Sequel: Adolescent Suicide

Frank Iero, You Are My Hero

Part Four

Mercy finished with the guys’ makeup, and they headed off to go do their hair, or whatever they did. Mercy focused her attention on putting her stuff back up, her thoughts on what Frank had said. She knew she probably shouldn’t dwell on it, but she couldn’t seem to get her mind to shut up. Mercy couldn’t stop thinking of the weird fuzzy feeling that had coursed through her body, the heat that had crept up from her stomach all the way to her face at his touch. She couldn’t like him. There was no way. He was a conceited, egotistical, lame ass…

“Mercy?”

She jumped, having lost herself once more in her Frank-hating frame of mind. She swore that these guys were creepy, the way they were able to move without you hearing them. It was scary, and she instantly realized that she was going to have to watch her back these next couple of months. Mercy turned, her blue eyes slightly wide and a brow arched over her left orb. Her brother stood there, a mischievous smile on his face, his hands tucked into the black pants that he was wearing.

“Um, we have a slight problem,” he said, the smile not leaving his face.

Mercy had a bad feeling about this. A very bad feeling. The look in his eye suggested that she was about to be tormented, and she began feeling a little nervous. However, she didn’t let that show on her face. Mercy jutted her chin out a little more and rolled her eyes.

“What was the first clue?” she murmured, sighing heavily as she shook her head. “What do you want?”

Bob reached up and scratched at his chin, chuckling. He was obviously extremely amused by whatever it was that was in his head. “One of the girls who were supposed to be in the shoot didn’t show up. The director wants you in it,” he told her, “It was Frank’s idea, so don’t kill the messenger.”

If it was possible, her blue eyes went even more wide and she shook her head more furiously. “Oh no! I’m not getting in front of the camera! No. I stay back here, with the makeup,” she said, backing up into the makeup counter.

He moved towards her, reaching out to grab her arm. “Oh yes you are. Frank’s a genius. You’re perfect for the part, and you will do it, Mercy,” he said, nodding at her.

*******

“I feel and look like a complete idiot.”

Mercy stood at the edge of the white backdrop, clad in a black and red cheerleading outfit, pom poms in her hand. Her blonde hair was puffed up more than usual, and she had bright red eye shadow and liner around her eyes. She couldn’t believe that she was doing this. She couldn’t believe that she allowed Bob to manhandle her into this stupid outfit. She was going to kill him. Him and Frank. Maybe together. At the same time.

Gerard moved over towards her, a huge grin on his face. He was going to get it too, if he even thought[about anything that pertained to Mercy in this getup.

“I think you look fine, Merc. Seriously. It’ll be okay,” he told her, trying to be reassuring. However, it didn’t work, and all he received was a dark look from the blonde girl.

“Places everyone!” the director called, moving from out of a room in the back. Probably putting the last touches on his makeup, because he looked like a cross-dresser. Except for his clothes, that is.

The man was tall, taller than all members of the band. He was bald, and it shone in the overhead lights. He wore the tightest pair of khaki pants that was imaginable, and a deep red button up shirt with a paisley scarf adorning his neck. It was right out of a horror movie, it seemed. He walked like something was clenched in his ass, making Mercy snicker lightly to herself. The art director, Angie or whatever the hell, was a little ways away, not very discreetly smirking in Mercy’s general direction.

Out of nowhere, Frank appeared at her side, grabbing the upper part of her arm and dragging her away from Gerard. Mercy sent the singer a ‘Help Me’ look as she was pulled away, making him laugh and shake his head, letting her know that was truly on her own for this one.

“I will have you know, Frank Anthony Iero, that your balls will be on a platter this evening, when we get back on the tour bus,” Mercy muttered, practically baring her teeth at the guy who was now positioning her on the set amongst other idiots in cheerleading outfits.

Frank let out a bark of laughter and smirked at her. “Well, I didn’t know you liked it rough, Mercy, but I’m sure that I can handle it.”

She let out a low growl and smacked him upside the arm. She was about to do more, but the director began moving people around himself, getting everyone set up for the pictures. Frank was shoved away as he grabbed her and moved her more to the forefront, making her groan. Mercy hated being in the spotlight, hating having attention focused on her. That was why she took up doing makeup, instead of something else like her brother. She grew up being forced to take singing lessons and guitar lessons, and she was good, but she hated it. It just wasn’t for her.

The guys moved onto the set, positioning themselves among the cheerleaders. The director stood at the edge of the set, camera in hand. He took a few pictures, then peered over the top of the black digital camera, his brows furrowed as his dark blue eyes sought out Mercy.

“You there! In the front. Could you try to be a little more…peppy?” he asked, tilting his head to the side as he looked at her.

i]No, I can not. Can you kiss my little white ass? There was no way in hell Mercy was going to be peppy. If he wanted someone peppy, he could go to the nearest high school and find some ditz to be in the photo shoot, because Mercy wasn’t going to jump around, waving the stupid pom poms in the air just for some bald dude with a camera. Fuck him and his couch.

“This is fucking stupid. Find someone else,” Mercy growled, moving off of the set, throwing her pom poms at Frank with disgust.

This was why she didn’t ever go into the music industry. Not only did she hate the spotlight, but she hated people telling her what to do, hated people telling her how she should act. She would be herself, regardless of what is acceptable to the world around them.

She stalked back into the backroom, glad that no one was following her. Yet. Mercy sighed, wrinkling her nose slightly. She knew that her brother was probably going to be mad at her. As were the rest of the band. But she couldn’t help it. She hated conforming, hated being like other people. Originality was Mercy’s middle name. Well, not really. But you know what she means. Shaking her head, she sat in the makeup chair and bent over, putting her head between her legs, letting her long blonde hair fall over her legs.

“Mercy?”

What was it with these people and creeping up on her? She jumped slightly and sat up quickly, making her dizzy. She let out a slight groan and clenched her eyes shut, grasping at her head. That wasn’t good. It actually made her stomach kind of queasy.

“What do you want Frank?” she mumbled, trying to get her uneasiness to go away.

He hesitated, and Mercy realized that he was about to apologize. Or so she hoped. She forced her eyes open so that she could look at him. He stood just a little bit away, his hands in his pockets and his hazel eyes on the floor in front of him. He bit at his bottom lip and kicked the floor. Obviously he was having some issues trying to get it out. She wanted to laugh, but she didn’t want to scare him away. This was way too good.

“Look, I’m sorry, okay? I should’ve remembered that you hated shit like that. I feel bad,” he muttered, bringing his eyes up to defiantly look into hers.

Mercy gaped at him. He felt bad. He felt bad?! Well, that was a first. It almost made her feel sorry for him, but then she remembered who he was, and what he had done to her. Her stubbornness wouldn’t allow her to feel any remorse about her thoughts. However, she couldn’t bring herself to cut him down after that. He had obviously worked very hard to get those words out of his mouth, and she would feel like shit if she were to tell him he was being a stupid dumbass, even though that was how she felt.

She sighed heavily and averted her eyes. “It’s okay Frank. Just don’t do it again, okay?”

A smile lit up his handsome face. “Promise. Now, at least come watch our sexy asses look pretty for the camera,” he said, sticking his hand out for her to take.

Mercy looked at it, biting her bottom lip. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to take it. Mainly because she wasn’t sure if she wanted to feel the feelings again. She told herself to suck it up, to stop being such a wuss, and take his hand. With a slight smile, she reached out and took it, and he led her back into the large room where the set was.