Status: Finished<3

Close Your Eyes

Chapter 4

After Eve was too far off, fading into the horizon, I found myself trudging toward the garage with the pharmacy bag hanging lifeless in my right hand, and my cigarette still burning in my left hand. My stomach began gurgling and twisting around; signaling the need for some medicine. When I strolled into the room, my stomach couldn’t suppress it any longer and I puked up more alcohol-mixed bile. Grasping my stomach, I groaned in pain and squeezed my eyes shut. Stupid alcohol, making my stomach feel like shit on fire.

Outside, I heard a car screeching down the road and pull up in front of my abode. While I downed some Pepto and prepared to force down some Advil, I headed toward the window facing the street to see my hysterical mother screaming bloody murder. Knowing she was trying to get downstairs, I strolled out of my room and through the garage doors. Upon seeing my arrival, she shouted, “Get in this fucking car. Now.” There were only two reasons why she’d say this: she finally realized life is better without her eldest son taking up space in the garage or it was my brother.

My brother Devon has a congenital disease called Orthogenesis Imperfecta. Because of it, his bones are brittle and he tends to fracture them almost as easily as I can flick on my Zippo lighter. From what we’re aware, there’s no known cure for OI, but there are treatments to increase bone strength to prevent fracture. Because there’s no cure, Devon isn’t allowed to do anything sports-related, or almost anything for that matter. Hell, he could turn over while asleep and break a leg; cough, and break a rib. And it was as my mother forced me into the passenger seat that I was sure it had to do with Devon. It was always about Devon.

As my mother sped down the streets, my eyes flickered to the sidewalk and noticed Eve was about to cross the street. My mother didn’t seem too inclined to halt the car. “Hey…mom!” I growled and she never took her eyes off the road.

“We’ll beat her,” she whispered, more to herself than to me. “She’s the least of my importance right now.” Yes, but if I let you plow her over, I’d feel guilty. Not to mention, you’d go to jail and how would you be able to care for Devon there? I thought was bitter sarcasm. Against my normal mentality, I stretched my leg over to her side of the little vehicle and kicked her foot off the gas before slamming on the brake. She slapped my cheek but didn’t try to speed up the car. At this point, Eve had cowered back to the sidewalk after hearing the screeching on tire wheels I’m sure. She had her palms over her ears and a pained tear ran down her cheek.

Finally, my mother sighed and rolled down the window to speak to her. However, after inspecting her, I’m sure my mother was questioning why her eyes were closed. “Hey, umm… honey, I’m sorry about that. I’m just in a bit of a hurry.” Eve’s head snapped up and she shook her head.

“That’s fine.” She stated, scurrying across the street. My mother groaned, before we were speeding down the streets again.

“What a strange girl,” she said. “Did you see her? Her eyes were closed and she was cowering like it was the end of the world when we stopped. At least you didn’t turn out like that.” I stayed silent, not in the mood to fight with her even though everything she said was a lie.

~**~**~**~**~

The doctor waved his hands around as he spoke and it annoyed me to no end. I wasn’t sure if he thought it helped him prove his point or he just did it for fun. He explained to my parents that Devon had fallen from the monkey bars at his school gym and broke one of his legs, an arm, and a wrist. My mother had tears in her eyes, even though it really wasn’t that bad and my father just nodded and stood erect like a soldier. While they were in the middle of the conversation, I snuck away from them and entered the room where my brother lay still. Upon my arrival, his eyes stared at me and watched as I walked from the door to a seat near the window.

Silence. We stared into each other’s eyes. His face began to flush a deep red and he glared at me.

His lips moved, so quickly and quietly I almost didn’t hear him.

“I hate you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just my little filler chapter so you can see more on the family. Opinions? Do you like the prologue (seeing as I only just added that yesterday)?

Hope you enjoyed!!

~[Mi]Kayla