Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

Leaving On A Jet Plane

“You did what?” Rene screamed as we were picking up something to eat. It’s been days since All-Star Weekend, but I still couldn’t forget what happened at the gazebo. .

“I kissed him.” I opened my bottle of water and started to drink it.

“But I wanted you to kiss Luke. He’s so yummy and boyishly cute.”

“Not Luke! Drew.”

“Drew? You mean that Inigo Montoya look-alike you’re friends with from the Kings? Damn girl you and your hockey players.”

“Rene, I’m not a puck slut!” I started to think back what had happened at my grandmother’s gazebo. One minute we were talking and thanking each other, the next thing he kissed me. I know I gave him a brief kiss at the Draft, but that was a kiss of appreciation. This kiss was completely different. It was gentle and passionate and exciting all at the same time. It was the perfect kiss. I’m still shaking from what had happened. “I don’t know what’s happening to between Drew and I. I just don’t.”

“What did you tell him?” Rene asked.

“I told him it wouldn’t work. He lives in LA and I live in Toronto and needed to be here.”

“Worst rejection ever! You know people do go into long distance relationships.” Rene laughed as he had a piece of his sushi.

“It’s not that. He’s a hockey player and they travel all the time and have a different girl in every city. He’s having a great time in his life while I’m trying to figure out my own life. Plus I told him all the cut and dry details about my past which left me emotionally drained.” I looked at my sushi for a moment and couldn’t eat it.

“Janelle, you want me to be honest with you? Then again I am always honest with you.”

“Shoot.”

“You’re a fucking hot mess!” Rene stated. “Ever since you moved here, you’ve been miserable. Maybe it’s working at Tim Hortons or school or retiring from skating or even Drew, but you’re not happy. Maybe you’re a little better because you finally faced your past but you’re back here; unemployed, not skating, and hating school. Janelle, I love you like a sister but Toronto’s not the place for you.”

“Wow, I didn’t expect that out of you.” I knew Rene was right. I wasn’t happy at all in Toronto. I thought moving up here would be great but it wasn’t.

“As for Drew, if he did kiss you, it must’ve meant something to him. Maybe he won’t fit the typical player stereotype. Give him a chance, girl!”

“I just don’t know how I feel about him.”

“Well you kissed him, right? There’s your answer.” Rene may speak the truth but this one I need to figure it out on my own.

After dinner, we went back to the apartment and saw my charging cell phone’s voicemail alarm went off. I rushed over to get it, hoping it was Drew. Instead, it was my skating coach in Guelph. I listened to the message and my mouth dropped. I had to replay it a couple of times before finally putting the cell phone down.

“What’s wrong, baby girl?” Rene asked, getting ready to go to work at the club, dressing like Lady Gaga. He’s currently in a Lady Gaga phase.

“Would you hate me if I leave here tonight?”

“No. Where are you going?” Rene asked as he was putting his wig on.

“LA.”

Next thing I know I was grabbing everything from the apartment and placing them into my trunk of my car. I have to leave tonight because I don’t want to leave my car behind. I know it’ll take nearly three days to get to California.

“Janelle, what are you doing?” Luke shouted as I was packing up. He had a game tonight and thought he would go out and try to hook up with someone after that.

“Oh hi Luke. I have to go.”

“Where? You want me to go with you.”

“You can’t. I’m heading to LA.”

“To get Drew, right?”

“No. Just for something. I know it’s sudden but I’ll call you once I’m there.” I grabbed him and took him into a hug. I know I’m going to miss having Luke around but I can’t miss this chance. “You look down. What’s wrong?”

“Me? No I’m fine. Make sure you call.”

“And also… don’t tell Drew. At least not now until I’m settled over there.” I leaned close to me and kissed his cheek before getting into the car. There’s a long road ahead but hopefully it’s the road to happiness.