Sequel: Adolescent Suicide

Frank Iero, You Are My Hero

Part Nineteen

**Frank’s POV**

Three months. Three long, and horrible months. That’s how long he’s been watching Mercy go through chemotherapy. That’s how long he’s been watching her hair slowly fall out. That’s how long he’s watched her sink inside of herself, becoming more of a shell, and not the real Mercy. The smile on her face was forced. Her eyes no longer twinkled merrily when she was insulting them. She was fading before their very eyes, and he wasn’t sure if there was anything they could possibly do about it. They didn’t know what it was like to have cancer, to not ever be able to have kids. They didn’t know what it was like to have chemotherapy, to have tons and tons of medications fed into your body. They didn’t know what it was like to lose everything.

It was driving him insane. He tried everything he could to help her through this, but she would only send him that fake smile and tell him that she was okay, that she was fine. Well, she fucking wasn’t. And it seemed that he was the only one who could see it. It kept him up at all hours of the night, crying his eyes out. Didn’t she see how much this was killing him? How much she was starting to make him turn out just like her? How, he too, was becoming a shell of himself? This was effecting him just as much as her. It had felt like a part of him was ripped out of his chest when he found out their baby had died. It was a part of him that could never be retrieved. There was no pain on this earth that could ever out weight the pain he felt knowing that he would never be able to have kids with the woman he loved most, how he had lost his first child because of something he couldn’t control.

Mercy was now in remission. No more hospitals, and no more drugs. At least, for now. She would still have to come back for monthly visits, but at least she was done with the chemotherapy. But not even that little tidbit of information made her happy. She forced that smile on her face, nodded, and said ‘Thank fucking God. I’m sick and tired of this hellhole’. Even those words were cold, empty.

Frank stood outside of the hospital, huddled in a large black coat. The chilly November wind played with his long dark hair, and his hazel eyes were on the ground. Bob was inside, getting Mercy. The other guys and Sicily were in the car, pulling it around front so that Mercy didn’t have to walk far. She complained when she had to walk, griping about how weak it made her feel.

He turned when he heard the familiar whooshing noise of the hospital doors opening. Bob walked out, an arm around Mercy’s waist. She looked so pale. But then, she hadn’t really been outside in three months. She had purple bruises underneath her dim blue eyes and on top of her head was a black beanie, hiding the fact that her luscious blonde hair was no longer there. Gerard tried consoling her, telling her that she could wear a bright pink wig and get away with it, but if anything, that only made matters worse. A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips, but that was the only sign of expression on her pale face.

“Hey, Frankie. Come here,” she said quietly, holding her arms out for him. He stepped into them, wrapping his larger frame around her. She felt so small. Of course, she had been smaller than him before, but it now felt like he could break her into if he squeezed too hard. Frank put his face into her neck. She smelled of the hospital, of sickness. It made his stomach roll, but he didn’t flinch back from her. He couldn’t. Not when she needed him the most.

“Hey bitches!”

Frank pulled back from Mercy the slightest bit, looking over his shoulder. Sicily had her head stuck out of the car window, grinning at them like an idiot. A slight smile pulled up the right side of his face and he reached down to grasp Mercy’s hand. With help from Bob, they got her over to the car. Sicily threw open the door and climbed into the backseat, Bob right behind her. Frank sat in the front, pulling Mercy onto his lap. He still had no idea why they had only brought one car today, but they had. Which was why Sicily, Bob, Ray, and Mikey were crammed in the backseat.

“So, what are the plans?” Mikey asked from the backseat, leaning forward a bit to peer between him and Mercy and Gerard, who was driving.

Frank looked at Mercy expectantly. They were all kind of waiting on her to decide. They weren’t sure what she was capable of, what she could still do without being exhausted. They didn’t want to push her enough to get her to the point of collapsing. It would do no good, and only make him feel like shit. So, they waited.

“I’m actually kind of tired. Would you guys mind if you dropped me off at my place, then we’ll meet up later for dinner? I’d like to take a nap,” Mercy said quietly.

“Fuck woman! You’ve been sleeping a lot lately,” came Ray’s retort from the back.

Mercy let out a small, hollow laugh. Frank’s eyes narrowed in a grimace. Shit, didn’t anyone else hear that? Didn’t anyone else hear how forced that was? Were they fucking deaf? He bit at his bottom lip as he tightened his grip around her waist, pulling her as close as humanly possible. She sighed, snuggling her face into his chest. He could feel her soft breathing, the way her chest rose and fell slightly with each intake.

“Leave her alone, asshole,” Sicily muttered, smacking Ray. The sound seemed to reverberate through the car, making Frank jump slightly.

“It’s okay, Mercy. That sounds fine with me,” Gerard said, sending her a reassuring smile.

Frank looked down at her, kissing her forehead. “Do you want me to come in with you? I could use a nap too,” he said quietly, trying to come up with any way possible to stay with her. He just needed to be with her at the moment, just needed to feel her presence. Maybe he could even talk to her, see what was bothering her. But his hopes were crushed when she shook her head.

“No, that’s okay. I just…I need some time alone, okay?”

He couldn’t do anything else but nod. The rest of the car ride was pretty silent, except for the occasional comment from someone about random shit. Gerard pulled up outside of Mercy’s apartment building, putting the car into park. We all just sat there for a minute, waiting once more. Finally, she sat up and opened the door. Frank jumped out after her, shutting the door behind them.

“Let me just walk you in,” he mumbled, giving her a pleading expression.

She nodded, then grasped his hand, leading him inside the warm building. They took the elevator up to the third floor, then walked down the hallway towards her door. They paused outside of it, facing each other. She gave him that sad, broken smile before enveloping him in a hug. Frank embraced her, and for some reason, tears welled up in his eyes. He felt like he was saying goodbye, like this was the end. But it couldn’t be, could it?

“Thanks, Frankie. I love you,” she said quietly before releasing him. She pulled out the keys to her apartment, unlocked the door, then stepped inside.

“I love you too,” he whispered as the door shut in front of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
<333

I know it's shorter than usual. The next one will probably be about the same length, and it'll be Mercy's POV. It'll also be the ending to my Iero story. There will be a sequel, so don't fret your little hearts out. ^_^

Comments?

<333
PhoenixRising