World So Cold

Hunting

“I cannot believe I just got myself into this,” I said crossing my arms over my chest and sitting on Stefan’s bed.

“Let us hope we get you out of this,” said Stefan. I sighed over exaggerating my discomfort at the situation. Of all the people that turned out to help me.

“Are you positive I have to stay here?” I asked again in another couple of seconds. Stefan had insisted that I room with him instead of sleeping in the woods. He claimed it to be safer since nobody could get inside the house without being invited.

“Yes, Juliet,” said Stefan smiling. “You know it’s the safest thing, as well as I do. And until we can make sure you’re not going to be harmed anymore, you’re staying right here.”

“Catherina is going to be traveling all over the globe. People will be claiming they know where she resides. It’s not going to end well, Stefan. It never does.”

“We’ll deal with what comes when it does. We don’t need to worry about ‘what ifs’ right now.” I sighed again. I was so bored. Stefan’s place was so boring. There was literally nothing to do. And they wouldn’t let me out either.

“I’m hungry,” I stated standing up. “Come hunting with me?” I offered to Stefan. I could see his immediate dislike but I still held the offer.

“No thanks,” said Stefan. “You know you really shouldn’t b—”

“Save the speech, Stef. I’m not going to change and I need to be as strong as possible. Now you can come with me or I can go by myself.” I put my hands on his hips expecting him to just let me go by myself.

“Take Damon,” said Stefan. My eyes narrowed.

“I think I’d rather take my chances.” I tried to go through the trap door and up to the widow’s walk in a flash of speed but Stefan intercepted me before I could make it. He was faster than I was. Elena’s blood had given him more of his abilities back.

“I’ll call Damon.” He pulled out his cell phone. Dropping his hand from mine he dialed in the number. I waited while the phone rang hoping that Damon wouldn’t answer. But when I heard his greeting I quickly moved out of the house and onto the widow’s walk. Before Stefan could catch me I was up in the air as a crow and flying towards a nearby town.

Landing in the town I immediately started looking for some easy prey. I pushed all thoughts about my life and everything else to the back of my mind. My only focus now was on the hunt. I began to walk around looking for someone. I wasn’t going to bite just anyone. Not like I had before.

I ambled through town looking at the different shops and homes. This one dress in the store caught my eye and I found myself going inside and hearing the little chime of the bell. Picking up the dress I fingered the delicate lace.

“Do you need help, Ms.?” asked a sales lady. She seemed to be the only one besides me in the shop. She seemed to be young, around my age and very new at this.

“Can I try this on?” I asked holding up the dress.

“Yes, of course,” she said an ushered me into a changing room. Quickly I changed into the beautiful dress and luckily it fit perfectly. As I stepped out of the room the lady handed me some shoes that she deemed would go along very well with the dress. “Do you like it?” she asked.

“Yes, I do,” I said looking in a full length mirror. The dress came to be about mid-thigh length.

“So you’ll buy it?” she asked eagerly.

“Of course not. You’re going to let me walk out of here with it,” I said compelling her. She seemed dazed for a moment while the compulsion took effect.

“Thank you for shopping here,” she said snapping out of it. “I’m glad you like the dress.” She turned and walked away. Going around the shop I gathered a leather jacket and a patterned pair of tights to complete my outfit.

As I stepped out I noticed a lone figure leaning against the wall of the building. Black hair, black leather jacket, black jeans, black leather shoes. And as his black eyes met mine I knew I was caught. “Nice dress,” he commented.

“How did you find me?” I asked.

“You say that like it was hard,” he said flashing one of his 100-kilowatt smiles.

“I can take care of myself,” I said and turned to walk away. Damon appeared right in front of me, only inches away.

“Really? Because it always seems like I’m coming to your rescue,” he said raising an eyebrow begging me to contradict him even though I knew he was right.

“You’re an ass,” I said glaring at him.

“But you love my ass,” he said smirking. “Now I do believe this outing had the point of you finding a meal. Let’s get to it.” He waited patiently for me to move.

“You say that like you have something better to do,” I said smirking before walking off towards the nice part of town.

“Maybe I do,” he argued as I surveyed the neighborhood looking for someone outside.

“You can plan on how to ruin my life right here, right now,” I said before quickly moving off towards a guy that was mowing the lawn. He was bundled in a jacket and gloves but his face looked refreshed and I could see the blood in his cheeks. He was young, around 20 with blonde hair and blue eyes.

“Hey,” I said approaching him. He turned to look at me not because I said something but because he saw me out of the corner of my eye. I glanced around and managed to put a scared look into my eyes. Vampires would make the best actors. He cut the lawnmower and I came up close to him.

“Hey, can I borrow your phone? There’s this strange man following me and it’s really freaking me out. I wanted to call my mom to come pick me up so I wouldn’t have to keep walking all the way.”

“Sure,” he said his eyes growing concerned as he too looked around. I knew Damon had disappeared and was probably watching as a crow somewhere. He began walking towards the house and I followed glancing around suspiciously to keep my façade.

He opened up his door and gestured for me to go inside first. I nodded, thankful, and stepped inside. Coming in behind me, he closed the door and went to get the phone. But just before he picked it up I was behind him. Grabbing him I spun us so that he was up against the wall. I held him a few inches above the ground by his jacket.

“Surprise,” I said grinning and showing my fangs. The man’s eyes widened and he gasped in surprise. “You know you should be careful who you invite into the house.”

I didn’t want to prolong this any longer than I had to, and I was hungry. I bit into his throat, right along his artery. The blood poured into my mouth, quenching my thirst and soothing the hunger in my stomach. I took about enough blood that he passed out, but no more. He’d wake up feeling dizzy and faint, but he’d survive.

I bit my wrist and forced his body to drink a couple of mouthfuls of blood. It’d heal him and he’d remove his bit marks. Couldn’t have him running around with proof of vampires on his neck. Straightening my jacket I stepped through the house and came out the back.

I changed into a raven and flew into a nearby tree. Sitting there I waited for Damon to join me. He did a couple seconds later. Let’s get you back to little brother, said Damon sending me a telepathic wave.

Flying up into the air he turned towards Fell’s Church. Grudgingly I followed him back to my ‘safety zone.’