World So Cold

Babysitter

When we arrived home, that night, Stefan was nowhere to be found. In his place was a note addressed to Damon. It asked him to watch me here at the boarding house and to make sure no harm comes to me. He was expected to return soon.

Damon crumpled up the note and threw it in a corner of the room. I’m glad he didn’t have anything heavier. “He expects me to play babysitter,” grumbled Damon obviously unhappy with the situation.

“Nobody’s making you stay here,” I said. “Leave for all I care. It’s not like a vampire can actually come in here.”

Damon came forward and grabbed my arm. “I’m not letting you out of my sight,” he said vehemently.

“Not even when I take a shower?” I asked innocently. Damon released his grip on my arm quickly as if I had burned him.

“Hurry up,” he growled before moving over to one of shelves and inspecting its contents with feigned interest. Grabbing a night gown that I had ‘borrowed’ I went into the bathroom. The water was warm and relaxing against my skin and I didn’t step out till the bathroom was filled with steam.

After drying off I put on the nightgown. It was black silk with lace around the necklace and capped sleeves. I rubbed my hair with a towel until it was only slightly damp and hung slightly curled. Stepping out of the bathroom the change in temperature was obvious.

“Damon?” I questioned after stepping out of the bathroom. He was staring out the window into the black night. I knew he heard me but he still didn’t turn. “Damon, is everything okay?” I asked hesitantly. I began to move towards him cautiously. There was something about the set of his shoulders, his posture that didn’t sit right with me.

I came to stand behind him where he still hadn’t said anything or given a sign of movement. I placed a hand on his shoulder but before I could make contact Damon shrugged it off and moved away. “Damon, what’s wrong?” I asked my voice becoming frantic. I took a step forward.

“Just stay away,” said Damon, his voice tight with forced control. I blinked not believing what I was hearing.

“What?” I asked stupidly. I stood frozen, not wanting to move. I feared that if I did this would become real.

“Just stay away from me,” he said rounding on me. I could see the wild anger in his eyes. But beneath that I saw the fear, the hurt. Damon and I, we couldn’t hide from each other. We just had that connection where it would seem we knew what the other was thinking before they even did.

“No,” I said moving towards him. As I came forward I could see his posture straighten and every muscle in his body seemed to tense. I came to stand inches from him when I tilted my head up to look into his eyes. “No,” I repeated. “You never stayed away from me. You played with my heart like it was a toy that one day, you got bored with. I’m not going to stay away from you.” I can’t.

“You have no idea what you’re talking about,” said Damon, anger flashing through his features and churning in his eyes.

“Then please, enlighten me,” I said. “Because the way I see it, you are nothing more than some bastard who just wanted to sleep with me.” I should have known better than to press Damon like I did. I always knew he had a temper that could get out of hand.

Before I could stop it, Damon’s hand was on my throat and my back was thrown against the wall. Our bodies pressed together as he held me there. I waited patiently while the anger died in his eyes and he regained some control. “You don’t know what you are talking about,” he said. His voice was low, husky.

“Tell me,” I said gently. Suddenly Damon and I seemed to realize just how close we were. Our faces were inches apart and I could feel the warmth coming off of him, from his aura. I tried to reach out to his aura with my own. But before I could touch it, Damon had already pulled away.

“No more secrets, Damon,” I pleaded, my voice soft, quiet. “We’ve had enough to last an eternity.” I reached out to him with my hand but he flinched and I let it drop to my side. Damon’s eyes were anywhere but mine. “Please?” I asked finally.

His eyes met mine and I heard him sigh. His shoulders slumped and he seemed to give in. “If any of this is gets out, even to my brother, you will regret it,” he warned.

“I won’t tell anyone,” I promised. Damon went to stare out the window again. He didn’t seem to want to look at me while he told his story and I could only imagine the secrets he held. What he had kept locked up for 500 years.