World So Cold

Goodbye

I walked through the forest searching for him. I kept sending out probing thoughts to try and locate him but I couldn’t do it. This troubled me because Damon had obviously been upset upon seeing Katherine’s ring on Elena.

Suddenly an overwhelming sense of Power engulfed me. It was the Power of pure evil and it was strong, very strong. It was probably the greatest amount I had felt. The rush of it and strength of it sent me falling to my knees, clutching my head in agony. I gave a little cry of pain as I struggled to remain conscious during the onslaught.

Just as quick as it had come, the Power disappeared. It left me feeling breathless and shaken. I forcibly stopped the tremors that went through my body. Slowly I got up off the ground. Immediately I made up my mind.

I began to run through the forest, moving at lightning speed. I was suddenly stopped before I could get too far. I came to a halt, looking up into the face of Damon. His hands gripped my wrists, holding me in place. His eyes searched my face.

“What’s wrong?” he asked at the same time that I said,

“Damon, I’m leaving.”

“What do you mean ‘leaving?’” he asked as confusion crossed his face.

“You had to have felt the malevolence and Power that occurred. I did. And it…it scared me. It was such evil… I can’t be here anymore. It’s not safe.” I looked over his shoulder wanting to run off into the dark forest beyond. I wanted to disappear, get away from here.

“Juliet, Stefan and I are going to take care of you. We’re going to keep you safe. I thought that was our plan.” He pulled my wrists so that my hands were on his chest. My eyes darted back to him.

“It was,” I said finding it hard to disappoint him. “Now I can’t be here. I can’t put either of you through that.”

“We want to help, Juliet. Both of us care about you. You should know that.” He let go of my wrists and pushed a stray piece of hair back in place.

“You want nothing more than for me to stay away from you,” I said with a bit of hatred and removed my hands from his chest. “How can you say that you care about me?”

“Because I do,” he said earnestly. “I don’t want you near me for your own good. It’s safer.”

“You’re not going to kill me,” I said moving closer to him so that we were almost touching.

“You don’t know that,” he pointed out watching my movement cautiously.

“I think I do,” I said. “I think that I actually trust you not to do anything.” I moved so that our bodies melded together and I could feel the warmth of his body. “And I think I’m willing to take that risk.” I had to look up into his eyes and I saw the vulnerability that seemed to occur whenever I was near.

“Why?” he asked. His voice was barely just above a whisper.

“Because I love you,” I said as if it were obvious. Placing a hand behind his neck I pulled him down. Almost painfully slow I placed a gentle kiss on his lips. As our lips touched it was like a fire lit up around us.

It was like my insides were melting at his touch as he pulled me closer to him. I could feel emotions I hadn’t felt in years. They coursed through me making me feel alive. I felt alive.

“I love you,” I whispered as I pulled away.

“I love you too. Don’t leave.”

“I have to, Damon.” A single tear fell from eye. I could feel it make its way down my cheek.

“I’m coming with you,” he said determinedly.

“You can’t,” I said caressing his cheek. “It’s not safe.” I gave him one last kiss. And as I pulled away I sent an overwhelming amount and concentration of Power his way. It overwhelmed his senses and he quickly lost consciousness.

Brushing the hair out his face I placed one last one last kiss on his lips. I wished the moment could last forever.