World So Cold

The Enemy

I went through the forest at a steady run. It was about the pace of a normal human being. The farther I got, the more I wanted to go back. I wanted to stay with Damon. I wanted to be with him. But I knew that I couldn’t do that. I couldn’t do that to him.

Suddenly I felt the malevolence again. Panic surged through me and I began to run as fast as I could through the forest. I had probably moved about 20 yards when I was brought down from behind. My knees scarped along the ground as a heavy weight was on my back.

I could feel the Power come over me again. Unlike before it was directed at me. I could feel it break down my defenses and press into my head. The strength of if screamed inside of me causing me to scream out loud. I don’t know if it ever made it past my throat because I quickly lost consciousness.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

I awoke sometime later. I blinked my eyes open to see the dim light coming from a couple of candles that were lit. The flickering fire cast shadows along the stone walls. Other than myself it looked as if nothing else were in the room.

I was sitting on the floor, my back against one of the walls, it’s cool stone leaving a chill throughout my body. The atmosphere had a cool, damp feel to it. And with the surrounding darkness I could tell I was underground. It just had that feel to it.

I shifted my weight trying to get into a more comfortable position. I heard the clinking of chains and that’s when I felt the feel of metal around my wrists. Instantly my senses were more alert. I could feel the panic begin to rise in my chest as I struggled to keep it down.

I gave a sharp tug on the chains but they didn’t break. They were heavy and thick, secured tightly into the wall. I had just enough length to sit and put my arms in front of me. My eyes searched my surroundings once again and this time I caught sight of a gate. If I could break free the gate surely led to freedom.

I stood up against the protest of my muscles. They were stiff from being in the cold, damp conditions in one position for too long. Standing up I leaned against the wall. Summoning up what strength I could I went to pull on the chains.

Before I could though I felt the malevolent presence enter the room. My eyes instantly went to a shadowed door way that led into darkness. As I watched the Power came forward into the candlelight. As their form was revealed I felt hate and anger fill up inside of me.

Baring my fangs I snarled at her. A slow, smug smile spread across her features as she watched me. Her face held the same childishness that it did 500 years ago. But now there was a hateful and hungered look in her eyes.

“Katherine,” I said, the words coming out as a growl. I could feel myself straining at the chains, trying to get free. I wanted to wrap my hands around her neck and...well, use your imagination.

“Are you sure I’m not Elena?” she asked teasingly.

“What are you doing here?” I asked pulling at the chains again.

“Stop doing that,” scolded Katherine, staring at the chains. “You’re going to stay here with me. You can keep me company as I destroy this town.” She clapped her hands together and did a pirouette.

“I’d rather die,” I spat. Katherine’s glee turned into a frown.

“You will in time,” she said conversationally like we were talking about the weather. “But I’m going to have my fun first.” Her face twisted hungrily as her fangs slid forward, past her lower lip. She moved with graceful steps, coming towards me.

“I thought you were dead,” I said looking for ways to stall. It had the desired effect and she paused in her footsteps.

“Nope,” she said smiling, happy for fooling me. “That was just a trick. I was trying to get Damon and Stefan together. They should have came together and mourned me.” I could see the rage coming over her. “But they didn’t! Stupid, stupid boys!” she shouted.

“You shouldn’t have played them, Katherine.” Her gaze sharpened in on me. She moved forward again, coming to stand in front of me. Her blue eyes were the center of my vision.

“But I loved them, both of them.” For a moment her eyes held a sadness. For a moment I almost felt pity for her. It was easy when she had such obvious childish innocence. But then the sadness disappeared and the anger took over again. “And they were supposed to have loved me. Only me. Good thing I took care of you both.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Well, I killed Elena,” said Katherine her face lighting up with happiness. I could really see the child in her then. “I drowned her. Right in the river above us. I held her under until she was gone. No more Elena,” sang Katherine.

I felt sadness overwhelm me as I imagined Stefan’s grief. He’s going to be devastated once he finds out. He’s going to hate Katherine. If he doesn’t already, he will now. “And you,” said Katherine going on. “I took care of you once, I’m sure I can do it again. But this time it’s going to be slower, much slower.”

“Katherine, you never killed me before,” I said slowly. “I’m not that easy to kill.”

“Well, no I never did it directly,” she said frowning. “I had Damon do it. I liked the poetry of it.”

“You what?” I asked. My mind seemed to have gone blank and couldn’t process the statement she’d just made. Katherine threw her head back and laughed. It was an evil sound that chilled me to the bone.

“You actually thought he’d kill you? He loved you. That’s why I had to make him kill you. Because he was supposed to love me. Me and only me. When he became a vampire my compulsion would have worn off.”

“He loved me,” I said quietly to myself.

“He was supposed to love me!” shouted Katherine sounding like a toddler throwing a tantrum. “Only me!” I could see her face contorting into one of evil. The Power surged up inside of her, its malevolence threatening to suffocate me. “He’s mine!”

Before I could speak Katherine sprang forward, gripping my shoulders. Her nails became claws and scratched at the fabric and skin. Her teeth sank into my neck and before I could struggle I was being pulled into unconsciousness by her Power.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, writing this I realized how much I just really hate Katherine. At least Katherine in the books.