‹ Prequel: Goth & Donut
Status: expect a chapter a day until New Years... bringing the story back to Mibba

Chasing Claudia

Rome, Italy

The Roman morning shone right through my window as we arrive at Rome. I slept through the entire flight, not wanting to hear PK and Brayden’s plans of wooing every Italian woman in this country. Customs went smoothly for us as we grabbed a taxi and head to our hotel for the next 3 days. While I’ve been to Europe before, this was my first time in Italy. It definitely looks better in person than in the movies.

Luckily our hotel room was ready when we arrived there around 10am so we can get over the jetlag. We booked a “family room” so the five of us can share a room together. We wanted to save some money so we can go partying. My brother and I shared one while Steven and PK shared the other. Drew, by luck of the draw, gets his own bed.

Our couple of days was spent on the usual tourist locations such as the Coliseum, the Pantheon, and the Catacombs. However, during the evening, we would go to clubs and bars. While I am having a great time with the boys, I still thought about that girl. There were hot girls all over me at the club yet that girl was still on my mind. I look up into the Roman evening and pray to give me a sign if I would ever see her again.

On our third day in Italy, the boys just wanted to sleep in after partying. I love hanging with the boys but I know there’s still a few things to see in Rome before heading to Naples tomorrow. The Vatican was only a couple of miles from the hotel so I decided to pay a visit there. When I arrived at the Vatican, I didn’t expect to be that big. While every goes there for St. Peter’s, there were plenty of religious gardens and buildings around. I went inside the Cathedral first and took in the sights. I’m not religious but can easily appreciate the architecture of the church.

I’ve made midway through the chapel when I saw a blonde that looks like her on a pew praying. I stood there for a moment and took in her beauty. Her blonde hair was loose and dressed conservatively. I felt bad that I was lusting after a woman at a holy site. She got up and walked over to the area in which you’re supposed to climb up the dome of the basilica. I couldn’t help but follow her to the stairs that leads you the climb to the top. However, there were many people climbing at the same time and I lost her. I climbed along with everyone else, hoping to reach the top and to her.

After reaching the top, I had to take a moment to catch my breath. Even for an athlete like myself, it was a very hard climb up to the top. Once I gone through the rush of tourists and pilgrims, I was able to see her. I might be imagining things as I only see her from the back. It was until she turned around is when I saw her; she was the girl at the subway in Montreal. She looked more beautiful close up with her brown eyes staring right at me. She smiled as she tries to makes her way to the exit. However, something dropped on the floor from her hands. I quickly picked it up and gave it to her. Another smile came out of her face before she turns away and walked out.

I came back to the hotel, disappointed that I missed out talking to her. However, I thought of myself how we were able to see each other again in a place like Rome? Somehow the man upstairs was working overtime to get us in the same place at the same time.

“Well, well, isn’t it our lovesick Romeo!” PK joked as he threw a pillow at me.

“Where were you all afternoon?” My brother asked, watching some Italian show.

“The Vatican.” I sat down and grabbed a bottle of water in the mini fridge.

“You? At The Vatican?” Drew laughed as he came out of the shower. “And I’m the Pope!”

“No really guys. It wasn’t that bad. You should see the view from the top. You can see half of Rome there.”

“Well that’s nice.” PK shrugged it off and reached for the closet. “Oh that girl we met last night invited us to a club in the city. She’s bringing her friends along.”

“Yeah at least we can get lucky before heading to Naples tomorrow.” Steven added, eating a bag of chips.

“Are you still thinking about that girl in Montreal, bro?” Brayden asked. “I didn’t take a really good look but she had to be pretty if you’re being all gooey eyed about her.”

We were at the train station ready to leave to Naples this morning. Last night was fun thanks to our Italian guide and her friends. Even though we ended the night early, they showed us a good time. As a matter of fact, my brother got lucky with one of the friends by making out near the bathroom. We were waiting to board the train when that girl came to the station, entering the other platform to Florence. It seems her train is leaving around the same time as ours. Fate had brought us together twice in these many days, but this time if anything is going to happen, it has to right now.

“Guys, I’ll be right back.” I took my bag and walked to the stairs, hoping I can change my ticket at the last minute. Since we had the Europass, we didn’t have to shelf extra money for basic train tickets. After asking the lady at the counter if I can switch my ticket to Florence, she was able to give it to me. The guys than began to ran after me as I was running to the other platform and catch that train to Florence.

“Luke, what are you doing?” Steven yelled as he and the boys were catching up to me.

“Luke, come back!” PK and Drew shouted over and over as I got on the train. I am determined to talk this girl whatever it takes.

As I see my friends stand at the platform helplessly as the train pulls away, I wonder if I did the right decision of following my own gut. My friends will be there when I come back, either in Italy or back in the States and Canada but what if I never see this girl again? I saw a seat next to hers that is empty and thought this is my chance to start a conversation with her.

“Is this seat taken?” I asked as she pulled her purse off the seat. She gave a quick smile as she reaches for her Pod. “Grazie.”

“You’re welcome.” She smiled as she turns on and listens to music.