From The Lights To The Pavement

36

Image

"You are doing it right aren't you?" Frankie queried as I placed the hair dye on his head.

"Look I've done it thousands of times before, why wouldn’t this time be right?"

"Get the sides too" he added.

"I have" I replied back.

I laughed as the kids came running in. the bathroom with chocolate all around their mouths.

"Have you two been eating the choccy?" Frankie asked the boys the obvious.

"No" Zeke replied with the face of an angel

"I think someones telling lies" I answered back not bothered by their lies, it was making me laugh.

"Holden? Are you lying to your father?" Frankie asked Holden straight in the eyes smiling.

"No dad, never" He replied.

"I think you two should look in the mirror then" Frankie laughed at them as they did as he told them.

"I swear dad, Holden told me to eat it" Frank and I laughed at Zeke.

"No way, you told me to eat it" Holden told Zeke.

"Don't worry, just save us some next time, okay?"

"Yes mom" they chorused together at the same time.

I carried on applying the hair liquor to Frank's hair as the boys watched for a few minutes in silence.

"What's that Mom?"

"Blonde hair dye for your father"

"Can I try some?" Holden asked

"Me too" Zeke asked, easily influenced by his older brother.

"What do you think Frankie?" I asked my husband laughing at our childs eagerness to be like their father and follow in their foot steps of dying their hair.

"Well they are young, but I know when I was their age I really wanted to dye my hair but my parents wouldnt let me so I hated them for ages" he paused, "So why not?"

"Well if there's any hair dye left and if we do, do it and the school complains about it were dying it our first thing"

"Thanks mom" I smiled as my boys thanked me.

"Is it done yet?" Frankie asked getting impatient.

"Yeah" I paused as Frank got of his chair admiring his hair in the mirror, "You have to wait 30 minutes for it to be done" he nodded as he walked off looking proud of himself.

"Who's first?"

"Me" Holden snapped in first.

I sighed as he sat in the seat Frankie was just in a second ago. "Right, what shall I do?" I asked him.

"Do my Mohawk" I nodded as I applied a small amount of the hair dye left over on Holden's small black Mohawk. After my work on his I used the rest of the bleach on Zeke's hair tips.

__________________________________________________________________________

FEW HOURS LATER

I smiled as I peeped in through Holden's and Zeke's bed room door, they were being read a night time story by Frankie. All my boys now had blonde in their hair. Zeke had fallen asleep, and Holden was just on the verge.

"The end" Frankie sighed as he closed the book and placed it on the floor.

"Night night dad" Holden whispered as he turned in his bed.

"Night boys" Frankie replied before walking out their room. "I thought that book would never end" He whispered to me as he followed me to our bedroom. I just laughed at him as I got under the bed covers already in my pyjamas. I watched as Frankie got changed into his and joined me in bed.

"Night Frankie" I whispered as I gave him a kiss

"Night Dar" he replied as he wrapped an arm around me.

"Frankie?"

"Yeah?"

"I love your hair" I smiled as I heard him laugh turning off the lights.