Status: A Short Story; Completed.

An Ancient Lover's Game.

Admiration.

With a flamboyant flick of her wrist which was followed shortly after by a twirl, her dancing dress had shown flashes of unusual color. Varied hues of turquoise and violet were revealed underneath the several layers as she twirled with such elegance everyone on the street had turned their heads with curious gazes. Few had even paused their cars to see the commotion.
She was dressed in such admiring silk that none knew how she had obtained it. It looked so extravagant, so beautiful, so different. Her thin wrists were covered in sea shell bracelets that rattled as she danced alone. Her hair was let loose into brown ringlets that seemed to almost magically flow down to her ribcage. The girl could not have been any older than twenty two, which most assumed she naturally was.
She was dancing in the center of the sidewalk with graceful movements. No one could copy them as hard as they tried. Her perfectly eye shadowed eyes were closed the whole duration of her time there, scared if she opened them, her own world she created in her head would fade. It was a risky gamble just to even peek at her audience who were staring in awe and wonder. So she dare not to. Who was this girl who resembled the oceans tides in her blue colors and shell accessories?
The way her hips moved, the flow of her hands and feet as one, the way her long ringlet hair would sway in unison with her thoughts was very elegant to the watchers and spectators. No one had seen anything like it. Her beautiful pink lips would smile as she would reminiscence about something. Something only she could possibly think of at that period of time. None of the onlookers knew why she was dancing in the middle of Haight Street at seven o'clock in the evening. The sun had set and the only light available was the street light strategically placed above her moving body.
No one knew why. And no one knew her. Except for one of the admirers looking with such attraction and lust it was hard to control any temptations he may have in his heart and thoughts.
The boy knew who this beautiful woman was. It was easy to tell by the look he was giving her that screamed of passion and bashfulness. Maybe it was a boyfriend? Maybe just a proud sibling or relative. No one knew however, too caught up in the dance she produced.
He watched her swaying hips, her feet patterns, and even the way she would part her lips to almost speak, but close them again. He was almost entranced by this elegant girl.
They had grown up together as childhood friends, almost attached at the hip. There was nothing to stop the ultimate duo from accomplishing what they set their hearts to. Everyone knew how close they were, and never bothered to question it. Some even thought they were blood siblings. But throughout their high school years, their friendship started to crack.
The ringlet girl had found her passion in dancing, while the average boy found his calling in skateboarding. The two different subjects didn't tear them apart at first. What did tear them apart however, was when she admitted some strong feelings for him.
He was scared. He was worried. He was a coward.
The boy politely declined his mutual feelings toward her, scared of a relationship and their future. He was never one to think things through, which was his weak point she had always said. Their friendship broke apart after this confession. She stopped talking to him, and the average boy was too embarrassed at his rejection to partake in fixing things.
They had spent the rest of their school years separate. The ringlet girl with her new-found girl friends, and the average boy with his new skater group. In the beginning, they would awkwardly wave but as time went on, she didn't bother to keep pretending she was satisfied with him. In fact, she hated to see him at all. So she moved on from her first love, burying her feelings in the past.
The average boy however, never threw his away. He continued to become infatuated with her, no matter how much she changed. At Senior prom night four years ago, the last time he would possibly see her with an excuse, he almost spoke his deep words to her. But hid away in the supply closet the rest of that night when he saw how beautiful she was that night.
He had searched everywhere for the ringlet girl, bringing him to her on this fateful night. A few of his friends knew where she was so he had followed their good intentions of telling him this information. Tonight, he decided, would be the night he confessed everything, fearful of losing her forever. This would be his only chance to correct his mistakes. To correct any misunderstanding he had given her seven years ago. Maybe she felt the same way he did. He was hoping she had not gotten over him, like he had not for her. Tonight would be the night he got his answer.
The ringlet girl stopped dancing and opened her majestic green eyes. He couldn't help but gasp slightly; they were as stunning as ever. Her eyes screamed of energy and livelihood. How had he possible have given that up before? He couldn't fathom.
Clutching his skateboard for encouragement, he stepped forward through the crowd. He had only made it one step before he was stopped in his sluggish tracks. A different boy with short blond hair had approached her with a warm smile that showed familiarity. The average boy still clung onto the hopes of him just being an acquaintance or another admirer he was told she had often.
But his heart must've shattered into a million pieces when the ringlet girl stood on her tip toes and gave such a meaningful kiss to the blond boy. She hadn't kept her admiration for her childhood friend at all. She had moved on like a trooper.
The average boy should have expected this from the very beginning. Such an extraordinary girl like herself could not have been missed on another man's radar. He had waited too long.
The average boy slunk back into the crowd, almost in tears since the worst possible scenario in his head had unfolded before his eyes. He shouldn't have been so naive and foolish. There was no one to blame but himself.
He got a running start, hopped up onto his old skateboard, and rode of down the sidewalk with a sunken heart.