Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

A Welcome Distraction

After having a fun time at Prom, it was time to focus on the Combine. I’ve spent hours at the gym to shape up for it since a few scouts believed I was a little overweight. I’ve never really focused on my eating habits but if this will get me closer to being in the NHL, then cut off the Cokes and Doritos. Plus attending the Combine would reunite me with Steven and Luke in Toronto. We had a fun time during the media tour in Detroit so now that I’m closer to home

Before packing up for the nearly hour-long drive to Toronto, I’ve stopped by Janelle’s house. I’ve been thinking a lot since Prom and what almost happened. Yeah she looks amazing but she’s Janelle: witty, sarcastic, and icy Janelle. But as soon as I saw Brittany the next day, I made up for lost time with her.

After letting myself into her house, I walked into her room to see her reading.

“The Goth Princess is still reading ‘Sense & Sensitivity’.”

“Shut it, Donut!” Janelle smiled as she put her glasses and book down. She’s relaxing on her bed as she lets me have some space to sit on it. “How’s my favorite defenseman doing?”

“I’m feeling alright but I’m checking out my friend to see if she’s okay.” I gave her a bear hug. “You look really good with the hair. Long suits you better than short.”

“It’s tough to come up with a valedictorian speech. So I’m reading to clear my mind off of it.” She laughed as she put on her favorite Hello Kitty sweater.

“I was wondering if it’s alright with you if you want to go to Toronto with me right now. I have the Combine and since you’re moving up there in the fall--”

“Wait, you’re asking me to go to the Combine with you? What about Brittany?”

“She’s coming along. Plus you can finally meet Luke and Steven there.”

“So you’re saying you want Brittany and I to kill some time and act like bimbo hockey WAG wannabes while you and your boys are put into a 5-day boot camp?”

“If you put it that way, yeah. Besides, the real fun starts tomorrow with that strength test. Come on, it will be a fun road trip. It gives us some time to spend together before graduation. Pretty please with a cherry on top?”

Two hours later, Janelle, Brittany, and I were driving to Toronto for the Combine. After I got the okay from her grandparents, I had Janelle sitting comfortably in the backseat. She stayed quiet the whole time, listening to her IPod, while Brittany and I talked. I reassured her that everything will turn out great as I am planning to play matchmaker for her.

“So who are you planning to match her up with during dinner?” Brittany asked as she was changing the station.

“Well Steven is not her type. Even though she said he was cute, she would chew him alive for being too blonde.” I laughed at the thought of her and Stamkos together. He’s a bigger preppy than I am. “I don’t trust Luke at all. I know they have been talking online but he’s too pretty. I know Janelle hates guys who are vain. Tyler and Pietro have girlfriends so cross them off. And I don’t know Bogosian well enough to set her up with him.”

“Then who are you choosing?” Brittany looked behind her and sees Janelle’s sleeping. “And what are you and I going to do after dinner?” She put her hand down my pants. Brittany and I had sex but I wonder if our entire relationship is based solely on sex. I mean the moment I saw Brittany after Prom, our clothes came off. Not that I don’t like having sex with her but she’s wanted it all the time in the past few weeks.

“I’m sure she’ll like the person I’m setting her up on a date with.” I smiled but removed her hand off my jeans.

After checking into the hotel, we’ve met downstairs to get ready for dinner. Seeing Luke and Steven again was great. Despite playing in different cities, we’ve kept in touch with each other. It was like the Three Stooges all over again. Luke and Steven gave a nod of approval for both Brittany and Janelle with Luke kissing Janelle’s hand. She gave Luke a shy smile but her smile grew more when my surprise guest came into the lobby.

“Hey, Claude.” I walked over and gave Claude Giroux a handshake. Claude played with us at the World Juniors and while he’s older than us and was already drafted, he was a fun guy to hang out with. I figured since he’s French and Janelle’s half-French, they would get along.

“Nice seeing you again, Drew. Hey, Luke. Steven.” Claude shakes Luke and Steven’s hands before walking over to the girls. “I guess you’re Janelle.” Claude takes her hand and kisses it. "Vraiment très belle, j'dirais." (Very beautiful I must say)

“Merci mais j'ai vraiment l'air de rien. J'vois pas pourquoi tu perdrais ton temps avec une fille comme moi." (Thanks, I’m flattered. I really don't see what you would do with a girl like me)

“She’s from Quebec.” Steven interrupted as Claude took in the mental note.

We’ve all went to TGI Fridays for dinner and had some laughs there. Steven and Luke were their usual selves, joking and eating everything on sight. Claude was trying to make conversation with Janelle but it seems like she was not in the mood. Meanwhile, Brittany attempts to grab my crotch during dinner but I kept on pushing her away. I was going to wait for that until later.

“You know guys. You shouldn’t be eating that if they’re going to torture you tomorrow.” Janelle said while eating her burger.

“Yeah, Janelle’s right.” Claude added. “They really kill you out there during those physical tests.”

“Don’t worry. My Drew is going to be just fine.” Brittany added, while rubbing her hands all over me. “Besides, he lost 25 pounds and is mighty fine now.”

“Get a room.” Janelle shouted, looking a little annoyed. She got up and grabbed her cane. “Claude, will you please walk me back to the hotel? I’m feeling tired and really need to finish up my speech.”

“Sure.” Claude got up and walked her out the restaurant.

“Hmm seems like your matchmaking skills worked for Claude and Janelle.” Luke smiled as he looks at them walked out the door. “However, I wish you set her up with me.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Oooh baby.” Brittany moaned as I got off of her. We were both out of breath after the hot quickie in our room. I was able to get two rooms for the weekend; one for us and one for Janelle. Our rooms are down the hall from each other so she wouldn’t be able to hear Brittany and I have sex. “Let’s do it again, babe.” Brittany said as she was rubbing my chest. “You know I’ve always had a fantasy of having sex with two hockey players while in uniform.”

“I’m worn out, Britt.” I laughed as I pulled my dark hair back and try to wipe off the sweat off my head. I removed my condom and placed in the trash before cuddling with Brittany. “At least I was able to burn off my dinner with that.”

“I know babe.” Brittany placed her hands on my chest. “You think you’ve made a successful match with Janelle? She looked like she wasn’t completely enjoying herself during dinner.”

“Well she walked out with Claude.” While I noticed Janelle and Claude having most of their conversation in French, I do sense some sadness from her. After the draft in a couple of weeks, we’re going to go our separate ways: she’s staying in Ontario and I’m going to places unknown. Then there was Prom and how we had a great time together yet things I’ve said might’ve been leading her on. “But it wouldn’t matter. She’s a big girl. She can take care of herself.” I then changed the subject from Janelle to us. “I am wondering Britt, when I graduate and get drafted, what will happen to us?”

“Easy, I’ll be a Senior and you’ll be drafted in the NHL!” Brittany kissed my nose. “Now I can say I’m dating an NHLer. Let’s just think of now and how great things are between us. And based on what’s going on down there,” Brittany lift up the sheets and saw what I was packing. “Things are getting better by the day.”

“I’m going to get some ice.” I got up and put my shorts and tee on. “I need something to cool off the bottles of water.” I left the room and was heading to the ice machine. I thought about what Brittany said. I do care about her. After all, I’ve been dating her for nearly a year now. But I am thinking about what she brings to the relationship besides the great sex. Is it worth keeping her around after I’m drafted? Should I test the dating pool before I settle? Funny thing is that I never told Brittany that I love her. I’m not even sure I am in love with her.

I was ready to head back to my room when I saw Luke walking down the hall. He looks like he was at the gym getting a quick workout before heading to bed for the Combine tomorrow.

“Cooling off from your energizer bunny, Doughty?” Luke asked with a sly grin.

“Shut it, Schenn! I’m just getting some ice. And Britt’s not a bunny.”

“Come on, Doughty. How can you be so blind?” Luke wrapped his arm around me. “Just everything about her screams out ‘puck bunny’. I’ve called since World Juniors camp. Plus she was grabbing Stammers’ knee during dinner.”

“How do you know about that?” Then Luke showed me the text that Steven sent during dinner. “Oh really, Luke.”

“How’s Janelle? I haven’t seen her since Claude took her back to the hotel from TGI Fridays.”

“She’s probably making out with Giroux for all I care.” I scuffed as I was walking back to my room.

“Jealous, much.”

“I’m not jealous. I just want her to be happy. That’s why I set her up with Giroux.”

“Well I doubt she would have made out with him if she was the one who got her panties up in a bunch by saying ‘get a room’ during dinner.” Luke took my ice bucket and pointed to Janelle’s room down the hall. “I would just talk to her. And if you don’t, I will.”

“You’re not getting anywhere need to her.”

“Fine, I won’t put the moves on her.” Luke pats me on the back. “But it’s very obvious you have feelings for her.”

“You got it wrong. We’re friends. She may not look like the typical girl you and I would hang out with but she’s a great girl.”

“Then if you’re friends, check and see if she’s alright. I’ll hold the ice bucket!” Luke took the ice bucket as I walked towards her room. I was ready to knock when I hear voices from the other side. It seems like she had Claude with her in the room. I put my ear to the door and hear what was going inside.

"Hey, ce film là est vraiment nul.” (Oh my, that movie suck.) Claude said in French. “Es-tu sûr que c'est ça le pire film de tous les temps ?"”(Are you sure this is the worst movie of all time?)

“Oh oui.” (Yeah it is). Janelle replied to Claude. “"Troll 2" est tellement poche qu'il en est drôle à regarder. Je me souviens, l'été passé, Drew et moi on a pas arrêté de l'écouter et on n'arrêtais de se dire la réplique ‘oh my God, they’re eating her and they’re going to eat me’ line. (’Troll 2’ is so bad, it’s too funny to watch. I remember Drew and I watched this movie for the heck of it last summer and we couldn’t stop reciting the ‘oh my God, they’re eating her and they’re going to eat me’ line.”)

“It seems like you and Drew are very close. Different but very close. I’ll let you get some sleep.” I hear Claude saying that as he was about to reach for the door. I stepped back pretending I wasn’t eavesdropping on their conversation. As Claude closed the door, he saw me pretending I was walking down the hall. “If you want to talk to her, you can go ahead.” Claude gave me one of her room keys he sneaked out of the room.

“Why are you giving me that?” I wondered.

“Because she needs someone like you right now. Plus by the looks of it, she likes you.” We’ve talked for a few minutes before Claude walked down the hall and went into the elevator.

I thought for a moment before I opened the door. When I went in, the room is dark, noticing she already went to sleep. I was going to go back to my room but couldn’t. I wanted to make sure she was alright. I sat near the edge of the bed and watched her sleep for a moment. She looks like she’s in peace, that nothing is bothering her. I brushed a piece of her highlighted hair and put it behind her ear. I thought about the conversations I’ve had with Brittany, Claude, and Luke tonight. Should I break up with Britt? Should I just date around? Is there something there with Janelle? Wait, it can’t be. Janelle’s my friend. If Luke asked her the same thing, she would’ve laughed it off. She’ll probably go and date him instead. A part of me wonders what it would be like to kiss her. We had a moment at Prom but this time I stared at her lips in great detail. It wasn’t too full or too thin, it was just right. I wanted to lean over but I couldn’t. She’s my friend and I am not willing to sacrifice my relationship with Brittany and friendship with Janelle for a simple kiss. Plus, I remember what she said at Prom about never really being kissed before. I left the room key by the nightstand and left the room without waking her up. I looked at the door for a moment before turning away wondering of what could have been.
♠ ♠ ♠
Characters
Claude Giroux

Next update tomorrow.