Dear Santa

Three of Three

Iggy spent that day trying desperately not to collapse into tears each time his mind wondered to Jack, which was far more often than he would have liked. Instead, Iggy tried to focus on other small tasks. He managed to bake five dozen cookies, called his mother and had a long conversation about whether or not he would be visiting later on in the week, sent out Christmas cards to everyone in his address book, and even bought a few things online.

Iggy didn’t think it would be a good idea to leave the apartment, in case Jack came back without a bit of warning, but somewhere around noon, Iggy realized he had used up most of his essential ingredients for dinner- he was completely out of milk, eggs, and a few other things he had planned on using that night. With a heavy sigh, Iggy dressed in his warmest clothes and ventured out into the frozen city.

He knew the streets of New York City as well as he knew the back of Jack’s hand- which was indeed far more than Iggy knew his own- and had no trouble hailing a taxi. Sleet was falling dismally from the sky as Iggy clambered into the taxi’s back seat. He politely informed the taxi driver that he needed to make his way a few blocks over, to a small grocery store called Maple’s.

Iggy had known the shop owner for years. She was an elderly woman, in her late fifties, whom he had met when he had first moved into the big city. At the time, Iggy had lived in a small, one room apartment, and Maple had been the landlady of the building. She had instantly befriended the young boy, and she had been giving him discounts at her store ever since. She had even met Jack a time or two, and she adored him almost as much as Iggy.

“Thank you!” Iggy exclaimed as the taxi driver pulled up to the curb. He fished some cash out of his wallet and handed it to the man up front, smiling for the first time that day. Iggy was sure that if anyone could cheer him up, or offer him any words of comfort, Maple would be that person.

He rushed inside the store, managing to get soaked to the bone. He knew he should have thought to bring an umbrella, and that his cashmere sweater was likely to be ruined, but at the moment, Iggy just didn’t care. He made his way to the back of the small shop, easily finding a door that simply read ‘Maple’s Office.’ He knocked twice and waited for an answer, knowing Maple could get cranky if he knocked too much.

“Come in!” came Maple’s shaky voice. She sounded a bit muffled, but Iggy suspected that was the fault of the heavy wooden door. He pried it open, waltzing inside and positively beaming at the sight of Maple seated at her desk as usual.

“Hi, Maple,” he said, shutting the door gently behind him. “How’re you?”

“Better, now that you’re here, sweetums,” Maple said, a smile creasing her wrinkled face. “Come gimme a big ole hug.”

Iggy stooped to hug the elderly woman, taking in the scent of her heavy perfume and generic shampoo. Maple’s hair was up in curlers, as was usual, and she was dressed in red sweatpants and a green Christmas sweater. “You look beautiful,” Iggy told her, leaning back against the desk as he pulled out of the hug.

“Why, that’s a lie and you know it,” Maple said, gently patting Iggy’s knee. “But don’t stop telling it to me.”

“You know I won’t,” Iggy said, smiling despite himself. If only Jack were here too, they could have given Maple the Christmas present Iggy had bought- a new set of curlers and a paint set. Maple was always going on about how she wanted to take up painting and sell her store.

“Where’s that boyfriend of yours?” Maple questioned, a sly look crossing her wizened face.

Iggy frowned, “He was supposed to be here by now, but all the flights here have been cancelled… I dunno if he’ll make it home for Christmas.”

“Is that so?” Maple asked, gesturing to someone behind Iggy.

Iggy spun around, his eyes widening in shock. Leaning against the door stood Jack, his carry-on bag on his shoulder and his suitcase on the floor at his feet. Tall and irresistibly handsome, Jack grinned, exposing brightly white teeth. Iggy stood still for just a moment before he flung himself into Jack’s waiting arms, wrapping his own around Jack’s neck.

“What are you doing here?” Iggy demanded, confusion apparent on his face.

“Well, I know you bake when you get worried,” Jack explained, chuckling as he let his hands rest on Iggy’s waist. “I thought I’d pick some things up for dinner before I went home.”

“Oh, Jack,” Iggy gushed, burying his face against his boyfriend’s muscular chest. He could almost feel hot tears working their way into his eyes, and he was determined not to cry yet again. Jack was home now, and everything was alright.

“If your friend doesn’t mind,” Jack started, throwing a glance towards Maple, who nodded, “I think we’d best get home. We’ve got lots of, er… catching up to do, don’t you think?”

Iggy nodded eagerly, leaning up and letting his lips press gently to Jack’s. Finally, after months and months apart, the two were back together. Everything was as it should be, and Iggy couldn’t have been happier.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, there you have it, folks. A cute little happy ending, no? (:

Unless you guys think I should expand and make a story with Jack and Iggy...? Let me know in the comments!

Oh, and be sure to check out my other stories as well. Crushed, Missing Time, Broken Wings