddy appeared.

“Conner?” Paddy calls.

Conner scoffs “Conner” he mocks, laughing bitterly. Lila knew it was the alcohol but the words still hurt her.

“I’m sorry” Lila whimpers, feeling guilty suddenly.

“Sorry isn’t going to help me! My Dad died today Lila! He died four years ago to this very day! And I’m SO SORRY if I don’t want to take you out for the day when my dad had died on this very FUCKING DAY!” Conner shouted at random points, dropping the bags and guitar with a loud clunk. Paddy ran down the path and saw Lila’s hurt, upset face.

“Conner! Where’ve you been! Ma’s been worried. You can’t just disappear for the day” Paddy says sternly.

“I’ve been to dad’s grave! Where else you bastard! He died Paddy!” Conner yells, shoving Paddy. Paddy looked furious but remained still.

“Conner, I’m sorry. I’m sorry about your dad. I didn’t mean to make this all about me” Lila says suddenly, trying to ease the situation.

Conner stared at her blankly, his green eyes reflecting the booze he had consumed.

“But it is about you. Every moment of my life is about you!” Conner yells angrily, Lila didn’t know how to take it. Paddy saw the lash of hurt again and gritted his teeth.

“Conner, get inside now.” Paddy orders. Conner scoffs and steps away, like a indignant child.

“GET INSIDE NOW!” Paddy screams, his limit pushed. He grabbed Conner’s arm and pushed him forward.

“You’re a bastard for doing this to us” he says coldly. Conner shouted back profanities but Lila couldn’t understand them as the tears fell from her eyes, her mind spinning. Where was the Conner she loved?

Maggie came down the pathway, looking sad and ashamed.

“I’m sorry Lilly. He didn’t mean it.” she says softly, crossing her arms, as the harsh air blew against her.

Lily nodded, wiping her cheeks and controlled herself, sniffing occasionally.

“It’s fine” she insists meekly.
Maggie sighs and steps forward “His Dad died when he was 14, it was a huge blow to all of us. He had lung cancer. He died today, he didn’t make the operation. Conner took the worst, as he and his Dad had a very tight bond. Conner isn’t perfect Lila. We all make mistakes” Maggie says and Lila stepped forward and hugged her. Maggie returned it and sniffled slightly.

“I do miss him. He was the love of my life since I was 15. It was his time to go you know? I accept that now, but Conner…” she paused.

“Conner can’t” she finishes, wiping her eyes with her sleeve.

“I understand” Lila whispers, and she patted Maggie’s back. Maggie smiled gently.

“You’re a good girl Lila. Please don’t let Conner’s drunken mishap ruin that for you two. Just let him sleep it off, he’ll be begging for mercy tomorrow morning” Maggie says kindly and Lila nodded, feeling better.

Lila glanced over her shoulder, seeing Maria waiting for her at the gate curiously.

“I better go Maggie. It’s getting late” Lila says suddenly. Maggie nodded and stepped away, walking to the gate again.

“Goodnight Lila” she says warmly. Lila smiled hopefully at her.
“Night Maggie” she returns and makes her way back up the hill, hoping that Maggie was right about Conner.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't updated, I haven't been getting much feedback for this, so I'm seriously considering of deleting it.

This may be the last chapter...
<3