Status: Three-Shot.

Machine

1/3

The game plan had been set. Contrary to the typical order of things, Eames had developed a reasonable scheme that had caught the attention of, and managed to get a response out of, Arthur. Said man tilted himself backward in his chair and smirked as he looked to the white board in front of him. His eyes searched for a flaw, and from the mere flash of displeasure that seeped through him, he had found nothing.

"Eames, I am impressed." Arthur's smile was reserved but true, and Eames forced himself to respond in such a way that would keep up the facade of his distaste for the man.

Looking him straight in the eye, Eames replied, "Your condescension is always much appreciated, Arthur. Thank you." A slight smirk followed, one that only Arthur had caught sight of, the very sight causing the machine in his chest to beat just once. Arthur coughed nervously, capturing the attention of the rest of the room. The girl, Ariadne, cut the tension with a question that under normal circumstances, would have been answered much sooner.

"If we're all set, when are we going to try this thing?" The sound of her voice distracted the group long enough that everyone else had forgotten the exchange that had just occurred.

"Well darling, we shall leave it up to you to slip Cobb the sedatives, he obviously trusts you more than the rest of us," Eames stated looking around the room at the few other familiar faces from the last attempt at inception. It was strange to him that they were united once more to try inception on their previous extractor, whom had fallen into his own trap.

Overwhelmed by his desire to go home, Cobb had lost interest in his totem and ignored its very purpose as it continued to spin long after it should have. Reality and the dream world of limbo had gotten reversed, and his ability to tell the difference had disappeared somewhere between his dreamed return home and when he had actually woken up.

"It's funny, really," Arthur stated dryly.

"Funny how, my dear?" Eames countered, and Arthur mentally shrunk into his seat.

"It's funny, Eames, that we are performing a task that we would have thought to have been impossible not too long ago, on the man who convinced us the task was not impossible."

"That's called irony, Arthur."
♠ ♠ ♠
Word count: 398

I was really excited to start writing this. It's my first fan-fiction in a LONG time.
Comments and criticism are appreciated! :]