Tour Stories

No Worries.

Something about walking down an empty street right after it rained so moving to me. My mind twisted and winded with thoughts of my future: What will I have for dinner? What will my children's names be? Do I turn out alright? That crisp breath of fresh air you take when you're all alone walking some place, it holds me down. It puts everything into perspective, even if it is for a moment. The organized mind is nice to have every so often.

I remember every school day how the bus would drop me off at the end of my street and I'd have to walk up the hill to my house. I knew that the kids on the neighboring street had their parents pick them up and drive them back home, but I didn't see the point. Also, because my parents worked and no one was home. As the fall leaves would crunch under my feet, and my iPod played softly in my ears, I felt at peace. I'd get to my house, get the mail, stuff it in my bag and drag up the trash cans. Something about the routine never fazed me. I ever saw it as an issue. I'd go inside sort through my things, check the clock, then at 3:08 on the dot I'd recollect some books and go to my neighbors to babysit until five.

Their house was so different from mine. Always chaotic, everyone running around getting ready for play dates, football or cheerleading practice. They were your average all round American family. Mine was just a bunch of insane Italians. I could never choose which I liked better: Crazy or chaotic?

That's how I felt and was thinking about while taking a walk outside the venue Allstar Weekend was playing that night. I had helped the guys unload the van and told them I'd be back soon. As I stopped to look at the view of buildings and pavement, I took a deep breath.

"Not much is it?"

I jumped out of my skin and looked with surprise to find Zach standing next to me.

He laughed to himself a little, "I'm sorry. Did I scare you?"

"I little," I said softly. How long had he been following me?

He scratched the back of his head before saying, "I guess this place is alright. I wish we could be somewhere bigger." Gleefully he looked at me. He put an arm around my shoulder and with his other made an invisible rainbow in the sky. "Imagine, rows of fans going so far back that we can't even see the back of the venue! Screaming so loud that our ears ring for hours after. Singing every word perfectly on cue." He sighed, "That'd be awesome."

His arm dropped from my shoulder, I didn't know whether to be disappointed or relieved. Through his whole vision I had to fight the urge to rest my head on his chest.

I smiled at him, "And behind you on the stage you could have a huge electric banners with Allstar Weekend flashing. And during some songs have the key lyrics glide across it."

He hopped, "Ahh! That'd be so rad!"

We smiled at each other for a moment before I looked away to hide my blush. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Zach's change a little and he leaned forward to me. He took my chin and turned it back to him. My newly organized mind was getting all jumbled up again. He's sweet smile killing me, got his other hand and rubbed my cheek with his thumb. Then he let go of my chin and took a piece of my hair that was stuck to my lip away.

"You had Nutella on your cheek."

I must have turned eight shades of red because he added, "Don't worry I just noticed, so it couldn't have been there long."

We stayed there looking at some graffiti, just chit chatting about the pros and cons to pets when Mikey came and lifted me up. I was thrown over his shoulder and carried back to the venue. As we passed some fans Zach stopped to talk to them. I heard their whispered, "Who is that?!" and "What a whore? I can't believe they have a groupie?"

Zach heard this and looked over at me. I had fallen almost limp on Michael's shoulder, too depressed by the harsh comments to smile at Zach's gaze. I looked away to hide my tear-filled eyes. Zach's head snapped back to the group of girls.

"I don't like you talking about her like that. She's not a groupie, she's our friend and tour mate. She took those pictures you've ironed on your shirts. Think twice before you say rude comments like that." He walked away then went back to them, "And another thing, she's the furthest thing from a whore. She's a freakin' wonderful person."

He stormed back to Michael and took me off his shoulder. He just looked at me for a moment. I couldn't hold it back anymore. I wrapped my arms around his ribs and hugged him tight. He did the same and rubbed my back, whispering, "Don't listen to them. They don't know what they're talking about." His head shifted and he looked at the girls again, "I hate people like that."

The moment ended with Michael coming back with Nathan. I was swung over Nathan's shoulder and Michael carried Zach back into the venue.