Sequel: Paint It Black

All I Wanted

Hot Coffee, Cigarette Smoke and Sweat

"Where do we go?" Normal asked as we entered the full lobby. 

"I don't know," we turned toward the empty hall away from the merchandise tables.

"We should've asked," Normal squeezed my hand.

"Let's just find a security guard."

We walked toward the empty hall.

We walked for a minute and bumped into a long line of girls with short skirts and cleavage baring midriffs. I couldn't believe my eyes; it was near the end of October in Illinois, it was practically snowing here.

"Is this were we meet the band?" Normal asked one girl with blond locks, like hers, and a tight, bright red dress.

"Yep," she smiled looking us and down, "good luck," she snorted.

"Bitch," I said turning us back toward the line.

We marched down it and were met with another big, buff security guard. He eyed us as we approached.

"We have backstage passes, we don't know where to go," I told him.

"Let's see 'em," he gestured to the laments.

I lifted mine, as did Normal, and he waved us through. He opened the door and let's us through. There was a chorus of whines and insults as we passed through.

Once the door was closed we walked down the long, empty corridors. At the end of it was 2 big, black doors. 

"I'm so excited!" Normal admitted as we reached the doors.

I opened one and was hit with the smell of hot coffee, cigarette smoke and sweat. I scrunched up my nose and saw 5 familiar shapes.

"Oh my wits, it's them!" Normal busted, causing them to look up.

"Hello," one of them waved, he had short black hair; the other guitarist I think.

"Hi," I mustered as Normal let go of my hand.

Her heels clicked onto the hard floor. I walked behind her; that Mikey guy gestured for us to come to the table. The room was filled with cigarette smoke, food and a big pot of coffee. There were 4 sitting tables and we sat at the one the guys were at.

"What are your names?" the lead singer, with long dark hair and a pale face, asked.

"I'm Marilyn and this is Sunny!" her soft voice introduced us.

"Cute," that Mikey guy said.

"Uh, what are your names?" I asked, oblivious to the fact that I hadn't know them.

"I'm Gerard," the pale face singer answered, "that's Ray," he pointed to the man at the end with thick curly brown hair, "Bob," a short man with blue eyes and short blond hair, "Mikey," Mikey smiled and turned to Normal, "and that's Frank," Frank waved with a cigarette hanging loosely between his fingers.

"So why the backstage passes?" I asked as Mikey and Normal scooted away from us.

"Mikey's idea," Bob explained, he didn't seem to happy to have us there.

"Oh," I shaped my mouth with my answer.

"It's cool, he likes your friend," Ray explained.

I looked over at them chatting it up like a couple. I frowned and turned back to the men.

"How old are you guys?" Gerard asked.

"18. I just turned 18 today."

"Happy Birthday," Ray and Gerard both said happily.

"Thanks," I smiled, "not how I had expected to spend it," I admitted.

"You don't like us?" Frank smirked.

"I'm not a fan, just Nor, she really likes you all," I explained.

"Nor?" Gerard asked with a raised brow.

"Short for Normal; that's what I call her," they all cocked a brow, "long story," I shrugged, "So, uh where are you guys headed next?" I asked to keep the awkward silence at a minimum.

"Back home to Jersey," Frank answered.

"A show or is the tour over?"

"The tour is over," Bob's voice was like ice. He didn't like us.

"Are you guys from around here?" Ray cut in.

"No, actually, we live in Chicago, about an hour from here," I stuffed my hands into my coat.

"Its fucking cold here," Frank stated taking a drag from his cigarette.

"Yeah, winter is a bitch," they chuckled.

"What time is it?" Ray asked standing from his seat.

I looked down at my small, digital, purple watch on my wrist; the time stated 12 am.

"Shit, we gotta go," I stood.

"What's the rush?" Frank asked.

"We have school in the morning," I looked over at Normal, "Nor, come on," I tugged at her coat.

"Just a few more minutes," Normal spoke dizzily, and never took her eyes off Mikey.

"Nor, my mom is already pissed that I missed the whole birthday dinner thing," she looked over at me.

"Please, Sunshine?" I shook my head.

"No way, come on," she frowned.

"We could always drop her off," Mikey chimed in.

"What? No," I muttered, "I'm not gonna leave you here," Normal looked up at me, her electric blue eyes begging.

"Just take my car," she tossed me her keys, "I'll tell my parents I stayed the night with you," I raised my brow.

"I'm not gonna leave you here," she and Mikey stood up.

"It's not like we're serial killers," Mikey joked.

"You never know," I answered quickly.

"Sunny, just let me stay," she bit her bottom lip.

"I can't," I mumbled.

"I'll be fine," her killer smile reassured me.

"Call me if anything happens," she cheered and hugged me tightly.

"Thank you, Sunny," I hugged back and let go.

"It was nice meeting you all," I waved to the 4 men chatting among themselves.

"Same here," they all mustered.

"I love ya," I hugged Normal again.

"I love you too, Sunny!" I shook my head and grasped the keys.

I waved bye, they both returned to talking and I walked out the double doors. I sighed when the doors latched behind me; I walked down the long hall and out the entrance doors. The groupies had all gone, even the security guard, and I followed out the lobby.

A few kids were still buying merchandise, and I walked out the venue. I looked back and tore the lament from my neck. I walked over to Normal's familiar yellow jetta and got in the driver side.

I looked at the venue and debated going back. My heart said to leave her, but my stomach churned with nervousness. I took a small breath and started the car; the Black Parade CD started to play, but I muted it quickly.

I tossed the lament in the passenger seat and backed out. I was beginning to feel upset that Normal blew me off for a guy; again. I twitched my lips and drove out of the parking lot.

*

My phone had been put in the glove box in Normal's car. I could hear it vibrate as I drove down the freeway. I didn't bother to pick it up; I knew it was my mom.

Once I got back home, I could see the living room light on; mom was awake. I sighed and parked across the street. I  grabbed my phone, locked the car, stuffed the keys in my back pocket and jogged up to my small home.

The door was unlocked, and I pushed it open. My mom was slumped, on her back, on our old couch. I chuckled as Jay Leno played softly from the tv. I tip toed to the linen closet down the hall, next to my room, and pulled out my mom's quilt.

I closed the door and went back to the living room. I laid the warm quilt across her sleeping frame, shut the tv and light off.

"Sunny, what time is it?" her small, soft voice caught me.

"1:30," I answered, defeated, "but I am going to school in the morning."

"It's alright," a warm smile filled her tired face, "how was the concert?"

"I wish I had went to dinner with you," I admitted.

"Where's Marilyn?"

"She just dropped me off," I lied.

"Okay, well goodnight, Mija," I kissed her cheek.

"'Night ma," she returned a kiss.

I walked down toward the hall to my bedroom. I turned the lamp on and pulled everything from my jeans pocket; picks, ticket stub, keys and cell. I pulled my coat off and tossed it on my desk.

I slipped out my jeans and pulled on my superman pajama pants. I grabbed my phone and pulled my covers back; I climb in and flipped the phone open.

I decided to text Normal to see if she was alright.

You OK?

A few seconds later she responded.

Okie Dokie Sunshine!

I chuckled.

Come by in the morning after mom leaves

Will do!

I closed my phone and put it on my night stand.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm thinking of changing the title of the story...