Status: Finished<3

Close Your Eyes

Chapter 5

As soon as my parents walked into my brother’s hospital room, I was leaving with my mother’s keys jingling in my pocket. Neither of them seemed to notice my leave, thank god. My eyes flickered around the hallway as I tried to remember where the hell I was supposed to go. Taking a chance, I turned down the left wing and soon was met by an old lady in a wheelchair. She must have been, like, eighty or something but even so she was speeding around that hallway like a NASCAR racer. Once in awhile, she’d spin around in circles and fly into a room. When for a second I’d believe she wouldn’t come back out, I’d see her fly right out of there and zip down the halls again; all the while squealing like a five year old. Finally, a doctor took notice of the woman just as she nearly ran me over and jogged up to us.

“I’m so sorry, sir…” The doctor apologized for the old woman, who was staring at me with wide eyes. “She always acts like this when her family comes to visit…” Suddenly, two young children – a boy and a girl – scurried out of the room the old lady had recently flew out of. The two were nearly clones of each other with bright eyes and blonde hair.

“That was so cool, Grandma!” the young boy squealed in delight as he tugged at his stained blue shirt. “When I get old, I’m going to be just like you!” The doctor chuckled a bit as the old lady’s shock at my appearance turned into sheer delight. The little girl stood timidly behind the boy; fumbling with her fingers and meeting no one’s eyes in particular. A white dress flowed loosely off her tiny body and she wore no shoes. She must have realized she was being watched because she stared up and looked right at me, her curly hair cascading down her back. A small grin appeared on her lips and she waved her petite hand in my direction. Without thinking, I waved back with my pointer and middle finger. I paused, turned to look at my fingers. What was I doing? However, just as I turned back to face the girl again, she was gone.

~**~**~**~**~

After I left the hospital, my eyes lingered on my mother’s car. Chances are, she wasn’t going to need it for awhile. So, without looking back at the clinic I unlocked the driver’s side and was soon speeding out of the parking lot and into the quiet street.

This road was the most familiar to me besides the one I lived on for this is where most of my old friends lived when we were all still together. My eyes shifted to the right as I stared at a couple stumbling out of a cheery house; white picket fence and all. The male was an old friend of mine; I knew him almost instantly as Hayden. He and I were friends back in the beginning of high school; two opposites would be a good way to put it. I was the dark hair kid with a look on my face that could even make the teachers nervous, and he was the blonde football player who could charm a married woman. Of course, our differences ultimately ended our friendship. For a split second, I saw his tired eyes roam from the bleach-blonde bimbo (AKA: his pregnant girlfriend) to my car. Our eyes met and realization almost appeared to flash in his eyes, but by then I was already out of his sight.

A few houses down was the home of another old friend, Warren. As I stared at it, I remembered how the two of us used to play basketball in his driveway; one on one. He’d invite Hayden over and the three of us would shoot hoops for hours on end. The last I heard, he got a full scholarship to college as their basketball player. Then, there was Levi across the street and Tyler next door to him.

My eyes laid on a single house and my foot hit the break. Slowing down, I stared at the overgrown grass in the front lawn, the peeling paint of the house, and the emptiness it held inside. This had been the home Evan; my best friend. He was my twin in almost every way with similar hair styles and color, similar clothing choice, and a similar family situation. His older sister had cancer and he rarely saw her, or his parents. Whenever they weren’t home, he’d come to my house and the two of us would hang out until they were. We’d talk about everything together. My eyes shut and slowly I pressed the gas pedal and left the house.

What was this girl doing to me?

As I opened my eyes, my foot immediately slammed on the brake. In front of me, Eve was cowering and holding her hands to her ears. Speak of the Devil, I thought with a sigh. For a moment, Eve didn’t move and I just watched her as she slowly removed her hands from her ears. With a sigh, I rolled down the window and called out to her, “Hey.” Her head perked up and she looked in my direction with a grin.

“Hey Blake!” she called back with a little wave. I looked her up and down before meeting her closed eyes. Why the hell did I keep seeing this girl? I mean, sure it’s a small town but really.

After thinking for a second, I sighed. “Get in.” She paused, but soon obliged and made her way up to the vehicle and groped the exterior until she reached the door. Not long later, she was plopped in the car in the passenger seat. Her head rested on the seat and I could see she was breathing in the leather. I asked, “So where are you headed?” Her little grin spread across her lips and I should have expected what was coming.

“Dunno yet,” she chirped. “Maybe I’ll go to the park, or go get an ice cream.” She faced me as I hit the gas and scowled.

“You like doing that, don’t you?” I grumbled, as I headed down the road to my own street. When she started giggling, my eyes flashed over to her to see her face squished up against the window. I scowled again and asked, “What the hell are you doing?”

She didn’t answer me for awhile, however continued pressing her face against the glass. Finally, as my house came into view she spoke, “When you look at me, what do you see?”

I pulled into the driveway and cut the engine before looking at her. Now, only her cheek rested against the glass and I focused on her emotionless expression; like she was pondering something. I answered, “I see blonde hair, pale skin, and closed eyes.” She considered this before nodding. For awhile, it was silent in the car as I relaxed in its interior.

Without meaning to, I felt myself ask, “What do you see?” Eve’s face changed into confusion while she considered this question like it was one of the SATs. However, I knew she knew the answer to it. Finally, a sweet smile appeared on her lips and she sat back in her seat.

“Close your eyes.” She ordered in a soft voice. Confused, I reluctantly obeyed.

Suddenly, two frigid hands grabbed hold of mine and my eyes flashed open. She must have realized something wrong and released my hands. There was a pout on her lips as she grumbled, “You don’t listen very well.” I stared at her profile with an apathetic stare as she continued to jut her lip out. A groan escaped my lips.

“Fine.” I grumbled back and the smile reappeared on her lips. Slowly, I closed my eyes and waited for the two cold hands to grab mine. When they did, I felt her move them up and confusion would have been apparent on my face. What the hell is she doing?

“Eyes.” The tips of my fingers touched her closed eyes.

“Nose.” My finger moved slowly to the bridge of her nose as she murmured each body part. She continued this – mouth, ears, hair, chin, neck, shoulders – and every time she said a body part she would place my hands there. Confusion still clouded my mind.

“Heart,” she whispered, and beneath my finger tips I could hear the light flutter of taps that her heart made. “That’s what I see.” She dropped my hands and I heard the car door open but I didn’t open my eyes. I pondered what she said for a few minutes, trying to make sense of it, before I gave up.

I opened my eyes expecting to see her still sitting there or standing in front of the car, but she was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the three stars!!!! :DDD That's made me incredibly happy ^-^
I hope you enjoyed this update!! It was fun to write (:

~[Mi]Kayla