Everybody Has a Reason

Hello Dublin

The rumbling of trains rushed by her, as Lila heard her gate being called.

“GATE 43, TO DUBLIN, IRELAND” shouts the Ticket Collector. Lila put her travel bag down, her roll-on suitcase was in Stanley’s hand.

“This is it” says Lila quietly, turning around, seeing the sad faces of her grandparents.

“I’m going to miss you Lilly” sniffles Genevieve, using Lila’s nickname and rushed forward and hugged her tightly. Lila wanted to be strong and not show any emotion, but couldn’t help it as she hugged Genevieve tightly back, almost regretting her decision to leave.

“I love you Eve, we’ll talk on the phone. I promise” says Lila honestly. Genevieve tried to control herself, and contained her hysteria. “I’m sorry” sniffs Genevieve, wiping her eyes with her tissue. Stanley smiled weakly, he was going to miss Lila terribly.

“Be safe Lilly” warns Stanley. Lila hugged her Grandfather tightly, breathing his homely smell of spicy cigars and old worn leather. After a last call, Lila finally let go and stepped back, controlling her tears.

“Call us when you get there” whispers Genevieve, dabbing her eyes still. Lila nods sullenly.
“I will. I love you both” she says softly, picking up her bags, shifting her bags tightly on her shoulder. She reached the entrance of the carriage, number 43.
“Thank you Ma’am, take your seat” says the ticket collector. A old man about late fifties. Lila nodded and glanced over her shoulder, seeing her crying grandmother, in her brave grandfather’s arms.

Stanley waves calmly, whereas Genevieve waves flustered, blowing her nose at the same time.

Unable to see their pain, Lila got aboard the train, find her seat, 504. Putting her bags above her in the compartment, with help from the man nearby. She took her seat, looking out the window as where her grandparents were unmoved.

“Goodbye” mouths Lila, and they both waved again, Stanley lifting his flat cap and waving it slightly before returning it on his grey haired head. Genevieve gave a watery smile, on the verge of tears again.

“Goodbye Lila!” she shouts suddenly, and Lila heard her perfectly as the loud, long high-pitched whistle gave out, warning everyone off set off. Soon, the train jerked to life, the chugging motion and sounds. Within minutes, the train was moving further and further away from the station and Lila knew there was no going back.

---

Arriving in Dublin was probably the most hardest thing Lila had ever done. As soon as she exited the station, Lila was immediately lost in the busy streets.

Realizing, she was in fact lost and she had better find a map to get to her Aunt’s. It wasn’t actually a blood relation. Lila’s Aunt Maria was in fact her godmother, she had been a close friend of her mother’s, best friends in fact ever since the beginning of school. Maria kept in touch with the family throughout the years, Lila saw her last about 5/6 months ago at Drew’s funeral. Maria noticed the dramatic difference in her goddaughter, and offered a place for her to stay if she needed space. So here she is now.

Sighing with frustration, as Lila noticing the dark clouds looming, the sudden crack of thunder and before Lila could make another sigh, it started to pour. Rain splattered down, everyone seemed prepared and all got umbrellas, hoods up. Lila pulled her leather jacket collar upwards, as if it was a source of protection.

Running to the nearest indoors shelter, a pub, The Wooden Oak. The rumbling sound of Lila’s suitcase wheels echoed behind her as she entered the old fashion pub. Inside smelled of ale and smoking. Oddly this gave some sort of comfort to Lila as she ventured in. Their was music in the room, but Lila didn’t bother to look around for it.

Taking a seat in the nearest leather booth, shrugging off her soak jacket off and searching in her travel bag for her mobile and map.

Opening the map, which covered the whole table, she started searching for the town she was looking for. A small village about an hour away from here, the city centre.

Lila soon began getting very thirsty, it was most likely from the 5 packs of KP nuts she had on the train, but it didn’t matter, she needed a drink desperately. A waiter came over and took her order of an iced water and Lila sat and stared at the table blankly, trying to conjure up a plan to get to Little Valley Village.

Suddenly, she heard a presence in front of her, standing right by her table. Lila looked up, and saw the most gorgeous looking guy she probably ever seen. He looked about her age, 17/18. He had dark green eyes that seemed to shine almost, his skin slightly tanned and his hair was dark brown and in a ruffled style, his fringe sweeping to the left slightly, he was tall as far as Lila could see, well she was only 5ft 4. He was dressed very nicely too, in dark jeans and white shirt on, with two buttons undone at the top, revealing a nice, black cross necklace.

He gave her a smile, that made Lila feel odd inside, her stomach doing back flips continuously.

“Hi there” the boy said, a soft but noticeably Irish accent in his words. Lila found this even more charming.

She gave a small smile “Hi” she replies softly, sipping her water, the guy smiled again.

“I noticed you looking a bit lost, you moving here?” he asks, Lila was shocked that it was so obvious but nodded meekly.

“I’m moving in with my Aunt, she lives in this village called Little Valley. I have no idea how to get there” admits Lila, showing him the place. The guy looked amused and gave another charming, sexy smile.

“You’re in luck sweetheart, I happen to live there. Is your Aunt by any chance Maria?” he asks. Lila felt a bit concerned, was she being stalked?

Seeing Lila’s face amused him and chuckled lowly “Don’t worry sweetheart, I’m not stalking you, Little Valley lives up to it’s name you know. Everyone knows everyone” he explains. Lial exhales finally.

“Oh, right” she says, tucking a curl behind her ear. The guy smiles again.

“I’m Connor. Connor McGill” he introduces politely, holding out a strong hand, Lila noticed a tattoo on the inside of his wrist. It was in Irish/Gaelic so she wasn’t sure what it meant. She took his hand, and it was odd how she felt weird when her hand fitted right into his.

“I’m Lila. Lila Scott” she says quietly, braving to look at him. He gave another warm smile and Lila didn’t want to look away, she felt her own lips tug slightly into a smile.

“Lila’s a beautiful name” comments Connor, winking at her and Lila heard herself laugh slightly. He was flirting with her but instead of being irritated, she felt flattered.

“Thank you. So do you think you could help me find a taxi for Little Valley?” asks Lila suddenly feeling brave. Connor chuckles as if Lila had said something remarkably funny.
“Why would I help you find a taxi which you’d have to pay for, when I can give you a lift myself?” he teases and Lila smiles.

“Really? You’d do that?” she asks surprise as this stranger’s hospitability. Connor grinned “Course I would” he says. Lila stopped suddenly, realizing this was in fact a stranger.

“How’d I know you won’t kill me?” she asks, a light tone in her voice. Connor chuckles.

“Sweetheart, this is Ireland. If I was Mass Murderer, everyone would know” he jokes. Lila wouldn’t normally find this funny, but something tickled her inside.

“Okay then, I trust you” she says sincerely. Connor smiled
“Good, now pass my your bags. I was raised a gentlemen. My car’s around the back” he says and Lila smiled genuinely and passed him the travel bag and he always had the handle of her suitcase in his hand.

“Hold on, I just need to tell my boss” he says suddenly, and puts the bags down and disappears. Lila tucked her hair behind her ears self-consciously. Her stomach doing somersaults, her heart pounding.
“What was going on?” she thought to herself, as the mere bit of happiness was in her.

As quick as he had left, Connor appears again, picking up Lila’s bags again and motioned to follow him. Picking up her coat, Lila followed Connor outside, where it had now stopped raining. Walking literally just around the corner, to what seemed a private car park. There wasn’t many cars there, in fact there was only one that really stood out. A bright yellow, slightly discoloured Volkswagen Beetle 1972, a classic car Lila thought. 

Much to her surprise, Connor stood in front of it. “This is mine” he says proudly, rummaging in his jean pockets.

“Really?” asks Lila surprised.

“Hey now, Don’t judge Buttercup here, I know it’s old but she run’s a beauty. My brothers and I fixed it up for my 18th” he says, chuckling as if remembering the good times. Lila smiled softly.

“No, I love it. I’m just surprised. Not many people have classic cars like this” she says, glancing at the bright yellow bug.

Connor smiled, giving that charming look again “Not many have good taste either” he says, winking at her and opening the boot, and putting her bags in.

“So Buttercup? Did you give her that name?” she teases slightly. Connor grins, opening the passenger door for her.

“My brother did” he says. Lila nodded and got up gracefully, well attempted gracefully. Connor closed the door for her and went around to his side. Lila was impressed that the car was in fact very clean and tidy, it smelled of lemons from the worn air freshener, and leather.

Connor put his keys in, and the car rumbled to life, Lila noticed he smiled with satisfaction. He really did love this car. Connor pulled his seatbelt around his waist and Lila copied. He flicked on the old radio and CD Player.

“Pick a station” he offers, pulling out and Lila shyly turns to tuner to what use to be her favourite radio station: KISS.

One of Lila’s favourite songs came on The Man Who Can’t Be Moved by The Script, also one of her favourite bands. She shyly looked at Connor, worried as what he thought of her music taste.

“I love this band” he states randomly and much to her relief, Lila sighed under her breath.

“Me too” she says, staring out the window.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have reread it and I must admit, it is a sweet love story :) <3