Status: Three-Shot.

Machine

2/3

Ariadne had invite Cobb out for drinks the weekend following the meeting. She and Yusef managed to lug Cobb back to their typical meeting building across the street in a rather timely manner, and it crushed Arthur as he looked at the sleeping form before his eyes. He sighed, disappointed with the way things had worked out; never would he have imagined having to dive into and manipulate the brain of his longtime friend and colleague.

"You alright, Arthur darling?" Eames's voice shook Arthur from his thoughts, and he was overwhelmingly aware of the hand on his shoulder. The heat from the touch soared through his entire body like a wave, and he wanted so desperately for it to never leave. The machine in his chest beat twice.

"Fine," Arthur sputtered instead, pulling Eames's hand off of his shoulder and instantly regretting it as the icy air hit the spot. "Let's get him moved into the other room with everyone else."

"Yes, of course," Eames muttered defeated. Together the two lifted Cobb and carried him to the room where the PASIV device was opened and prepared. Everything was set and ready for the inception but the mental statuses of the two gentlemen.

When they went under, it could be seen that the first level was very similar to the first inception: a cityscape where everyone had gotten separated. It was their hope to confuse Cobb into thinking this was but a drunken memory of a former time, versus the invasion into his own mind. Arthur waited at the corner until a horn caught his attention and he eagerly jogged to meet it. He dropped into the passenger seat of the SUV to see Eames was the one driving; Cobb was unconscious in the back seat. Eames hummed to himself as he drove, a tune unfamiliar to Arthur, but soothing nonetheless. Cobb's unconscious defenses were down; he would assume everything to be reality in his own form of jumbled organization.

"Eames?" Arthur suddenly spoke.

Eames's anticipation heightened, and the calamity in his voice sounded forced, "Yes, Arthur?"

"You missed the turn."

Internally, Eames cursed, but externally he remained calm and collected. He reverted to his normal, playful tone that was only reserved for Arthur as he turned down a street he had hoped would lead to the same meeting place. "I'm quite aware, Arthur, don't worry. Admire the beautiful work of art that Ariadne has bestowed upon us." He rested his hand on Arthur's knee, his heart leaping as he realized Arthur was making no effort to move it. Arthur said nothing else and melted into Eames's touch as the ride continued in silence.

Everyone was waiting patiently in the warehouse when Eames pulled in. The PASIV device was already set up to put another dose of Somnacin into most of their veins, and it was nearly time to sink into level two. Ariadne slipped a knowing glance in Eames's direction when he exited the car, but the exchange didn't go completely unnoticed by Arthur. He didn't acknowledge the machine in his chest as it beat three times more: they were becoming more frequent, threatening his nonchalant cover.

Once more, the men carried Cobb's body toward the suitcase, resting him against the wall. "You didn't say that he'd be unconscious even within the dream, Yusuf," Arthur whined.

"It should wear off in the dreamscape if you spend a little more time in the second level. There doesn't seem to be any threats here, so enjoy yourself a little when you go under, he'll wake up," Yusuf responded with the typical grin he so often wore.

The remaining participants, Eames, Ariadne, Arthur, and Cobb slipped into level two without a problem. This level also resembled the second level in the past inception, being a luxurious hotel. Eames searched around the hotel for his counterpart with a smirk about his face. There was a tiny part of his idea that he had not brought to Arthur's, or anyone's, attention at the meeting, and he intended for everything to go according to plan.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word count: 679

A little longer chapter this time, a little more action heating up...
Comments and criticism are greatly appreciated! :]