World So Cold

Haunted

Finding a nice tree, I decided to lounge in it and fall asleep. It wasn’t the most comfortable place, it never would be. I would always have an aversion to wood. Sleep came quickly and easily. I’ve trained myself to sleep on command over the years. It’s come in handy on many occasions.

But this sleep was not peaceful. It was riddled with dreams of many shapes and forms. Many I did not understand or even try to. It seemed all complete and utter nonsense. But for some reason, I was afraid. I wanted to wake up. I wanted to open my eyes and see daylight. Even as a vampire, I wanted the protection of daylight. One dream stood out from the others though. It was more like a memory than a dream.

I was wearing an Italian Renaissance dress. It was rich gold color. The skirts swirled around my feet and the sleeves were cut. I had a tight corset on to show off my small waist. I had an intricately beaded bodice on that fastened with gold buttons to match the dress.

I glanced up from my dress to gaze at the elaborate room. Men and women crowded around the room, all as elaborately dressed as I. Well, not quite. I recognized the room instantly. It was my family’s ballroom. We held many parties in this room. This would not be the first or the last.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. Standing behind me was Stefan. He gave me a polite bow and I curtsied in return. Stefan led me to the dance floor where we easily joined the rest of the people around us. His father was trying to become friends with my father. It was almost painful to watch his desperate attempts. I was almost positive he had urged Stefan into dancing with me.

“You have such a lovely home,” said Stefan.

“Pardon me for being blunt but, I am not one for small or polite talk. Unlike many of the women that surround us I am capable of thinking of things other than what to wear to the next ball.” I smiled politely at him. His expression held surprise for a split second before turning into one of amusement and admiration.

“Well, what do you suppose we talk about,” queried Stefan turning us. His lips twitched begging to let a smile appear.

“Art,” I suggested. “I love paintings. My father has many of them.”

“Indeed,” said Stefan nodding. “I saw many of them on display as we came in. They are indeed quite beautiful.”

“Oh, but those aren’t even the best,” I whispered. I glanced around to see if anyone was listening. Fortunately they weren’t. “The best are in that hallway,” I said gesturing with a flourish of my hand to a dark, deserted hallway.

“I would love to see them sometime. There is a certain beauty in art.” I knew then that I would like Stefan. Most men could care less about the arts even in today’s time. They cared more about swords and hunting.

“We can go now if you’d like,” I said. Stefan looked ready to argue. It wasn’t right after all for us to leave the ball, especially if we were not chaperoned. I usually got around that last part. My servants have learned that they shouldn’t bother watching me. I was very independent in what I did.

“Don’t worry,” I assured him. “Nobody will notice and we won’t get in any trouble.” Still Stefan looked unsure. “I’m not going to seduce you into my bed,” I said smiling. A light blush crossed Stefan’s cheeks at the mention of it. “We’re going to look at paintings.”

I watched as Stefan mentally debated whether or not he should come with me. Finally he stiffly nodded. I could tell he didn’t agree with me completely but I was the hostess. Plus his father had probably wanted him to woo me. Turning down my offer probably wouldn’t be a good thing in his mind.

I turned towards the hall and nodded to all the people that greeted me, which was practically everyone. It was part of being from the hosting family and being almost royalty. It was dreadfully dull and bothersome. We reached the dark hallway unchallenged by anyone. Glancing back at everyone, no one was even looking in our direction. They all seemed to be dazzled by the band and lights in the room.

“Follow me,” I whispered and then disappeared into the darkness of the hall. I knew this place like the back of my hand. I had been here many times to admire the paintings. I had often sat through countless hours of studying each one and then rushing back to my room to see if I could recreate the brush strokes and design.

I could hear Stefan’s footsteps as he followed me down the hall. Both of ours were loud and almost echoed against the walls. It was a very hollow room. Coming to a stop I knew there was a torch and lighter to my right. I pulled it from its place and easily lit it, providing Stefan and I with some light. It lit up a small area around us but that was it. It was enough though to see the paintings and to navigate easier.

Luckily it was summer and the hallway was warm still. Otherwise I would have been shaking from cold. Nobody was going to keep a fire going in here when the party was in the other room. Stefan and I walked for a minute more before stopping at the first painting. “Why does your father keep them so far away from the guests?” asked Stefan as he admired the painting.

“My father does not like to show off how rich he is. He thinks its bad politics,” I said smiling at Stefan. “He wants the people to see them more of their equal than not. My mother on the other hand loves to show off the lifestyle she lives. Both though hate to have the family name smeared.”

Stefan nodded in understanding. His father was one involved in politics and was very strict on how things were done. He didn’t want his name tarnished either. They were of the nobility and his father wanted to keep it that way.

We moved onto the next painting and I was glad I was holding the torch. Its small flame cast a bit of warmth to my body and the glow from the light played on my face. I lit another torch for Stefan so he could better gaze at the paintings. The light cast intricate shadows on the plane of his face and I found myself pausing for a second to gaze at the beauty of it.

I showed Stefan more paintings as we moved down the hall and farther from the party. He’d politely comment on some but mostly we’d just lapse into a comfortable silence. It was not awkward like it would be with someone else. It was nice and quiet. Both of were content to just admire the beauty of the paintings.

“This is the last one,” I said stepping up to it. Stefan stood admiring it. I on the other hand moved a little farther down the hallway past the painting. There stood a portrait of my grandmother. She had been a remarkably strong woman. One I admired a lot. I missed her greatly. She took a large part in raising me. My mother blamed her for my independent streak.

I turned back around to Stefan so that we could go back to the party. We would surely be missed by now. Unfortunately he was nowhere to be seen. This was not what happened in my memory. In my memory Stefan and I then go back to the party and that’s where it ends. This is where events started to change.

“Stefan,” I called into the darkness that surrounded me. I was met by silence at first. Then I heard footsteps but they did not carry a light. Then they stopped before they reached the circle of light. I stood listening for any sounds or any sign of movement. After a minute of nothing I felt the hair’s on the back of my neck stand on end. This didn’t feel right and I wanted to get back to the party. I turned around for a last look at my grandmother when I met someone’s chest.

I gasped and stumbled ungracefully backwards. I dropped the torch in my surprise and the light went out. I was plunged into darkness. “I’m terribly sorry,” I said to nothing. “I didn’t see you there.” I should’ve seen them. The hallway was not that wide. And to have someone that close, you should feel their presence.

“It is quite alright,” they said. I instantly recognized the voice. Suddenly there was light again fueled by the lighting of the torch I dropped. They must have found it in the dark. The fire cast shadows over their face. As I saw their face, I relaxed some but became tense at the same time. My mind kept telling me this was wrong, this was bad.

“Damon, do not scare me like that,” I scolded lightly.

“Sorry,” he said with a smirk. I knew he didn’t mean it. He enjoyed making me jump and taking me by surprise. I glanced around nervously waiting for someone to find me suddenly. Surely my absence must be noticed by now. I was halfway hoping it was.

“What are you doing here?” I asked looking back at Damon. He hadn’t moved an inch.

“Finding you,” he said with the smirk still in place. His eyes danced with amusement.

“You found me. Now what will happen?” I asked nervously.

“Oh, I can think of a lot of things,” he said raising his eyebrows.

“Damon,” I gasped. I was appalled he could even think of something like that in my own family’s home and so blatantly. It was entirely rude and very disrespectful.

Damon set the torch in a holder that was nearby. It dimly lit our section of the hall. He did it casually, unaffected by my outburst. It took a lot to disturb Damon’s calm exterior. When he was done he stared at me with his dark, midnight eyes. I stared back. His eyes were always so captivating. They had a way of holding you in place, making you seem suspended in their depths.

Damon walked me backwards up against the wall. He put both arms on the sides of me to prevent my escape. He leaned in closely and I was almost afraid that he’d kiss me. But he paused inches from me and blatantly studied my face. I could feel his cool breath on my face and ached to press my lips on his but I dared not move.

“What is it about you?” he asked. “What makes you so appealing?” He seemed to be speaking more to himself than me. He moved my head swiftly to the side and exposed my neck. He traced the main artery in my neck with his finger. He repeated the gesture but this time with more force. He cut through my skin, just a small incision, but enough to draw blood. It started to leak through and run down my neck.

I had closed my eyes at the pain of the cut but an instinct older than time told me to open my eyes. As I did I saw Damon’s face in the darkness leering towards me. It had changed so that his eyes were a bloody red and fangs were exposed. He took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet smell of my blood. Slowly he lowered his head towards my neck, inching to bite me and take the vitality of me. Just before his lips made contact I suddenly felt a great force of relief.

I could now move and the first thing I did was push Damon back with as much force as I could. Surprisingly he stumbled back a few steps. I had caught him off guard and I was lucky. He was stronger than I because of his age. His face showed mild surprise for a second at the interruption. In another second it was grudging admiration. Then in another second both emotions were gone replaced by his usual emotionless mask. It would always amaze me how quickly he would flit from one to the other.

“Get away from me. Get out,” I growled at him. I could feel the fire of rage coursing through my body but it was dampened by the fear in my eyes.

“You wanted me to do it,” he taunted. “I can feel it.”

“No,” I said shaking my head. I knew in my heart that a part of me had. And it scared me. “You don’t belong here. Get out!” I said it forcefully almost stomping my foot like a petulant child in the process.

“Liar,” he accused his tone still taunting me. His eyes flashed with amusement at how worked up he was getting me. “You still want me.” His voice was a seductive purr, begging me to give in. An inch of desire stabbed at my heart and I found myself almost stepping forward. My eyes widened in fear and surprise that I would do that. That is until I realized it was him who was causing the reaction.

“Out!” I screamed in fury and sent a blast of Power along with it. I closed my eyes, multiplying the Power and forcing the wish to come true. After a couple seconds I calmed down and opened my eyes. Damon was nowhere to be seen. I was back in the main area of the party where people still danced oblivious to what had occurred. I was at the edge of the dancers talking to Stefan. It’s like I had been there the whole time. It was like Damon had been a dream in my dream, a skip in time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Damon has finally appeared but only in a dream.

So Juliet and Stefan dancing during the Italian Renaissance... I must say I love writing these flashback scenes. She's a lot more innocent here in my opinion.

And now I'm up to 50 readers and 10 subscribers along with two stars. You people are awfully quiet. I don't bite. I promise. I leave that for Juliet.