World So Cold

Till Death

Not being able to handle being in the room anymore I gathered up my skirts and ran out. I ran out of the house and out into the fields that surrounded our house. I ran until I got to the lake that was near our property.

The lake was surrounded by tall grass that I could barely see over. It secluded me, making me feel as if I was in my own little world. It was exactly the place that I needed at this time.

I stopped near the water’s edge and sat down on a rock. It was then that I started weeping. I buried my head in my hands and let the tears cascade down. I cried until my eyes were red and hurt. I cried until the sun was setting and the brilliant shades of red and orange filled the sky.

Wiping my eyes on my sleeve, not caring about the dress anymore, I stood up. I should get back before it becomes dark. I did not want to be out here then. Who knows what could be lurking there. I was just about to turn back when a sound caught my attention.

Turning towards it I was met with the swaying of the tall grass. I waited with bated breath for something to come out but nothing did. I took a tentative step towards the area. As soon as I did my whole body became raised in alarm.

My senses went into overdrive and my heart rate accelerated.
Danger! my mind screamed. It urged me to move, to back away, run. Instead I stayed put, fighting the instinct that raged inside of me. My heart pulled me forward.

That was when he stepped out of the cover of the grass. He was dressed in his finest, in his suit. His hair was the same black, his eyes the same fathomless color. “Damon?” my mind formed the question. I couldn’t comprehend him being here. “Are-are you a apparition?” I asked.

How could he be here? I had attended his funeral. I saw him lying there, completely dead. How was he here? “No apparition, il mio amore.” He strode forward until he was standing directly in front of me. “I am very much tangible.” He demonstrated by reaching out and cupping my face. He ran his thumb over my cheeks wiping away tears I didn’t know I had.

“How?” I asked, the only other question that was in my mind.

“Ah, that is quite a story. One I don’t think you would believe.” He pulled me closer to him so that our bodies were pressed together. I had missed his touch, missed him for so long that I didn’t question anything. I just went with it, enjoyed it.

“I thought you were dead,” I whispered. My voice was very low, barely even acknowledgeable to my own ears, but Damon heard it. Damon brushed my hair back away from my face. He moved it so that my neck and shoulders were exposed sending a slight chill throughout my body.

“I was…am dead,” he said a slight frown creasing his forehead. Then suddenly he kissed me. I was stunned by the suddenness of his movements. It took time for my brain to register what was happening. In that time Damon moved from kissing my mouth down to my neck. His hands held me firmly against him.

“Is this a dream?” I asked. I hoped this whole day was a dream. I hoped I would wake up and my father would never know.

“No, il mio amore. This is more like a nightmare.” Then suddenly I felt a prick on my neck that felt like a snakebite. I then felt my blood being sucked from my body by Damon. I immediately went into panic in struggled. As soon as I did the pain intensified, becoming almost unbearable.

“Damon, stop,” I pleaded. I struggled against him but he held me firmly. It wasn’t until I felt entirely weak, exhausted that I was finally released from his grasp. As he released me I fell, barely hanging onto consciousness.

I caught one last look at Damon as he stared down at me before all went black. He had the face of a monster. Veins protruded from beneath his eyes, fangs protruded from his mouth, and blood, my blood, dripped from his chin. Worst of all were his eyes. His eyes that seemed to hold no remorse for what they had done.


“And that’s how I died,” I said. My voice was filled with sadness and silent tears spilled over my eyes. Not wanting to see or hear either of their reactions I ran quickly up the ladder to the widow’s walk. I needed the fresh air.

Once up there I gripped the railing until my knuckles turned white. I stared out without seeing, thinking of nothing. I could only feel. The cold air and wind froze the tears and kept them in my eyes. Distantly I could hear Stefan and Damon talking, almost arguing.

I then blocked it out, trying only to focus on the beauty of the night and the snow that encased the landscape. I was doing a pretty good job until a hand was placed on my forearm. It brought me back to reality.

I looked over to see Damon standing there. I was instantly captured by his beauty, his eyes. I forever would be, there was no escaping it. “I had no idea,” he said, his voice sounding pained almost, his eyes holding sincerity.

“What?” I asked confused.

“I had no idea I killed you. I-I don’t remember it at all.” Damon looked tortured. He looked completely and utterly distraught like I had just told him he could never have human blood again.

“You expect me to believe that?” I asked as I glared at him. I pulled my arm out of his grasp and crossed them over my chest.

“No, I don’t,” he said surprising me. “But it’s the truth.”

“Damon, I don’t understand. Everything is just so messed up.” I could feel more tears coming to my eyes. I felt so vulnerable. I had been attacked twice and had almost lost, twice. Every time it was Damon there to save me.

Tentatively, hesitantly Damon pulled me into a hug. His arms wrapped securely around me, sheltering me from the elements. “I’m so sorry, Juliet,” he whispered against my hair. I buried my head in his chest. My hands gripped at the jacket he was wearing pulling him closer.

I needed someone there for me right now. If it was Damon, then so be it. I stayed like that for a couple minutes. I kept breathing deeply trying not to lose it, to keep it together. I had made it so far already. I couldn’t give up now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who saw that coming?

And finally some Damon, even I couldn't take it anymore :)