Sequel: Paint It Black

All I Wanted

Making Progress

"Okay, Sunny bend as far as you can," my fingers tingled as I tried to make them fold.
"Shoot," the sharp pain took me by surprise.

"Very good," my 'finger therapist', Fiona, encouraged.

It was a Wednesday afternoon; I was at a clinic downtown trying to fix my fingers. I had to spend 2 hours with these exercises.

"One more time," I got a little farther, and I ignored the pain.

"Ow," I cried bending them up.

"You're doing good," her small figure was, almost, getting on my nerves.

Fiona is a blond, petite, and chirpy weight trainer, and my hand therapist.

"How much longer?" I asked trying to bend them again.

"5 more minutes," she smiled warmly at me.

I wiggled my fingers to keep them from tensing. I was asked to pick up a small, red stress ball. I gripped it with my pinkie and third finger, then tried to squeezed it, the pain subsided as I dropped it.

"Great job!" I wanted to scream at her, she was too cheery for me.

"Am I finished?" I looked at my watch, now on left hand.

"Yes, Sunny," she continued to smile.

I thanked her and went outside to see that short figure I love so much. Smoke flew above him as he leaned against the wall.

"All fixed up?" he asked leaning forward.

"Yes, Frankie," I walked over and he pulled me closed to him.

His scent of nicotine was comforting, it doesn't bother me anymore. The stench of coffee was also mixed in there.

"Make any progress?" he asked as we walked toward the parking lot.

"Yep, I fought through the pain and now I can do this," I moved from him and showed him my damaged hand.

I bent it forward, almost making a fist, until the pain snapped them back.

"We should celebrate," he joked.

"Hey, my hand is only damaged because I love you and Normal too much," he pulled my body next to his, an arm over mine.

"No one told you to hit him," I rolled my eyes and watched his take a long drag.

"It was worth it."

Frank drove me home; which was still missing my mother because of the multiple accidents. He stayed over and she had caught him sleeping in bed with me; thank God we were dressed.

"I gotta do my homework," I told him as we made our way to my room.

"You're always doing homework," he whined, lying on my bed.

"Well, when you're in high school that's basically it," I took my coat off and jumped on him.

"Ugh!" he grunted and then laughed.

"I'm sorry I work so hard," I joked, he put his hands around my waist.

"I can't wait until Friday," he mumbled, I laid my head on his chest.

"Me either," I joked, "I can't wait to see what you got me," he kissed the top of my head.

"Can I just tell you?" I shook my head.

"No, I want it to be a surprise!" I whined.
-

I worked the next day and my hand seemed to be a lot better. I could grip, just a little, and it was a lot easier to stack the books. It was about 3 when I had went to the back for lunch.

"Sunny, Martin told me you broke your hand?" My boss, Grant, asked/announced.

"Uh, yeah," I turned away from the soda machine, "like last month," I showed him my hand.

"Are you okay? Why didn't you tell me?" I shrugged.

"I'm fine and I didn't think it was an issue," he frowned a bit.

"You should take 2 weeks off, I feel awful," I shook my head.

"Grant, I can't do that, I need the money," he smiled.

"With pay."

"I-I...really?" he chuckled.

"Yes, now please go, I feel horrible!" I smiled and hugged him.

"Thank you!"

It was a good thing Frank was coming in when I was going. He smiled when he spotted me.
"Hey lovely," he reached out and pulled me to him, closing the small gap between us.

"Hey," I kissed his lips, "guess what!" I said excitedly.

"What?" he turned us to leave the bookstore.

"Mr. Grant gave me 2 weeks off," he looked at me, the door closed behind us.

"Why?" he led us to his car.

"He heard about my hand and felt bad," he let me go and opened the door for me, "thanks."

I got in while he got to the other side and got in.

"At least that's cool; after tomorrow you get to relax for 2 weeks."

"Yeah, but I'm gonna miss you," I frowned at him.

He leaned over and kissed me, "Wanna get busy in the car?" I giggles when he leaned back.

"No, you pig, it's too cold!" he rolled his eyes.

"You owe me when it gets warm."
♠ ♠ ♠
Fillerish, sorry.