Sequel: Adolescent Suicide

Frank Iero, You Are My Hero

Part Three

The tour bus slowly pulled into the parking lot of a non-descript building. This apparently was where they were doing their photo shoot, but all Mercy could think about the place was that it reminded her of this one episode of CSI: Las Vegas, and that there was a possibility that some crazy man who made Halloween costumes was in there, waiting to kill them all. Sad, she knew. But it was the truth. And it made her very uneasy.

Bob made fun of her endlessly for her inability to watch scary movies or TV shows without getting a little carried away. Which was why she hadn’t watched a scary movie in several years. CSI, though, was addicting. She owned all of the seasons on DVD, and watched them all the time, despite the fact that it made her a little weary about going anywhere near Las Vegas.

“You alright, Merc? You’re looking a little pale,” Mikey said from beside her.

She had planted herself in one of the booth chairs at the small kitchen table, her blue eyes wide as she stared out the window. Mikey had slid into the table across from her, one hand propping his head up as he watched her, a small smile on his face. Bob had told him about her issues with scary places. And scary movies.

“Do you think there could be a murderer in there?” Mercy asked before she could help herself.

Frank, who was on the couch, burst out laughing. She turned, eyes narrowed. She didn’t find it that funny. Actually, she didn’t find it funny at all. And it was starting to get on her nerves how he thought that everything she did or said was hilarious. Mercy wasn’t trying to be funny, and she didn’t appreciate being made fun of like that.

“I wasn’t being funny, you stupid ass,” she growled, glaring at him.

Tears were starting to roll down Frank’s face as he shook his head, trying hard to speak through the laughter. Mikey rolled his eyes and smiled over at the girl, who was obviously being extremely serious. Frank wasn’t helping. If anything, he was going to piss off Mercy, and he wasn’t quite sure that he wanted to see that side of her yet.

“No, Merc. There aren’t going to be any murderers in there. If there are though, we can sacrifice Frankie, okay?” Mikey said as he stood.

Mercy grinned, despite herself. Like she said, Mikey was the sane one of the group. And the thought of sacrificing Frank to a mass murderer was really starting to appeal to her. Maybe Mikey was a genius. Yes, that was it. Only someone with that sort of intelligence could make the girl like them.

“Come on, ass faces. We’re going to be late if you all don’t get your skinny asses off this bus,” Gerard said, appearing from the back clad in a plain black pair of skinny jeans, some black tennis shoes, and a deep red t-shirt. What the fuck was he? A vampire?

She stood and grabbed the extremely large makeup bag from the seat next to her. This was her first actual job doing makeup, and she was a little nervous about it. How she did during this tour would make or break her in the industry. If she fucked up…well, she wouldn’t. Mercy was quite confident in her talent doing people’s face. And she was going to have to use a lot of her talent on making these guys look good. Except for Bob. And that was only because they looked alike.

“Well, then get the fuck off the bus, you idiot,” Mercy replied, grinning broadly, receiving one in return from the lead singer.

Gerard had obviously taken a liking to the girl. And no, not in that way. He found her sarcasm and her rude words to them refreshing. He was so tired of people pretending to be nice to them because they were famous. Mercy wasn’t even like that. She could care less how many records they sold, or how many magazine covers they had been on. Mercy would treat them like regular people, no matter what. And he liked that.

They all clambered off the bus and made their way to the building. Sadly enough, Mercy’s nerves were starting to get to her. She didn’t really want to go in there, despite the fact that the killer was going to get Frank, and not her. She wasn’t sure she could handle all the blood. They entered through the large metal door and were greeted by a vivacious red headed woman, clad in the smallest white dress that was even imaginable. Mercy was surprised that she wasn’t popping out everywhere. Her blue eyes shifted down to what she was wearing. A pair of blue skinny jeans, some bright green flats, and a yellow neon t-shirt. Compared to the woman in front of her, she looked like trailer trash.

“Hi!” the woman exclaimed, sticking a hand out for Gerard to shake. He looked a little amused by her appearance, to say the least. The guy had his lips pressed together like he was suppressing a giggle.

“I’m Angela, the art director. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she said, shaking hands with everyone else as they gave her their names. And then her bright green eyes turned on Mercy, obviously not liking what she was seeing.

Not that Mercy cared. The woman could throw herself off a cliff, for all that the blonde cared. Everyone in the world could hate her, and it wouldn’t phase her. Bob constantly told her that she needed to care more, but she couldn’t ever bring herself to.

“And who is this?” Angela asked, looking over at Gerard.

First, the woman’s voice was starting to get on Mercy’s nerves. It was like nails on a chalkboard. Irritating. And secondly, she was standing right fucking there. She could’ve directed the question to her, not to Gee. She was able to speak, for fuck’s sake.

“I’m Mercy. The makeup artist, and Bob’s little sister,” Mercy said, making Angela turn her eyes back towards her, a forced smile on her face as she stuck her hand out. Mercy looked at it, but didn’t touch it. If she did, she was sure that she would get some sort of happy disease. Or fake boob disease. And that didn’t sound all that appealing, to be honest.

Angela looked a little shocked to be so openly dissed, but quickly hid it but placing both of her hands at her waist, clasped together. She told them to follow her, and she led them through a labyrinth of hallways until they came to a large open room. Lights were set up everywhere, lighting up a pure black backdrop. People were milling around everywhere, trying to get the set put up. Cameras were flashing, trying to get the best angle that had the best light. Angela took them into a dressing room and told them to go ahead and get ready, that when they were done, the director would come and meet with them.

The guys moved around, talking to the fashion designers as Mercy set up the small vanity with her makeup. She was so into what she was doing, that she didn’t feel Frank step up behind her, standing way too close for comfort.

“I’m first,” he said, his voice soft, his breath playing in her ear.

Mercy swore that she jumped at least ten feet into the air, spinning around, wielding a blush brush as a weapon. Her heart had quickened, as did her breathing. She let out a low growl, seeing that it was only Frank, and thumped him upside the head with the makeup brush.

“Fuck, Frank! What is it with you and getting into my bubble?!” she exclaimed, shoving him hard into the makeup chair that had been brought in.

Frank laughed like a little girl as he sat down, his hazel eyes glinting merrily. “Because you’re funny when you’re scared,” he replied knowingly.

She sneered and began rummaging through her makeup. Finding the base, she turned towards him and moved close, standing between his knees. It was in that moment that she realized he smelled…good. For some reason unknown to her, it made her knees go a little weak and she had to put a hand on one of the chair arms for support. She kept her eyes averted to the ground for a second before looking back up at Frank, who had a knowing smile on his face.

Frank was a ladies man. He was. Everyone knew that. He could get any girl he wanted to, at any time. And Mercy wasn’t that bad looking of a girl. She was actually kind of pretty. Man, if Bob knew he was having these thoughts, he’d have his head.

“You alright there, Merc?” he asked, his voice laced with conceit, breaking Mercy out of her thoughts, making her scowl down at him.

“Oh fuck off, Frank,” she muttered, grabbing his face so that she could apply the base. She had constantly told herself in the past that she would not like any of her brother’s friends. Ever. It just wasn’t right. Sure, Frank was around her age. And yes, he was good looking. As much as she hated to, she couldn’t deny that. But that didn’t change the fact that she respected her brother way too much for that to happen. Plus, Frank was an idiot. And Mercy was too smart for him.

His grin broadened. “Don’t deny that you like being this close to me,” Frank said, giving her a cheesy wink.

Her eyes narrowed, but she said nothing. She did not like being this close to him. She didn’t. Not one bit.

Did she?