Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

Toepick!

After our long night of chatting about everything, our study sessions have been more relaxed. Instead of strictly being all about Spanish, we were talk about my team, her skating, school bullshit, and just life in general. What started off as a jock scared to be caught dead with an emo turned into two people becoming good friends. In school, Janelle continues to maintain that “goth/emo loner” persona, but was a total riot during our study sessions.

We were approaching the end of the school year and our studying sessions were about to end. My grades in Spanish improved tremendously, getting “As” and “Bs” since the midterm. I know she doesn’t want me to take her out on a date. I couldn’t think of a better way to really thank her than taking her to the Junior Prom as friends.

I’ve stopped by her skating club across town where she trains. She told me that in order to get funding for her skating, she teaches young kids how to skate. Today, she was teaching the kids how to do a spin. Janelle saw me from the boards and gave me a wave. At that point, those kids skated towards me as if I was Santa Claus.

“Oh my gosh. May I have your autograph, Drew?” One of the kids gleefully asked. “You’re my favorite Stormie.”

“Can you sign my Storm jersey, Drew?” Another skater, a boy no older than 7, added.

“Drew, my big sister loves you.” A young girl in a pink skater costume asked. Suddenly everyone was asking for my autograph. Even though my team was eliminated in the playoffs a few weeks ago, people asking for autographs are still a frequent occurrence. Janelle laughed from her spot, seeing her students going ape crazy for a guy who hasn’t been drafted by the NHL yet.

“Already gaining a fan club, eh Donut?” Janelle continued to laugh as she skated towards me by the boards. “What you bring you here and interrupting my spinning session? Oh you wanted to learn how to spin. How sweet.”

“Actually, I just wanted to ask you something school related.”

“Really? I thought school’s going to end in another few weeks.”

“I know that. I was wondering for all the help you gave me with Spanish; allow me to be your escort to the Junior Prom.” I bowed like I was perfect gentleman in front of her students. The kids then “ooh” and “aahh” of the sight.

“Drew, I already told you about that.”

“But we’re just going as friends, no strings attached. It’s just two friends enjoying some time together before school’s over. I won’t bite.” I found some masking tape and taped my mouth around it. The kids had a good laugh about it.

“What about—“

“Come on.” I took the tape off of my mouth and spoke. “It’s not like you have a competition or anything like that. You even said you have skating camp in a couple of months in Barrie. It’s just one night without skating.” Suddenly her students were begging her to take the offer, saying things like “just go” or “he’s so cool, say yes”. “So what do you say, Goth Princess?”

“Not in front of the kids, Donut!” Janelle slapped my arm and then waved her black polished finger at me. “But only under one condition.”

“Oh don’t tell me you’re going to hunt me down for crashing your class.”

“No. You’re going to stay for the rest of the class and skate with my students.” Janelle laughed as she skated over to grab some figure skates. “So you know, Donut, we’re not just doing spins. We’re doing jumps!” She hand me the pair of skates and laughed. “Toepick!”

“This isn’t ‘The Cutting Edge’, Janelle!”

“Then you’re going to the dance alone, Donut.” Janelle skates away with a smirk on her face.

“Fine, I’ll put the freakin’ figure skates on.” I walked over and put the skates on. I don’t think I have ever worn a pair of figure skates in my life. They feel a lot tighter than hockey skates but hey this is the only way to get Janelle out of her shell. “Okay, I am ready.” I skated towards her laughing students and let her continue her class. She was teaching a simple “scratch spin”, in which I became very dizzy very quickly. Then she was doing simple jumps, however I kept on falling on my butt. The kids had a great time seeing me falling down every single time.

“Okay, Drew, you’re done for today. What time you want to meet up?” Janelle reached her hand out and helped me up, still unable to stop laughing. I hope the bruise on my ass is worth it.
♠ ♠ ♠
had to add in that "Cutting Edge" reference!