Status: Finished<3

Close Your Eyes

Chapter 6

For awhile, I sat there alone in my mother’s vehicle, staring at the spot where Eve had been not long before. My hands were still tingling from how cold hers had been against mine and even though it was moderately warm outside I found myself fumbling with the heater. As it spewed out warm air, I licked my chapped lips and reached over to the passenger side to shut the door before driving out of my driveway. I had changed my mind and decided it would be more enjoyable to go around town than stay home. The car roared to life as I hit the gas and drove away from the suburban home while mentally cursing.

What is wrong with me? I grumbled profanities to myself as I turned down the road toward the center of town. Since when do I go driving around aimlessly? At this rate, I’m just asking to see Eve! Biting my lip, I continued speeding down the road and avoided looking at pedestrians in fear I’d see her again. Afraid, because then she’d think I wanted to see her.

By the time I realized where I was, I was in the country outside the town and staring at cows and chickens running and grazing. My nose crinkled in disgust as I continued down the road until it came to a dead end. “What the hell!” I shouted, jumping out of the car and slamming it shut. “So basically, I just drove out of town for twenty minutes just to wind up at a dead end?! Goddamn it!” As I shouted this, I kicked the car door shut and it left a dent. Ignoring this, I wandered away from the vehicle and into the woods out of frustration. After a few minutes, I caught sight of a building in the distance and found myself walking toward it. Once I reached it, I assessed the wood cabin and decided no one lived there; in other words, I could go in.

When I entered, my mouth dropped open. It was filled with porcelain dolls of all shapes and sizes, colors and materials. In curiosity, I walked up to a doll house in the back to see a couple sitting at the table eating what looked like a piece of bread. The male had dark brown hair and he was barely sitting in the chair; most of this body was under the table as if the owner of the dolls could get him to stay there. The female on the other hand was a little blonde and she was one of the smaller dolls and couldn’t even reach the table. I snorted and took the little blond and brunette before taking a look at all the other dolls. Seriously, who had time to collect so many?

Then, an idea popped into my mind and a satisfied grin appeared on my lips. I knew the perfect way to make sure I wasn’t going soft toward other. With the brunette and blonde in one of my hands, I fingered through my pockets for my lighter and a cigarette. Once outside, I through the two dolls on the ground and grinned at them menacingly. Spinning on my heel, I faced the wood building and flicked on the lighter. I didn’t need to do much more; the fire was taken by the wind and headed straight for the little cabin, instantly setting it aflame. A dark chuckle poured out of my lips as the fire grew until the whole cabin was burning. I flicked on the lighter again and lit the Marlboro cigarette while grabbing the two dolls off the ground and heading back to the car. I was proud that I could set the building on fire but as I sat in the car and placed the two dolls in the passenger seat, I stared at the couple and my breath hitched.

What the hell am I doing?!

Grabbing the two dolls, I flung them back into the woods before I found myself going to get them again.

~**~**~**~**~

As I pulled up to the hospital, the first thing I noticed was my parents and Devon were leaving the hospital together. This I found confusing, for I would have expected them to keep their cripple son in the hospital for a bit longer. Quickly, I parked in the same area as it had been hours before (or at least, I hoped it was). Luckily, I was able to get in the back of the car and appear calm enough for them to not suspect anything. My mother took one look at me and her nose crinkled. “When did you take my keys?”

I played dumb. “You told me I could go out to the car and listen to music while you guys did whatever.” She studied my face and then the care before her face contorted.

“What the hell is this?” her voice was high pitched and I could only hope she was talking about a weird insect and not the dent I left in the door.

“What the hell is what?” I continued playing dumb; maybe I’d get somewhere. Behind her, I saw Devon start laughing while my father scowled at the car just as my mother was.

“This dent!” She squealed, her face going red. “Why the hell is there a dent in my new car?!” I placed a finger on my chin and feigned deep thought as my mother freaked out, my father went around the car to the passenger seat and Devon limbed to the seat beside mine.

“I don’t…” I mumbled before my face lit up. “Oh! Well there was this one guy who hit the car as he was parking.” My mother stared up at me; her eyes redder than the cabin had been. However, despite the fact that this lie was preposterous she merely through open the car door and jumped in. Minutes later, it was completely silent in the car and the ride home seemed to go on forever. Finally, our house came into view; however, upon seeing it I froze and resisted smashing my head against the window. Sitting there below the tree in our yard, Eve sat with her head in her hands.

My eyes flickered to my parents, who were staring at the girl in confusion. “Blake…” my mother began. “Isn’t that the girl we saw coming up to the hospital?” I didn’t have to say anything because just as we pulled in Eve’s head perked up.

“Blake?” she called out blindly and my family shot me a look as I turned to see that she had tears rolling down her cheeks. When I turned back to my family, they were watching her.

“Is she your girlfriend?” my mother asked, her brow raised. My face turned bright red and yelled back with a “no!”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Devon flash a mischievous grin. “She’s pretty.” And, before I knew it, he was stumbling out of the car with my mother yelling after him as he grabbed his crutches and headed toward Eve. From the car, I couldn’t hear what Devon was saying to Eve but it was making her giggle. I found myself fly out of the car and toward the two.

Before I could say anything, Eve turned to me with a smile with tears still streaming from her closed eyes. “This boy is such a sweet talker. Is he your brother?” I nodded before I realized she wouldn’t see.

“Yeah,” I grumbled. “That’s Devon.” She outstretched her head and at landed on Devon’s head. He jumped and surprise found its way on his face.

“Nice to meet you, Dev!” she grinned and ruffled his hair. “I’m Evelyn, but please just call me Eve. You’re nothing like your brother.” There was a long pause as her face went beat red and she pulled her hand away and placed them on her cheeks. “I-I didn’t… I-I mean… you see, y-you’re both so different! I-I… y-you know…” Her hands fell from her cheek to the ground and she nervously pulled at the grass.

Next to me, I saw Devon place his unbroken hand on her shoulder and Eve went frigid. “Don’t worry, I know what you mean!” He removed his hand and headed to the house where our parents stood, having left the car. My parents watched the two of us, before entering the house. When I was sure they weren’t coming back out, I sunk down in front of Eve.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” My voice was rough and unsympathetic but her head perked up a bit at the sound of my voice. Her bottom lip quivered.

“I-I…” she stuttered, playing with her hands. “I d-didn’t mean anything… w-when I said you and your brother were n-nothing alike.” I sighed, so she was still worried about that?

Placing a hand on the side of her face, I murmured, “Seriously, don’t worry about it. I mean before–” Then, I noticed what I’d done. Eve’s face was beginning to burn up and I immediately rip my hand away from her cheek. Silence followed as I averted my eyes to the street with an aggravated look on my face.

I’m really losing it now, I growled to myself, following a line of curses.

Suddenly, Eve’s shaky voice filled my ears. “T-They’re all gone…” My eyes flickered to her tear stained face as new droplets formed in her eyes.

“What?” I asked, turning my body to face her.

Her eyes filled again. “M-My dolls. T-They’re all gone! A-And the cabin! I-It’s all g-gone!”

As she broke down in front of me, I felt an incredible amount of weight drop on top of me.

Oh shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoops. Seems our little Blake-y made a mistake-y XD

Sorry it's been awhile ^-^' I just wrote this today actually! :) Hope you've been enjoying it!!

~[Mi]Kayla