Status: Working Progress

Beauty and the Beast

Chapter 13

PE had been shit, I hadn’t understood anything the teacher had been talking about and he gave me a huge pile of work for everything I had missed from the beginning of the semester, which they called term, that doesn’t even make sense! What a stupid thing to call it! And if that wasn't a bad enough start to the day, the swarms of girls following me were. It was okay in lessons, as we were seated. Between lessons, on the other hand, was mayhem, I ended up having to pull up my hood and run along the corridors, not only avoiding the girls but also the teachers who were shouting remarks such as; 'No hoods in the halls please' ‘Stop running in the corridor!’

By lunch, I was absolutely whacked, no I'm not that lazy, unhealthy or unfit but seriously, try having groups of 10 or so girls chase you around constantly. I don't even have Kenny anymore to protect me, kinda made me think about how much I took him for granted, like they say: you never know what you've got til it's gone!

Back to lunch, I'd just got out a science lesson, part of PE we had to have biology lessons to help with our understanding. Why my PE teacher couldn’t teach us this I don’t know. Unfortunately the teacher actually resembled the stereotypical version of 'mad scientist'. At the end of the lesson, I ran out far too quickly, the opposite gender were bad enough, but mad scientists were creepier. I turned left down the corridor, that way seemed emptier, although I really had no idea where I was going to end up. I didn't even bother looking at my map the school gave me, it was useless. Absolutely useless. I just wanted to find Lyric, and eat lunch, just eat. I’d had 3rd and 4th period with her for Psychology, but I hadn’t seen her since break.

The corridor seemed surprisingly quiet for lunchtime, and I found myself enjoying the walk to the canteen rather than having to race through the hallways, it was just a relief for once! However, my enjoyment was cut short, by the sound of a bell, and I realised that whilst I'd been taking a slow stroll through the school, if I'd have walked faster I could have reached my destination by now, rather than having to face the reams of students who would be coming out their lessons now. I forgot about the bell. As I was pulling up my hood, and making sure that my hair would stay hidden, I heard the deathly cry of 'Look guys, it's Justin!'

It was at that point, that I ran. I felt as though I was at a horror movie, in which this scene was repeated time and time again. This time though, I really was going to escape, I ran down the stairs from the science block as fast as I could, and into what seemed to be an empty classroom on the right of the stairway. I slammed the door shut, and panted, never can you run down a long flight of stairs without panting. But it didn't take me long to realise I wasn't the only one out of breath, the quiet gasps of another presence filled the room, except it wasn't just one presence, but two.

“Adam?” I gasped. “Ellie, what are you guys doing here?”

I don't even know why I bothered asking that, it was plain to see what they'd been up to, Adam's tousled hair, and Ellie's saliva kissed lips were just enough to catch them in the act, and even more obvious when he replied with. “Tell anyone you saw us Bieber, and you're dead!”

“I'm not scared of you Adam.”

“Yeah, you might not be scared of me, but when the entire school population hates you, you'll be scared.”

“Scared of what, exactly?” I retorted, Lyric deserved to know what had been happening between those two, and I was determined to tell her.

“Well, seems like you haven't met everybody around here yet, I assure you there's some people you don't want to get on the wrong side of, or that pretty little face of yours might not be so pretty.”
I resisted the urge to gulp, his threat should have been meaningless, but the sincerity in his voice told me it wasn't, and yes, I can admit it, I Justin Bieber was scared, well worried. Even as I thought of all the people I had met at Lyric’s party like Rudy, who I counted as a friend and I was sure he counted me as one, I wasn’t sure he’d side with me. I was more scared of him than Adam, but still, what if I made an enemy out of Rudy because of Adam? I didn’t want that.

“Can I just add as well Justin, whose Lyric going to believe, you or her best friend?” Ellie's voice spoke out, I hadn't expected her to talk at all to be honest, she didn't seem like the type to get involved with threats and violence, but then again, she didn't seem like the type to go kissing face with her best friends soon to be ex-boyfriend. “Think about it Justin, she'll just think you're lying, and then not only will the whole school hate you, but Lyric as well.”

For some reason unbeknownst to me that hurt more, I didn't care when Adam threatened to make the whole of the student body hate me, but Lyric on the other hand, that pulled on a heart string
“So what's it gonna be?” Adam smirked, he knew he'd won, and I couldn't do anything other than surrender.

“I won't say anything.” I murmured.

“What was that?” He snarled.

“Look, I won't say anything!” I spoke up this time, making sure he heard me, the quicker I agree with him, the quicker I can get out of here.

“Good, just remember though Bieber, if you do, I'll be waiting, along with some friends of mine.” he winked, and it reminded me of the mafia. I half expected him to crack his knuckles, and call up his 'big guy Vinnie' to come along, and watch the show, but this wasn't a movie, it was real life, and I'd just agreed to keep quiet the fact that Lyric was sharing Adam with her best friend. I turned sharply on my heels and left the room with urgency, I paced the corridor, something I did when I was frustrated. I was particularly glad that no other year groups were allowed in the corridors at lunch, leaving me to pace, and trying to figure a way out of this dilemma.

After I'd paced enough to burn a hole in my shoes, I figured thinking on an empty stomach wouldn't help, so I made my way to the canteen to get some lunch. As I queuing, I noticed Lyric sat with Maria and Kayleigh, laughing on a table, a few metres from where I was. She does look pretty when she laughs. It was at that moment we made eye contact, and she made a gesture with her hand beckoning me over, yet I realised I couldn't face her after what had just happened, the guilt was eating up at me enough, without having to look into her eyes and lie, telling her an excuse as to why I was late for lunch. I smiled back at her, shook my head and mouthed sorry, whilst grabbing my pasta I'd ordered, and turning to walk away. I found a peaceful spot to sit and enjoy my food, well peaceful enough, it was raining outside, so not many people were out in the open, but enough were to want a few autographs and pictures. I found the rain represented my mood, I felt like a rain cloud at the minute, ready to burst, but I had to keep it in, Lyric couldn't know. It was at the point the end of lunch bell went, and after heading to tutor, I made my way to English literature with Lyric.

I headed into the classroom, and found a seat at the front, no one likes sitting at the front, and I'm guessing Lyric was no different, so hopefully she'd choose not to sit by me. However, this wasn't the case, as I heard a bang on the table, Lyric's bag as she dropped it onto the wood surface and proceeded to grab her pencil case, and sit next to me.

“So what were you doing at lunch, that meant you couldn't come join us?” She asked.

“It doesn't matter.” I mumbled, it wasn't a lie though, and that's what counted right?

“Met a girl have you?” She nudged me playfully.

“No, like I said, it doesn't matter,” I replied sternly. I didn't want to annoy Lyric, but right now I'd just prefer it if she let me keep myself to myself, that's all I wanted.

“Okay, I was just asking.”

“Well next time, don't!” I snapped. I regretted that the instance it flew out my mouth, I never meant to snap, especially not at Lyric, she didn't deserve it, but before I could apologise she grabbed her bags and moved without uttering a single word, I turned back to look at her to say sorry, but she just answered with a simple 'forget it'