From The Lights To The Pavement

3

Image

It was about an hour from lunch and I was in my sports lesson, I knew I would regret not having breakfast as I was feeling faint from not having any energy to run on. I could feel my legs shaking and I tried to carry on, I did. But it was no use I stumbled to the ground causing a big cut to form on my leg the instance I touched the tarmac of the sprint course. A few girls ran past me not bothering to help me and giving me dirty looks.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and as I turned to see who it was they spoke to me. “ Lets go take you to the nurse to get a plaster, it’ll get us out this dum lesson”. I recognised him from the bunch of boys that got told off this morning for being late, he was the one with long black hair. His eyes were a misty brown and he had a warming smile the type that made you feel all special inside.

He held his hand out in front of me allowing me to grab it. He pulled me up and we went towards the nurse room.

After a few steps away from where I had fallen down he introduced him
self, “the names Gerard, and you may be?” I glanced into his eyes and replied

“Darthlene”

“cool name”

“I know you laughing inside your head”

“Nope, I’m not”

“Hmmm sure, well everybody calls me Darla. Its much better”

“Well then Darla, its nice to meet you” We both laughed, and entered through the main school doors and took a left.

“I hate nurses” I told Gerard as he knocked on the nurses door.<br>

“Your be okay, I promise”

The nurse wasn’t much help, just gave me a plaster and said to come back if it got too bloody. I don’t know why but ever since I could remember I just hated nurses, there was something strange about it.

Gerard took me back to the changing rooms and went to the boys section. I didn’t see him again till lunch.

The cafeteria was busy but there was enough room for people to get by, I wasn’t sure if I liked the school yet as I had only been there for a few hours, and I had only made one friend. Gerard. I wasn’t even sure if he counted as a friend.

I was getting my lunch from the diner ladies when I turned around to go sit down when a guy in his baseball kit thwacked right into me making my food fly everywhere. I looked at him to see my pizza had stuck to his outfit, it then plopped to the floor leaving a stain on his baseball shirt. He gave me a death glare with some added frowning.

“Shut up, it’ll come out” I muttered at him not thinking what the outcome of this could be.

“ I said nothing and you tell me to shut up? I got a match now, but ill get you later. You watch your back if you wanna survive in this school.”

I wouldn’t say I wasn’t threatened by what he had said but I didn’t want to argue and get in more deep then I already was.

“Is he bothering you Darla?” I turned round to see Gerard

“No, he’s not. Not anymore”

“Well then, once we get your lunch again payed by this kind gentleman named what was it? Prick? Oh yes, then would you like to come and sit with some of my friends with me?”

I looked at him in shock thinking that he thought this boy I had spilt my food on would pay for my lunch. He must have been stupider than I thought could ever be. It then hit me that he had asked me to sit with him.
Why me?
Out of the thousand people who went to this school. Why me?

“Your dead, dude, your going down goth” with that the baseball player left not bothering to look back.

“Hey, I do voodoo so your dead before me!” Gerard shouted after him. The player then started to walk faster.

“Voodoo?” I replied

“Long story” he paused “now lets get you your lunch and then we can meet my dear old friends!”