‹ Prequel: Goth & Donut
Status: expect a chapter a day until New Years... bringing the story back to Mibba

Chasing Claudia

Montreal, Quebec

“Hey did you see that homerun Jeter hit?” My brother Brayden laughed at my boys as we rode on the subway.

“I think you were the only one who was excited over that.” My buddy Steven laughed, as my other friends joined in.

“Hey I have to cheer against the Jays!”

“You were cheering for that poor Jays fan who fell on the floor.” My other friend and future groom Drew chimed in.

“Shut it, Jays fan.” I looked my younger brother and our friends as we relax on the Metro. We decided to go out drinking before heading off to Italy for 10 days for Drew’s bachelor trip. Steven, PK, Drew, Brayden, and I have been talking about this vacation all through the hockey season despite playing in Tampa, Montreal, LA, and Toronto respectfully. When Drew announced that he was getting married this summer, we decided to combine our trip into a bachelor vacation.

We continued our chat about what happened at the Yankees-Blue Jays game we saw at some sports bar when I noticed a pretty girl at the corner of the train. She was all alone on her bench, reading a book. Her golden blonde hair was pinned behind her ears, her skirt wasn’t too short but enough to show some leg, and her hand kept tapping on the book. I have seen many stunners in my 21 years but this is as close to perfection as you can get. Her beauty is very subtle but radiant. For a moment I’m trying to wonder why I am feeling this way. I haven’t had a girlfriend in a while but I do envy some of the guys getting some girls whenever they can, or in the case of my friend Drew, getting married.

“Earth to Schenner!” PK hit me across the head. “Earth to pretty boy!”

“Wha-what?” I snapped out of my thoughts.

“I just said we need to find you some hot girl in Europe!” PK repeated what he said. “Think of all the Euro honeys out there.”

“Yeah and the best part is that what happens there, stays there.” Brayden added. “Come on, there’s lots of ‘Red Light Districts’ all over Europe.”

“Umm okay.” I agreed but continued to look at the girl at the corner. I managed to see a simple smile from her. She must like what she was reading. “Guys, I’ll be right back.” I got up and was ready to put myself out there for this girl.

“Lucien-L’Allier...” The computerized announcer called as many people are exiting and entering the train. Sadly I saw the girl walking out of the train and walked up the subway. I’ve missed my chance on something before going to Europe.

“Aw, Luke’s bird has flown the coop.” Brayden teased me as I returned to my seat. “Don’t worry, you’ll find someone hotter in Europe.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It’s been 3 days since I’ve seen that girl on the train and I still couldn’t get her off my mind. As I wait for the gate to open on the Alitalia flight, I wonder if she’s out there. However, the boys are right. Europe has very beautiful women and it wouldn’t be a problem to hook up with someone while I’m there. The 10 days we’re going to have is plenty of time for that. We’ve decided on Italy first before spending the rest of our trip in Spain. I decided to give Drew’s fiancée a call since our flight was delayed.

“Hey Janelle. How’s everything over there?” I spoke on my phone while the other guys were goofing around at the book store.

“Tiring. I’ve been trying to call Drew but it seems like your reception sucks at the airport.” Janelle laughed as I heard her friend Rene singing along to “Barbie Girl”. It’s weird to think that Drew and Janelle are about to get married in a few weeks. I know they are young but it seems like they are truly meant to be.

“Speaking of your future husband, he’s actually bullshitting at the book store. How’s wedding planning?”

“Don’t ask. I want something simple and yet it’s becoming a bigger wedding than I thought. Too bad I’m not coming along but I’m sure you guys will be fine.” As she continued to talk about last minute wedding details, I heard the announcement that the boys and I needed to board on the plane.

“I gotta get going. I just wanted to say hello before we head to Italy.” I walked into the gate and presented my ticket before going in.

“Luke, remember take care of Drew. Have him call me once he’s on the plane. He might get a better reception there.”

“I know. Take care.” I hung up the phone as I reached for my seat towards the rear of the plane. I relaxed when Drew and Brayden joined in the row with me. PK and Steven were sitting right behind us.

“Luke, you missed it.” Brayden laughed as he put in his seatbelt.

“Yeah. Some runaway bride running in hysterics to get on the plane.” Drew added. “I guess she wanted to be as far as the groom as possible. Oh I hope Janelle doesn’t do that.” I didn’t pay much attention as look into the window and let the plane us to Italy.