Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

She's A Freak?

My sessions with Janelle have been a backbreaker for me. We agreed to meet up at a local coffee shop every morning before school to make sure my grades goes up. We’ve been very professional throughout; not going beyond learning proper pronunciation and the like. She has been a great help so far. I usually expect Goths to be very emo and anti-social but she seems willing to help me. I guess helping me is a day closer of getting rid of me. I guess I should take what I can get.

During the school day, we continue to not speak to each other at all. We even wouldn’t acknowledge each other in the halls. I would stick to my team mates and she would be alone with her IPod.

Before my Spanish midterm at Ms. Gomez’ class, I talked to my classmate Sammy. Outside of my Storm teammates, he’s my only friend at this new school. I wanted to see what Janelle’s story is all about.

“You mean ‘Freakelle’?” Sammy raised his eyebrows as we talked before our midterm. “What you wanna know her?”

“I don’t know.” I whispered back while I was replying a text from one of my teammates who were in another class under my desk. “Her locker’s below mine and she doesn’t seem like the rest of the girls at this school.”

“Because she’s a freak, Drew.” Sammy pats me on the back. “Besides, there are plenty of hot babes at this school. This is O-Double L, the epicenter of hot babes in Guelph!”

“Yeah, Sammy, I’m very aware of how hot the girls are here. After all I went on dates with few of the girls here. But what makes Janelle a freak?”

“Come on. Just look at her. I’m surprised they didn’t suspend her for the hair. A lot of people are still in shocked that she currently holds the highest GPA in our class. Then again, with no friends and no life, I’m also not surprised that’s how she spends her off time. She’s a freakin’ loner and a loser.” As Sammy continues to talk about how much she’s a freak, I’m learning more about her. So underneath the heavy dye and heavy dark makeup is a nerd. I mean nerds would be the ones who would be working at a place such as the tutoring centre. She doesn’t fit that mold at all.

“Texting love letters to each other?” Ms. Gomez interrupted us as she gave us our Spanish midterm.

“I was asking Sam for a pen.” I quickly put my cell phone away and showed her the pen.

“I’m sure you’ll be crying to Senor Watson if you don’t pass this midterm, Senor Doughty.”

“Touche, Drew.” Sammy laughed before turning his attention to his paper. I know I’m going to pass this. I have to.

The next day I was walking to my locker, only to see Janelle there. It seems like she was getting her books for her Pre-Cal class. I’ve received my Spanish midterm and passed. Not only did I passed, but got an “A-minus”. I wasn’t expecting such an improvement but I’ve just finished my Spanish midterm and felt very confident about it. I’m not expecting an “A” but anything is an improvement.

“Did I tell you not to be seen with me during school hours?” Janelle whispered as she was putting her IPod away in her locker.

“I just wanted to show you this.” I gave her my midterm and saw a nod of approval. “Really, Janelle, thank you for everything.” I smiled as I was grabbing my things out of my own locker.

“Well that’s nice. I’m glad you did well.” She gave me my test back while keeping a straight face.

“Hey, I was wondering we should celebrate. How about we meet up at that coffee shop after my game tonight? It’s my treat.” I smiled

“Damn it. You’re such a typical hockey player.” Janelle muttered before rolled her eyes and closed her locker room. “What did I told you about this? You’re not gaining a date out of me by helping you.”

“It’s not a date, Janelle. I just to tell you thank you for helping me.” I leaned closer so no one can hear us what we were saying. “Please, Janelle?”

“I have to work anyway, Drew.” She began walking away from me. “Anyway, good luck with your game and… with everything.” She looked at me for a moment before going to her class.

My billet family and I attended a figure skating event the next night in Kitchener. We don’t have a game for another 3 days; however, our billet dad suggested that we should go to this skaters showcase in town. He thought maybe watching figure skaters can improve my skating ability. Plus, it was something to do that night without my teammates or some girl trying to get a date with me. While Southwestern Ontario is hockey central, they do have a couple of figure skaters making their mark among the ranks in the region. However, I can’t stop thinking about how Janelle turned me down. I may not be the biggest smooth operator when it comes to girls but I don’t think I was ever turned down, even if it’s an innocent thank you dinner.

Just when I was about to hit the bathroom, the announcer called out the next performer onto the ice. However, I saw a familiar face with black hair on the ice, in a skating costume. It was a complete opposite of what I’m used of seeing her in.

“No fucking way.” My mouth opened as I see Janelle skate.

The same girl who has been tutoring me for the past few weeks is a figure skater? I couldn’t believe it at all. Usually, figure skaters are prim and proper and icy. Janelle is anything but… except for the icy part. She was skating to Mandy Moore’s “Only Hope” in an ice blue costume than shows off her body without being too exposed. She skated with a lot of speed and landed all her jumps. After her performance, everyone gave her a standing ovation. She still kept an icy face but bowed with appreciation before stepping off the ice. The more I’m learning about this girl, the more I want to really know her story.

After the show was over, I told my billet family to go ahead without me as I want to stay for a few minutes. I see Janelle signing some autographs for a few young fans and taking some pictures. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to surprise her. However, when she looked up, she looked at me with horror.

“What are you doing here?” She screamed. “How did you--- why are you here?” She quickly ran off to the locker room, thinking I was that Jason Voorhees or Freddy Krugger. I ran over to the door but it was locked.

“Janelle, open up! Come on!” I kept knocking on the door, hoping she would open it. “You can’t be hiding in there forever. Just open the door, Janelle.”

“Go away, you douche! Just go!” Janelle shouted from the other side. “How did you know I was here? Were you spying on me?”

“No, I wasn’t. My billet family and I attended the show and didn’t even know you were performing. I didn’t know you were a skater. Honest.” At that point, she opened the door, still looking terrified. “So that’s why you turned me down.”

“You don’t understand.” Janelle had a tissue in her hand, appeared to be crying from behind the door. “You wouldn’t understand, Drew.”

“Then make me understand. I can stay here all night, waiting to tell me about this.”

“I don’t think your billet parents would like that.”

“Then how about this. Once we’re in Guelph, you meet me at the coffee shop and you tell me everything. And if you don’t, I will track you down, even while you’re sleeping. Conpendre?” I wasn’t going to back down on this. Goth Girl by day, Ice Princess by night? This only happens in movies.

“Fine. Whatever. I still can’t believe you actually drove all the way to Kitchener to see me skate.” She began to walk away before publicly let out a bit of her anger.

“See you in Guelph, Goth Princess! Remember I got your number.” I shouted as she continued to walk away.

“Fuck you, Donut! And I’m a fuckin’ emo, you fuckin’ dick!” She sticks her middle finger out from behind walking out there door. Her young fans watched in shock.

“She was my Spanish tutor.” I looked at the poor kids before walking out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Characters
Sammy Watson